Modeling freight car distribution.

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Howdy,

Continuing on my theme of trying to get the freight car balance correct
for my 1944 PRR layout, I've come up with the following. For boxcars
I use the regional percentages for 1943 and the percentages within each
region owned by the major railroads, provided by y'all (esp.Tim
Gilbert). I assigned Ted's list of signature cars, and began to
investigate which car classes are appropriate for each road. I will
need around 100 foreign box cars. The cars listed below with an
asterix are from Ted's list. The remainder are either cars I have
identified as being the major car, or that I have in my collection. In
some cases, such as the UP cars, I've given the fleet totals.

New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36 rebuilt (F&C)
1 B&M - ARA SS (F&C) *?
1 MEC

Great Lakes 18.1%
9 NYC (not PLE)
2 x USRA Steel *
50 single door (P2K)
2 Erie
1937 AAR, (Sun) *
50 single door (P2K)
2 Wabash
SS Autocar (Sunshine) *
1 GTW
1 NKP
1 DL&W - 1937 AAR (IMWX)*

Central East 18.1% (REMOVED PRR)
5 B&O
M53 Wagon top (West Shore) *
2 x M26 (X29 clone) *
1 RDG
1 CNJ
1 Monon
1 C&EI

Pocahontas 3.1%
3 C&O
USRA SS (Westerfield 3303)
1 N&W

Southern 14.6%
4 Southern
1937 AAR (RC) *
DS Autocar (Sunshine) *
36 truss rod (Westerfield) *
3Illinois Central
2 L&N
2 ACL
2 SAL
B-3/4/5 ARA SS (F&C?)*
AF-1 Round roof (Sunshine)

Northwest 16.6%
4 Milwaukee
1-2 SS boxcar (Sunshine) *
Rib side (Sunshine) *
3 GN
DS boxcar (Sunshine) *
3 CN&W
SS short (Sunshine) *
3 NP
DS boxcar (Sunshine) *
1Soo

Central West 19.3%
5 AT&SF
BX-11,12,13 SS (Westerfield) *
4 SP
Cotton Belt DS (Sunshine) *
B-50-13/14 (Sunshine) *
B-50-15/16 (Sunshine) *
4 UP
B-50-17 (Sunshine) (2282)
B-50-19/21/23 (RC?) (3065)
B-50-24/27 (Trix) (3357)
B-50-32/33 (Sunshine) (2749)
B-50-34/35 (PS-0, NEB&W) (50)
3 CB&Q
2 Rock Island

Southwest 7.6%
3 Mo Pac
Howe truss SS (Sunshine) *
2 SL&SF
SS boxcar (Sunshine) *
1 TN&O

You will note that there are some "holes" left...the cars above do not
add to 100. This gives me the flexibility to add in some unusual or
"rare" cars, at the right mix. Some others from Ted's list are:
CP minibox (F&C) *
LV wrong way (Sunshine/F&C) *

In addition, I have yet to identify many of the "signature cars" that
were not on Ted's list. Anyone with suggestions for the roads listed
in this table, please feel free to make them!! I am looking for the
dominant boxcar class for those roads (and hopefully, an HO scale
model!)

Happy Rails
Bruce

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:08 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36’ rebuilt (F&C)
Might want to consider a '37 AAR as the DS cars were dying fast and the
'37 AARs were coming on strong.

Great Lakes 18.1%
9 NYC (not PLE)
2 x USRA Steel *
50’ single door (P2K)
A Sunshine 1916 DS auto steel rebuild (out at Naperville) and a
Westerfield 1916 steel auto rebuild

2 Wabash
SS Autocar (Sunshine) *
Funaro - they are hoping to have them ready by the Ann Arbor show,
wheneverthat is....

1 NKP
Sunshine rebuilds do out at Naperville

Central East 18.1% (REMOVED PRR)

1 RDG
USRA steel type (no kit yet - although it's on the Ess Frt Cars list,
soooo....)

Pocahontas 3.1%
3 C&O
USRA SS (Westerfield 3303)
'37 AAR!!!!!

