Midwest???????

raildata@...

You guys have it all wrong.

According to Hal Carstens of RMC, the midwest begins at the Hudson River and
ends at the Delaware River between New Jesey and Pennsylvania. After that it
is all the West! Typical Manhatten view of the world!

Chuck Yungkurth
Boudler CO

h81644 <H81644@...>

Larry,
The last time I looked, UP headquarters and dispatching center is in
Omaha, NE and today runs to Chicago, Wis, Minn, Missouri and I don't
know how much farther east and south.

And since the UP started in Council Bluffs, Iowa I would say that
the UP is in the midwest. Everthing west of the Blue Ridge Mountains
and east of the Rockey's is in the Midwest. Including Texas.

And I would find it hard to believe that the UP hauled Wyoming coal
to feed a 800 ton Coaling Station at the Council Bluffs UP Yard.
Especially when they could buy Southern Ill. coal right here. But if
their engines were drafted to burn that Wyoming rock, then I guess
you could be right.

George Walls,
Treynor, Iowa

BTW: UP is building a brand new office building in downtown Omaha.
Bigger and taller.

--- In STMFC@..., ljack70117@a... wrote:
When I was on the UPRR, the only time we received any eastern coal
was
when the UPRR mines were on strike and the supply that they had
laid by
was starting to run out. Eastern coal was not a regular thing.
FYI the UPRR is not in the midwest.
Thank you
Larry Jackman

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 11:12 AM, h81644 wrote:

Chris,

It sure did, we even had N&W Coal in Omaha/Council Bluffs.

UP needed something besides that Wyoming dirt to burn in their
steam
engines.

George Walls

From the N&W's
perspective, the PRR line along with the NKP & Wabash, were
going
to provide direct
access to a broader array of midwestern coal markets.

Chris

---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US
&
Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9MtolB/TM

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jim Wolf

--- In STMFC@..., ljack70117@a... wrote:
FYI the UPRR is not in the midwest.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
My mother was born and raised in Grand Island, Nebraska on the UPRR
mainline, and at least three of my uncles worked for the UP. She
always said that she was born in the "midwest". Unfortunately, she
passed away years ago never realizing that she was apparently
geographically challenged.

My understanding has always been that the midwest extended to the
end of the plains, and the UP certainly served much of that
territory.

Jim (I think I live in the Pacific Northwest) Wolf
Otis Orchards, WA

MOFWCABOOSE@...

A friend of mine once encountered a girl who thought all east-west railroad
traffic was broken at the Mississippi River because (she thought) all railroads
west of that river were narrow gauge!

John C. La Rue, Jr.

Larry Lee <jlawrencelee@...>

--- In STMFC@..., ljack70117@a... wrote:
FYI the UPRR is not in the midwest.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
I recently wrote an article on Midwestern railroads for an _Encyclopedia of
the Midwest_ that will be published within a year by the Indiana University
Press. While no truly definitive definition of the "Midwest" exists, the
collaboration producing this book has it stretching from Ohio in the east to
the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas in the west. Say what you will, Larry,
but Nebraska has been UP territory since day one.

A portion of my article dealt specifically with refrigerator cars, and
another briefly mention several Midwestern freight car builders (obligatory
freight car content),

Larry Lee
Auburn, AL (Where we now see UP power on a daily basis.)

Dick Harley <Dick.Harley@...>

Since Mike suspended the rules for a period of time, which has now reached
my time zone, I'll put in my 2-cents.

I grew up in Ohio and Indiana, which is definitely considered the "Midwest"
there. The "Midwest" stretched from the Allegany's to the Mississippi
River. Everything west of the Mississippi was the "West", though further
divided into the Plains, the Rockies and the Far West.

I met folks in Connecticut, in the mid-1960's who thought Indiana was the
"wild west" and seriously asked if there were still Indians running around
there.

My wife was born in Kansas and considered it the "Midwest", but then she
thinks the Mississippi River is in the "East".

