450 of which arrived on the Monon in 1941 and 1942.
Per page 488 of the January 1943 ORER:

Desig IL IH Cu. Ft. Qty.
#2000-3600 XM 36' 6" 8' 2,482 615
#9000-9449 XM 40' 6" 10' 3,710 450
Total Boxcars 1,065

Monon's 1,065 boxcars was 0.14% of the National Class I RR Boxcar
Fleet
or about one in every 700 boxcars.

Tim Gilbert

tim gilbert <tgilbert@...>

George Walls asked:

Tim,
Do your figuries hold true for 1925? And these are based on Class 1
railroads. Right? So how would I figure freight car distribution on
a two hundred mile branchline connecting two Class 1 Railroads. The
branchline is owned by the Santa Fe but operated as an indepement
railroad with it's own management.
Probably not. In 1925, there was a boxcar surplus (vs. the boxcar
shortage immediately after the WW II), and boxcars stayed closer to home
than in 1950 - in 1929, 66.6% of the boxcars on line were owned by the
home road versus 19.6% in 1948. Therefore, there would be a much greater
geographic bias in 1925 than there was in 1950.

Hope this helps, Tim Gilbert