3Illinois Central
Funaro rebuilt SS auto car and Mod. '37 mini kit from Sunshine

2 ACL
Steel auto/furniture cars (O-18/21/23) no kit yet, but it's an Ess Frt
Car, soooo.....

Central West 19.3%
5 AT&SF
BX-11,12,13 SS (Westerfield) *
Mod. '37 AAR

3 CB&Q
XM-15/16 (future re-release from Sunshine)

2 Rock Island
Westerfield 'Fowler' clone. There were still a lot of them in '44

Southwest 7.6%
3 Mo Pac
Howe truss SS (Sunshine) *
'32 ARA

I would also sneak in a few small roads' cars to round things out.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:24 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

      3 CB&Q
XM-15/16 (future re-release from Sunshine)

Oops! XM-25/26

Ted Culotta

Don Valentine

Quoting Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>:

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:08 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36� rebuilt (F&C)
Might want to consider a '37 AAR as the DS cars were dying fast and the
'37 AARs were coming on strong.

Horse hockey! The NH 36 ft. rebuild is the quintessential New Haven
boxcar and is easily distinguishable from anything else except its B&M
twins which were rebuilt to a different appearance and, thus, would not
be confused with a New Haven one in our era. I have three NH 36 footers
and no NH 37 AAR's, could not be happier, and cannot believe a real
Nutmeger would recommend otherwise.

Great Lakes 18.1%
9 NYC (not PLE)
2 x USRA Steel *
50� single door (P2K)
A Sunshine 1916 DS auto steel rebuild (out at Naperville) and a
Westerfield 1916 steel auto rebuild
This makes a good degree of sense.

2 Wabash
SS Autocar (Sunshine) *
Funaro - they are hoping to have them ready by the Ann Arbor show,
wheneverthat is....

Hope they are better than the last ones!

Take care, Don Valentine

tim gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Quoting Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>:

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:08 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36� rebuilt (F&C)
Might want to consider a '37 AAR as the DS cars were dying fast and
the
'37 AARs were coming on strong.
Don Valentine replied:

Horse hockey! The NH 36 ft. rebuild is the quintessential New Haven

boxcar and is easily distinguishable from anything else except its B&M
twins which were rebuilt to a different appearance and, thus, would
not
be confused with a New Haven one in our era. I have three NH 36
footers
and no NH 37 AAR's, could not be happier, and cannot believe a real
Nutmeger would recommend otherwise.
Both Don and Ted are correct - depends upon what year is being examined.
The following is a comparison of the data from the 1/1943 and 4/1949
ORER's of New Haven Boxcars:

1/1943 4/1949
circa 36' 7,016 93
1937 40' 1,000 4,975
1-PS-1 40' - 998
Total NH Boxcars 8,016 6,066

Since Bruce Smith in interested in 1943, a 36 footer would be more
appropriate for his purposes.

Tim Gilbert

baltimoreterminal <ktravers@...>

Bruce,

How about the round roof 46000-46999 class B1, blt 1937 for the N&W
car. Probably could use one of the PRR cars in N&W paint. Or the
STMFC list posted information in message 23497 that had a link to a
photo for the 45500-45999, class B5, IH 10-4, blt 1940 with an
essentially flat roof, 8 panel sides, DNT 5/4 ends and a semi-
fishbelly sidesill. 48000-48999 were also B5's. built 1941-42.

For the B&O, in 1945, the major classes and numbers of cars were
M15D 1213 Wood-Dbl Shth-Westfield kit
M15H 1165 Wood-Dbl Shth-Westfield kit
M15J 2164 Wood-Dbl Shth-Westfield kit
M15F 2355 Wood-Dbl Shth-Westfield kit
M26 1971 like PRR X29
M26A 3460 like PRR X29
M26B 989 like PRR X29
M26C 991 like PRR X29
M26D 5443 like PRR X29, Duryea underframe
M26E 986 like PRR X29
M15K 1227 wagon top rebuild
M53 1886 wagon top--Pro Custom Hobbies kit
M53A 997 wagon top--Pro Custom Hobbies kit
M55A 900 built 1941: 10'-0" IH, Murphy panel roof, with
7' door--CB&T kit

Information taken from Summary of Equipment published by the B&O RR
Historical Society in 1987 by Richard Daniels.

