Models to Naperville

golden1014

Gents,

Ted Culotta and I have been discussing bringing models
to Naperville. What is the protocol for models and
display? Is there a private, locked room where we can
leave them overnight, or is the model display just for
an hour or two every day, or just for one day?

I'll arrive on Wednesday afternoon and will be staying
at the Residence Inn in Warrenville (about eight miles
from the Holiday Inn). I've got some free nights to
burn there, plus the wife and son want to join me and
hit the zoo, etc. while I'm at the meet. Can anyone
suggest cool things to do in the area for families?

Thanks!
John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

=====

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Tim O'Connor

John, models are simply left in the display room.
There is always someone there while the doors are
open. A few things have been damaged but I have not
heard of any thefts. After hours the room is locked
up. It's right off the lobby and restaurant so it's
impossible to enter the room without anyone seeing.
Models have to be removed on Saturday evening.

The zoo is good. Also there is a Children's Museum,
Naper Village (kind of like Plimouth Plantation or a
very mini-Williamsburg), the Field Museum, the Art
Institute, etc etc etc...

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Tourism/ThingsToDo/Museums.html#ST

And there's always BASEBALL! I think last year there
was quite a lot of howling and cheering going on in
the bar while we watched the World Series Angels on TV.

Ted Culotta and I have been discussing bringing models
to Naperville. What is the protocol for models and
display? Is there a private, locked room where we can
leave them overnight, or is the model display just for
an hour or two every day, or just for one day?

I'll arrive on Wednesday afternoon and will be staying
at the Residence Inn in Warrenville (about eight miles
from the Holiday Inn). I've got some free nights to
burn there, plus the wife and son want to join me and
hit the zoo, etc. while I'm at the meet. Can anyone
suggest cool things to do in the area for families?

Thanks!
John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> -->> NOTE EMAIL CHANGE <<--
Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Hendrickson

John Golden writes:

...the wife and son want to join me and
hit the zoo, etc. while I'm at the meet. Can anyone
suggest cool things to do in the area for families?
Near Naperville is the Morton arboretum, a vast forest of deciduous trees
where the color of the turning leaves can be absolutely stunning if the
timing is right. Several years ago, Naperville happened to coincide with
the fall colors at their peak and my wife spent the better part of a day
there just strolling around and taking pictures.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

CBarkan@...

In a message dated 9/27/03 10:32:29 AM, timboconnor@... writes:

<< A few things have been damaged but I have not heard of any thefts. >>

A few years back I was a speaker and I had some slides stolen from my
carousel between presentations. Martin and I were both rather shocked of course. I
don't think this sort of behavior is representative of 99 & 44/100ths percent
of the attendees, but it just takes one. Keep in mind that the place is open
to the public and anyone can mosey on in, not just our little phraternity of
phriends of the pheight car.

thompson@...

A few years back I was a speaker and I had some slides stolen from my
carousel between presentations.
It would be harder to steal your Powerpoint--unless of course they get
the entire laptop! (word to the wise--keep your eyes on your laptop when
out in public). I've been with people who lost them in hotel check-in
lines, and in bars, times when you are paying attention to something else.

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., CBarkan@a... wrote:
In a message dated 9/27/03 10:32:29 AM, timboconnor@c... writes:

<< A few things have been damaged but I have not heard of any
thefts. >>

A few years back I was a speaker and I had some slides stolen from
my
carousel between presentations. Martin and I were both rather
shocked of course. I
don't think this sort of behavior is representative of 99 &
44/100ths percent
of the attendees, but it just takes one. Keep in mind that the
place is open
to the public and anyone can mosey on in, not just our little
phraternity of
phriends of the pheight car.

Stan Rydarowicz had several of his models stolen either last year or
the year before.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Greg Martin

Hey Yuze Gize,

Even Naperville is not impervious to theft. Two years ago Stan Radarywckz
(SP) lost a sizable investment at Naperville. Not only his completed cars but
also the things he had brought for sale. How do you place a value on something
that was completed, you simply can't...

Just be careful at all times.

Greg Martin

Brian Termunde

Just a quick comment on the below. I work at a hotel, and I would not depend on the fact that the room is near the Front Desk and the Restaurant.

This is for two reasons, we can be rather busy (as can the foodies), and simply may not notice someone entering the room (now breaking down the doors, that's probably another story! <G>). The other reason is that we do not always know WHO is supposed to be able to access any particular room (meeting room that is). Someone could, if they gained access to the room, walk out with every model there, and the Front Desk staff might not know to say anything about it, as we have people setting up and breaking down meeting rooms all day and night.

I would have the hotel lock the room, and provide them with the authorized people that can access the room, that way security (and the Front Desk staff, if they are informed) know who is permitted to access the room.

We seldom have problems, but it is better to be safe then sorry! After all, you all worked hard on those steam era freight car models (whew!!! I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to have the obligatory S/E F/C content! <G>), and we do want to keep them safe.

Take Care!

Brian R. Termunde
Burbank, CA
"Ship and Travel the Grand Canyon Line!"

In a message dated 9/27/2003 10:35:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, timboconnor@... writes:

John, models are simply left in the display room.
There is always someone there while the doors are
open. A few things have been damaged but I have not
heard of any thefts. After hours the room is locked
up. It's right off the lobby and restaurant so it's
impossible to enter the room without anyone seeing.
Models have to be removed on Saturday evening.

maufderheideyfp <maufderheide@...>

John,

In addition to the excellent ideas brought forth already I can add
some other downtown attractions. Your family could drive downtown,
or take the Metra train from the Naperville or Route 59 stops. Maps
and schedules are at www.metrarail.com. My kids think the train ride
is the whole adventure and are surprised when we do something else
when we get downtown. There are circulator buses which go from the
train stations to these places. Downtown attractions:

-Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier (downtown) for grade school
age kids. It is fun to just be out on the pier-there is a food court
there as well and a Ferris wheel. Usually some interesting boats
docked. Also a good test of their fortitude on cold, windy Chicago
days.
-The downtown "museum campus" which includes the Field Museum of
natural history (dinosaurs galore), the Adler Planetarium, and the
Shedd Aquarium (including a new shark/reef exhibit)
-Chicago River tours-may depend on weather that time of year.
-Sears Tower and Hancock Tower observation decks.
-Art Institute-depending on your kids interests this can be great or
not. My son could spend all day in the medieval armor gallery.
-and of course shopping, shopping, shopping…

Regards,

Mike (playing with small children when I'm not playing with trains)