Detail website/book

Steve Sandifer <jssand@...>

RPC in #4 did a nice piece on trucks for freight cars.
I would like to see a website or RPC that shows the various roofs, ends, roof walks, and doors with name, the time period when they were used, and what manufacturer (in HO for me) has gotten that part right. I often get the various names confused, and this would be a great reference for kitbashing. Of course some of you will now reply, "it's been done." So, where do I find this concise reference?

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://users2.ev1.net/~jssand/index.htm
Church: http://www.swcentral.org
Railway: http://www.trainweb.org/jssand
Webmaster: http://www.ATSFRR.net

Richard Hendrickson

RPC in #4 did a nice piece on trucks for freight cars.
I would like to see a website or RPC that shows the various roofs, ends,
roof walks, and doors with name, the time period when they were used, and
what manufacturer (in HO for me) has gotten that part right. I often get
the various names confused, and this would be a great reference for
kitbashing. Of course some of you will now reply, "it's been done." So,
where do I find this concise reference?
No, Steve, it hasn't been done, and it should be. (But I'm not
volunteering to do it - I'm over-commited with projects already.)

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

jaley <jaley@...>

On Oct 13, 10:41am, Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Detail website/book
RPC in #4 did a nice piece on trucks for freight cars.
I would like to see a website or RPC that shows the various roofs,
ends,
roof walks, and doors with name, the time period when they were used,
and
what manufacturer (in HO for me) has gotten that part right. I often
get
the various names confused, and this would be a great reference for
kitbashing. Of course some of you will now reply, "it's been done." So,
where do I find this concise reference?
No, Steve, it hasn't been done, and it should be. (But I'm not
volunteering to do it - I'm over-commited with projects already.)

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard, et. al,

Hasn't this been done by John Nehrich? I believe his "NEB&W
Guide..." includes several (crude) sketches and photos that adequately
illustrate the differences in ends.

I think he also included some of this info (and info on doors,
etc.) in one of his MR articles.

The only piece that's really missing is a current listing of HO
examples of same (though we're all bound to argue about whether or not a
given end or door is "correct").

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Jeff Aley asked:
"Hasn't this been done by John Nehrich? I believe his "NEB&W
Guide..." includes several (crude) sketches and photos that adequately
illustrate the differences in ends. I think he also included some of
this info (and info on doors, etc.) in one of his MR articles."

Yes, in "The Boxcar Fleet of the Fifties," Model Railroader, June
1986, but not to the extent of what the original poster was looking
for. Besides, we've learned a lot more since 1986.

One of the project I've been working on in fits and starts is a time
chart (a la Gantt Chart) showing exactly this type of information. I
we can convince a publisher to print it as a fold out, we can put on
one side when the various boxcar designs were built and their service
lives, and on the other we can put the chart showing when the various
appliances were introduced and produced. Along the bottom axis we
could put the various milestones from the English/Groff timeline.
This is something I really need to redouble my efforts on after
Naperville, becuase I think everyone can use something like this.

Ben Hom

Steve Sandifer <jssand@...>

Yes. Go for it.

If not a print publisher, why not a series of web pages for the STMFC website. That way as suppliers produce new equipment, it can be kept up-to-date. And when someone comes up with an exception to the rule, it is easy to make an emendation without having incomplete information in unchangeable print for ever and ever. Once something is in print, it becomes law.

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Richard Hendrickson

Jeff Aley writes, with regard to freight car details (roofs, doors, ends,
etc.

Hasn't this been done by John Nehrich? I believe his "NEB&W
Guide..." includes several (crude) sketches and photos that adequately
illustrate the differences in ends.

I think he also included some of this info (and info on doors,
etc.) in one of his MR articles.

The only piece that's really missing is a current listing of HO
examples of same (though we're all bound to argue about whether or not a
given end or door is "correct").
Yeah, but John's work on this is somewhat crude and incomplete and AFAIK
isn't all available in one place, aside from the fact that it doesn't
include references to models and model parts. John could certainly do a
proper job of it if he wished, as could numerous subscribers to this list.
Maybe we should see whose arm we can twist at Naperville.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor

Here are my notes for John's articles on freight car ends:

MM 2/1987 pp.40-44 (John Nehrich) more bizarre ends
including VAN DORN/various FLAT ENDS/various types
of builtup ends/reverse DREADNAUGHT/early HUTCHINS
late HUTCHINS/HUTCHINS-BUCKEYE/DECO

MM 12/1986 pp.67-71 John Nehrich study of MURPHY ends
of the 1910's and 1920's, concentrates on cavitated
or reverse ends on boxcars, gondolas, stockcars --
includes one photo of VERTICAL ribbed ends

MM 1/1986 pp.32-35 John Nehrich photo study of the
"reverse Murphy" style ends, including a gondola
and hopper. Photos NYC/NKP/MP/LV/RDG/CB&Q/AT&SF

MM 12/1985 pp.26-30 John Nehrich photo study with
Hutchins, Vulcan, and Murphy ends 1920's-1930's
-- notable photo of Vulcan end w/ vertical ribs

MM 5/1983 pp.42-47 John Nehrich article basically
about "dreadnaught" ends (from STANDARD RAILWAY
EQUIPMENT), photos, drawings of W-section corner
post, model photos, plus PS and Youngstown ends

thompson@...

Here are my notes for John's articles on freight car ends:
MM 2/1987 pp.40-44 (John Nehrich) more bizarre ends
including VAN DORN/various FLAT ENDS/various types...
My recollection is that these were fairly anecdotal, like John's
summaries of architectural history. I'd agree with Richard's comment: we
really need to have a modern, complete, specific presentation. Maybe Ed
Hawkins will throw it together for the RP Cyc--or Guy Wilber could
certainly do it.