For the C&EI, try 64000-64499. Built 1937, IH: 10-0, DNT 5/4 square
ends (Athearn kitbash??)

For the CNJ, try 21000-21799, built 1926, IH: 8-7. Kike PRR X29. Or
USRA sgl shth 20000-24999, built 1919, with Murphy 5/5/5 ends and
wood doors.

For the RDG, try 101000-102999, class XMu, blt 1930, IH 9-3, like PRR
X29, or 100000-100499, class XMt, blt 1925, IH: 8-8, like PRR X29,
except Murphy 7/8 ends. You could also use 5001-5999, class XMs,
USRA sgl shth, built 1919, with Murphy 5/5/5 ends and wood doors.

Travers, BaltimoreTerminal, 9-29-03

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@m...> wrote:
Howdy,

Continuing on my theme of trying to get the freight car balance
correct for my 1944 PRR layout, I've come up with the following.
For boxcars I use the regional percentages for 1943 and the
percentages within each region owned by the major railroads, provided
by y'all (esp.Tim Gilbert). I assigned Ted's list of signature cars,
and began to investigate which car classes are appropriate for each
road. I will need around 100 foreign box cars. The cars listed
below with an asterix are from Ted's list. The remainder are either
cars I have identified as being the major car, or that I have in my
collection. In some cases, such as the UP cars, I've given the fleet
totals.
snip

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 09:41 PM, baltimoreterminal wrote:

For the RDG, try 101000-102999, class XMu, blt 1930, IH 9-3, like PRR
X29, or 100000-100499, class XMt, blt 1925, IH: 8-8, like PRR X29,
except Murphy 7/8 ends.
Hello:

These are the same cars I recommended. However, they are not like the
ARA/X29 design. They are variations on the USRA steel design so widely
used on the NYC.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/rdg102751main.html

I will try to dig up my drawings of these and scan them.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 07:05 PM, newrail@... wrote:

Quoting Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>:
New England 2.5%
1 New Haven - 36 rebuilt (F&C)
1 B&M - ARA SS (F&C) *?
1 MEC

Great Lakes 18.1%
9 NYC (not PLE)
What????? No load of Vermont marble in a Rutland wood sided gon
(F&C)for
the finished product or a Rutland flat (again, F&C) for larger
finished stuff
or unfinished being shipped to a finishing plant in the south, or a
Rutland
40 ft. box with dolomite for paper or paint filler? The latter could
even
replace an NYC car. Jeez. What's a poor Vermonter to do??? (-:
and then
Horse hockey! The NH 36 ft. rebuild is the quintessential New Haven
boxcar and is easily distinguishable from anything else except its B&M
twins which were rebuilt to a different appearance and, thus, would not
be confused with a New Haven one in our era. I have three NH 36 footers
and no NH 37 AAR's, could not be happier, and cannot believe a real
Nutmeger would recommend otherwise.
Don,

At least I made you happy with the NH car <VBG>. Of course, the bottom
line is that you never know what will show up in the mix of cars out on
the road. The "gap" between the total and the planned number of cars
allows for some additional cars of interest (Like that Rutland box car,
or an A&S or...). Of course, I'm working on a detailed listing for
flats, gons, reefers and stock cars. I do have a Rutland stock car to
build too!

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Afternoon,

I wanted to thank all of you who offered suggestions for additional
cars for the list of freight cars. Now all I need to do is find time
to add those to the list!

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Don Valentine

[...]