Guess it all depends on were you grew up and how much you traveled.

That's all from the Left Coast,
Dick Harley

h8fan <jabutler@...>

Gee, now I feel lost. In grade school I was told that my little home
state, West Virginia, was the southern most of the northern states,
the northern most of the southern states, the eastern most of the
western states and the most western of the eastern states.
Then I flew across the U.S. in a plane and I decided that there is
really only the eastern and western U.S. and the Mississippi River is
the dividing line:)
Jim Butler

--- In STMFC@..., ljack70117@a... wrote:
When I was on the UPRR, the only time we received any eastern
coal
was
when the UPRR mines were on strike and the supply that they had
laid by
was starting to run out. Eastern coal was not a regular thing.
FYI the UPRR is not in the midwest.
Thank you
Larry Jackman

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 11:12 AM, h81644 wrote:

Chris,

It sure did, we even had N&W Coal in Omaha/Council Bluffs.

UP needed something besides that Wyoming dirt to burn in their
steam
engines.

George Walls

From the N&W's

Ron Hildebrand <SteamFreight@...>

At 09:36 PM 10/3/2003 -0400, MOFWCABOOSE@... wrote:
A friend of mine once encountered a girl who thought all east-west railroad
traffic was broken at the Mississippi River because (she thought) all railroads
west of that river were narrow gauge!
Some of us could only wish... <g>

Ron Hildebrand
(Modeling the NE, but living in the West)

Manfred Lorenz

--- In STMFC@..., MOFWCABOOSE@A... wrote:
A friend of mine once encountered a girl who thought all east-west
railroad
traffic was broken at the Mississippi River because (she thought)
all railroads
west of that river were narrow gauge!

John C. La Rue, Jr.
If you look into the history of many lines from the Missisippi that
was the case that they intended to keep costs down in using narrow
gauge. Which was an occasion of wishful thinking as the costs were
more related to light equipment everybody confuses with narrow gauge
han the gauge itself. Scams from before last century. For information
look into Hilton's Narrow Gauge book.

From the distance she looks at the tracks they must appear like
narrow gauge if she never got on the other side of the river.

Manfred

Manfred Lorenz

--- In STMFC@..., "h8fan" <jabutler@s...> wrote:
Then I flew across the U.S. in a plane and I decided that there is
really only the eastern and western U.S. and the Mississippi River
is the dividing line:)

I was in St. Louis once and visited the huge train shed of Union
station. That was definitely on the western bank of the Mississippi
and had a definitely eastern look.

Must have been pretty busy in steam era freight car time. The tracks
crossing in front were still there. Were these passed by the freight
trains? Did the freight cars have to be reloaded there too?

BTW, are there more train sheds this size west on the Ol' Man River?

Twin Cities?

Manfred

armprem

I am glad I live in New England,at least I know where I am. LOL
,ArmandPremo

Then I flew across the U.S. in a plane and I decided that there is
really only the eastern and western U.S. and the Mississippi River
is the dividing line:)

I was in St. Louis once and visited the huge train shed of Union
station. That was definitely on the western bank of the Mississippi
and had a definitely eastern look.

Must have been pretty busy in steam era freight car time. The tracks
crossing in front were still there. Were these passed by the freight
trains? Did the freight cars have to be reloaded there too?

BTW, are there more train sheds this size west on the Ol' Man River?

Twin Cities?

Manfred

Larry Lee <jlawrencelee@...>

BTW, are there more train sheds this size west on the Ol' Man River?
No, nor anywhere else to my knowledge.

Larry Lee
Auburn, AL

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

I always figured the bounds of "the midwest" depended wholly upon the
question of whether you want to specify the great plains or not. Either
way, everything west of the 100th meridian is "the west" (tho every native
California I know who has an opinion on this has asserted the line is at
Reno but they don't know diddly-squat about anything east of there anyway).

Dave Nelson