Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:36:24 -0700
From: Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>
Subject: GTW rebuild herald

I have a photo of GTW 460305, a steel rebuild of one
of their double
sheathed cars. The logo is a tilted square containing
the underlined
text 'GRAND TRUNK WESTERN'. The logo appears to have
a different color
background than the car. I have heard that this
background was red.
Can anyone confirm? This is not a 'Maple Leaf' logo.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Terry Harrison <nkpman@...>

Guys, you need to get the new GTW book by Morning Sun. Jerry Pinkepank is author.

On page 7 is 6330, a 4-8-4, in Chicago and it has a tilted RED background herald. Pic dates from May, 1954.

But then they show them with green back grounds too. Best pick your time frame and gather pics from then. But get the book.

Terry

Don Valentine

Quoting Terry Harrison <nkpman@...>:

Guys, you need to get the new GTW book by Morning Sun. Jerry Pinkepank

is author.

On page 7 is 6330, a 4-8-4, in Chicago and it has a tilted RED
background herald. Pic dates from May, 1954.

But then they show them with green back grounds too. Best pick your
time frame and gather pics from then. But get the book.

No book is needed to answer the question, Terry. You respond about steam
motive power, on which the GTW used both red and green background heralds,
unlike its parent CNR that always seemed to use red background heralds on
steam motive power and sister CV which is occasionally said to have used
green backgrounds on steampower but for which no hard evidence has ever been
found to my knowledge. On GTW boxcars, however, I have never seen any
documentation for a red background herald. Do you have evidence of such?

Take care, Don Valentine

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@s...> wrote:
I have a photo of GTW 460305, a steel rebuild of one of their
double
sheathed cars. The logo is a tilted square containing the
underlined
text 'GRAND TRUNK WESTERN'. The logo appears to have a different
color
background than the car. I have heard that this background was
red.
Can anyone confirm? This is not a 'Maple Leaf' logo.

Ted,

I am not a GTW expert, but found the following info with RailCad GTW
decals I purchased at Naperville several years ago. The 591200-
591399 series auto cars built in 1941 had the car color as the
background for the tilted square or "wafer" as it was called. The
1944 built 591400-591599 series had a black background. By the late
1940's a green background was used. I have a AC&F builder photo of
GTW 515668, built in 1949, with a dark background on the wafer, but
can't determine if it is green or not. Ed H. would probably know.
Several box cars in the Herron GTW tape show having green wafers. I
assume the backgound color on the other box cars would follow these
time lines. My question, when did the "green leaf" logo begin being
used on box cars?

Chet French
Dixon, IL

HAWK0621@...

In a message dated 9/29/03 12:13:55 PM, cfrench@... writes:

I have a AC&F builder photo of
GTW 515668, built in 1949, with a dark background on the wafer, but
can't determine if it is green or not. Ed H. would probably know.
Several box cars in the Herron GTW tape show having green wafers. I
assume the backgound color on the other box cars would follow these
time lines. My question, when did the "green leaf" logo begin being
used on box cars?
Chet,
According to AC&F bill of materials for lot 3394, series 515500-515999, the
entire car including underframe and trucks was painted Mineral Brown with white
stencils and green background for the monogram. For 50' cars, series
595950-596049 built 5-54 as AC&F lot number 4245, the entire car including underframe
and trucks was painted Glidden Freight Car Red with white stencils and Green
background for monogram.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

HAWK0621@...

In a message dated 9/29/03 7:37:52 PM, newrail@... writes:

Stafford can jump in an correct me if I'm wrong here, Ed, but IIRC the
green maple leaf herald didn't come into use until the mid to late 1950's.
Too late for most of us!

Don,
GTW's 50' box cars built by AC&F in 5-54 had the tilted box monogram. Their
next box car order with AC&F was a series of 50' cars built 3-57 and had the
maple leaf. So the change apparently took place sometime between these two
dates.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Don Valentine

Quoting HAWK0621@...:

writes:

[...]

Thanks, Ed. That is five years earlier than I've been able to find evidence
for the green maple leaves previously, which probably dates it back to at
least 1948 for the CNR proper. Maybe I can get away with one yet!!!

Take care, Don Valentine