All right, Bruce, so I gave you a little ribbing on the lack of a
Rutland car and the choice Ted suggested for the New Haven boxcars but
a Rutland stock car in the American South??? Guess I'm from Missouri
on that one! And I suppose you have a photo of a prototype in said
region as well. <VBG>

Take care, Don Valentine

tim gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:

Don,

At least I made you happy with the NH car <VBG>. Of course, the bottom
line is that you never know what will show up in the mix of cars out on
the road. The "gap" between the total and the planned number of cars
allows for some additional cars of interest (Like that Rutland box car,
or an A&S or...). Of course, I'm working on a detailed listing for
flats, gons, reefers and stock cars. I do have a Rutland stock car to
build too!
Bruce,

Be careful of trying to extrapolate the ownership distribution of
boxcars into other car types. With the exception maybe of general
service flat cars, the other car types on line do not correlate that
well with the ownership distribution. The principal reason is the
differences in the ratio of empty car miles to loaded car miles of each
car type per the following table:

EMPTY TO LOADED CAR MILE RATIO
1948/49 1956/56 1968 1972
Boxcars 0.32 0.36 0.55 0.72
Gondolas 0.67 0.79 0.89
Hoppers 0.85 0.90 0.90
Cov. Hops. 1.13 1.04 1.02
Hoppers & Gons 0.75 0.81
Reefers 0.63 0.72 0.69 0.77
Tank Cars 1.00 1.04 1.08 0.96
Flat Cars 0.55 0.67 0.80 0.96
TOFC 0.32 0.47
Total 0.54 0.58

The lower the ratio, the more apt that the car will deviate from an "out
loaded & back empty" scenario.

Tim Gilbert

Jim Wolf

Does anyone know of photo documentation of the 100000 - 100499
series?

Jim Wolf
Otis Orchards, WA

wrote:

For the RDG, try 101000-102999, class XMu, blt 1930, IH 9-3,
like PRR
X29, or 100000-100499, class XMt, blt 1925, IH: 8-8, like PRR
X29,
except Murphy 7/8 ends.
Hello:

These are the same cars I recommended. However, they are not like
the
ARA/X29 design. They are variations on the USRA steel design so
widely
used on the NYC.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/rdg102751main.html

I will try to dig up my drawings of these and scan them.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

James D Thompson <jaydeet@...>

Pocahontas 3.1%
3 C&O
USRA SS (Westerfield 3303)
1 N&W
By 1943, 800 of C&O's 1000 USRA boxes had been rebuilt with steel sides
(use the new Sunshine kit) and most of the rest were being cut down to
wheel flats.

David Thompson

Mont Switzer <ZOE@...>

Bruce: If you only need one Monon car it probably should be a 1937 AAR car,
450 of which arrived on the Monon in 1941 and 1942. I did a piece on them
in MAINLINE MODELER a few years ago. There were two series of these cars
with minor lettering variations between them as well as two kinds of trucks.
Red Caboose makes the car.

The first steel hoppers, 200 of them, arrived on the property in 1940 but
probably stayed pretty close to home hauling southern Indiana coal to State
owned institutions and points throughout the Midwest. They were offset side
cars so Athearn or Atlas would be the starting point.

There were also 60 flat cars, 53ft.6in. long that arrived in 1941 and they
did get around. They were fifteen pocket cars close to the LifeLike models,
but the scheme offered by LifeLike was a late 1940's -early 1950's paint
scheme too new for your needs.

There were some composite cars still in interchange service during your
period, but suitable models are not available. Unfortunately Westerfield's
wood Monon boxcar was off the roster by 1939.

Let me know if you need more info. Mont Switzer

Mont Switzer wrote:

Bruce: If you only need one Monon car it probably should be a 1937
AAR car,
450 of which arrived on the Monon in 1941 and 1942.
Per page 488 of the January 1943 ORER:

Desig IL IH Cu. Ft. Qty.
#2000-3600 XM 36' 6" 8' 2,482 615
#9000-9449 XM 40' 6" 10' 3,710 450
Total Boxcars 1,065

Monon's 1,065 boxcars was 0.14% of the National Class I RR Boxcar Fleet
or about one in every 700 boxcars.

Tim Gilbert

Tim O'Connor

Monon's 1,065 boxcars was 0.14% of the National Class I RR Boxcar Fleet
or about one in every 700 boxcars.

