AC&F tank "types" was ACF's market share

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 12:08 AM, thompson@signaturepress.com
wrote:

There are annual AC&F tank car production numbers in Ed Kaminski's
new
book. These are totals for all buyers.
Another thing...I looked through the WHOLE book waiting for a tank car
to be identified as "Type 21" or "Type 27" and then, at the very end,
Ed explains that the "Type" only applied to the FRAMES and not the
car...another myth shattered. Of course, it makes sense when you read
the captions...80xx gallon, 80yy gallons, yada yada yada...So
basically, the whole LL/IM thing is correct, but only insofar as the
designation is applied to the frame and not the tank.

Befuddled as always
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith writes:

Another thing...I looked through the WHOLE book waiting for a tank car
to be identified as "Type 21" or "Type 27" and then, at the very end,
Ed explains that the "Type" only applied to the FRAMES and not the
car...another myth shattered. Of course, it makes sense when you read
the captions...80xx gallon, 80yy gallons, yada yada yada...So
basically, the whole LL/IM thing is correct, but only insofar as the
designation is applied to the frame and not the tank.
Both AC&F and GATC used type designations, at least until after WW II, but
GATC's seem to have been used mostly in-house while AC&F's were made public
in the railway engineering periodicals and the Car Builders' Cylcopedias.
Technically, you're right that the AC&F type designations referred
primarily to standard underframe designs, but there were standard tank
sizes and designs to go with them, as is evident in the AC&F drawings that
were published in the Cycs. For those who haven't already figured them
out, the type designations identified the year a particular design was
introduced - i.e., the first AC&F Type 27 tank cars appeared in 1927, the
first GATC Type 30s in 1930, etc. - though there was some overlap, with
earlier types continuing to be built after those dates. Also, some
special-purpose cars had different type designations (e.g., there was an
AC&F Type 28 design, though I have yet to figure out exactly what was
different about it).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor

Actually Bruce, only P2K nailed the underframe. Intermountain's
is very screwed up.