Tim Gilbert

And therefore, the probability that NONE of the Monon box cars
showed up in a year's time in any particular location is less
than 6%... Or put another way, there's a 94% probability that at
least one of the Monon box cars would show up within a year, assuming
that all box cars are equally probable. (Given your theory of random
box car assignments.)

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> -->> NOTE EMAIL CHANGE <<--
Sterling, Massachusetts

baltimoreterminal <ktravers@...>

Ted,
Thanks. Yes, the cars are not directly usable from PRR X29's. but
the general appearance is similar. As you point out, there are
detail differences among the many roads that had similar cars, based
on the ARA design, which of course, the PRR wouldn't accept. From my
post you can see the differnce in ends and interior height
mentioned.

I'm working off a photo database I've created, and hopefully,
replying to the question of representative, or signature, cars to
fill out the 100 car roster. Details will need to be filled in by
others, such as you and the other members of the list will do. My
suggestions are prompts for those more knowledgeable than I for the
specific roads.

Hope we can bring out more information from the responses.

Regards, Travers, BaltimoreTerminal, 9-30-03

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@s...> wrote:
On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 09:41 PM, baltimoreterminal wrote:

For the RDG, try 101000-102999, class XMu, blt 1930, IH 9-3, like
PRR X29, or 100000-100499, class XMt, blt 1925, IH: 8-8, like PRR X29,
except Murphy 7/8 ends.
Hello:

These are the same cars I recommended. However, they are not like
the ARA/X29 design. They are variations on the USRA steel design so
widely used on the NYC.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/rdg102751main.html

I will try to dig up my drawings of these and scan them.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Tim O'Connor

Oops. My calculation was wrong. If you have ONE box car on
your layout at a time, and .14% of the fleet is Monon, then
the expectation is 40% that at least ONE of those days during
the year, the car will be a Monon car.

But if you have 100 box cars on your layout, then the expectation
on any given day is 13%, while the probability that no Monon box car
will show up within a year is .00000000000000000000619%. In other
words, there's a snowball's chance in Hell that no Monon box car
will show up.

If you have a layout with 500 box cars, then the daily chance of
at least one Monon box car showing up increases to 50%. And the
chance that at least one will show up within a week's time is
more than 99%.

Just because freight cars are proportionally few, doesn't mean
they are necessarily unusual visitors. I think that one should
do this simple calculation based on the number of cars of that
type on your layout, starting with your "average" of say, 25
cars from "eastern" railroads. Then you may find you really have
90 or 100 models that have a high likelihood of showing up every
5 or 10 operating sessions. You can calculate probabilities for
each and then proportion the number of slots (e.g. 25 x 10 days)
to get a nice, variable but realistic mix of freight cars. Or
you could just program the probabilities into your computerized
switchlist program, and have it produce a theoretically realistic
mix every day...

And therefore, the probability that NONE of the Monon box cars
showed up in a year's time in any particular location is less
than 6%... Or put another way, there's a 94% probability that at
least one of the Monon box cars would show up within a year, assuming
that all box cars are equally probable. (Given your theory of random
box car assignments.)

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> -->> NOTE EMAIL CHANGE <<--
Sterling, Massachusetts

baltimoreterminal <ktravers@...>

Jim,
You'll find the following:

101070 1930 bldr foto on p 76 of RMC 1/94 and p 40 of MM 2/87

101199 1930 bldr foto on p 41 of MM 2/86

102123 1962 color at Shamokin, PA on p16 of the book--Classic
Frieght Cars

in addition to the 102761 memtioned in the link by Ted Cullota

--- In STMFC@..., "baltimoreterminal" <ktravers@w...>
wrote:
Jim,
You'll find the following:

101070 1930 bldr foto on p 76 of RMC 1/94 and p 40 of MM 2/87

101199 1930 bldr foto on p 41 of MM 2/86

102123 1962 color at Shamokin, PA on p16 of the book--Classic
Frieght Cars

in addition to the 102761 memtioned in the link by Ted Cullota

Regards, Travers, BaltimoreTerminal, 9-30-03
Thank you!

Jim Wolf