AC&F paint samples

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Morning,

Not to continue the discussion, but to point out another use of the
scans of AC&F paint samples that Tim posted to the group files
section...

I pasted the scan into a WORD document, enlarged it to fit a page, ran
down to my local Speedy Print Shop and had them print it on their color
laser onto Micro Mark laser decal paper. They charged $2.15 and
required proof that the decal was for laser copiers (fortunately, I
kept the label). I now have an 8x10 sheet of reweigh paint swatches in
a variety of boxcar reds that I can "match" to a variety of different
body colors (match being a relative term, since a perfect match would
be kinda, well invisible...). BTW, the laser came out much lighter and
redder than my 4000 dpi photo ink jet...

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Tim O'Connor

What a great idea Bruce! I wish you had printed extras. I would
happily pay $5 for a sheet of decal colors like that. Microscale
charges $2.50 and all you get is one color!

Another good choice would be a set of reefer color strips, from
pale yellow up thru "reefer" orange.

I pasted the scan into a WORD document, enlarged it to fit a page, ran
down to my local Speedy Print Shop and had them print it on their color
laser onto Micro Mark laser decal paper. They charged $2.15 and
required proof that the decal was for laser copiers (fortunately, I
kept the label). I now have an 8x10 sheet of reweigh paint swatches in
a variety of boxcar reds that I can "match" to a variety of different
body colors (match being a relative term, since a perfect match would
be kinda, well invisible...). BTW, the laser came out much lighter and
redder than my 4000 dpi photo ink jet...

Happy Rails
Bruce

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Tim: This is probably old news, but the next time that you are
painting a model air brush a piece of decal paper. You will eventually
have a nice selection of colors for use as Bruce as described. Mont
Switzer

[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 03:57 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

What a great idea Bruce! I wish you had printed extras. I would
happily pay $5 for a sheet of decal colors like that. Microscale
charges $2.50 and all you get is one color!

Another good choice would be a set of reefer color strips, from
pale yellow up thru "reefer" orange.
And since I model a specific date, June 1944, a sheet of reweigh
stencils with dates from to 1-42 to 6-44 would be REAL handy. Micro
Mark does sell WHITE decal paper and I just ran a test that shows if
you take my WORD file and add white text over the AC&F colors that it
creates a color "hole" where the white shows through. I may need to
run off another sheet with my reweigh dates <VBG!>

BTW, Micro Mark sells both ink-jet and laser decal paper in both clear
and white.

Anyone have any suggestions on "font" and size? (I just noticed one
called "Stencil" on my new G5...)

Happy Rails
Bruce
Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Tim O'Connor

Any particular paper brand you recommend Mont? I use solvent paints
mostly, so some decal papers might not like that so much...

At 08:39 AM 10/14/2003, you wrote:
Tim: This is probably old news, but the next time that you are
painting a model air brush a piece of decal paper. You will eventually
have a nice selection of colors for use as Bruce as described. Mont
Switzer

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor asked:
Any particular paper brand you recommend Mont? I use solvent paints
mostly, so some decal papers might not like that so much...

I've had good results with Champ's decal paper, which stands up fine
with Floquil. Normally, I'll take scraps left over from the last
decaling project, shoot them the same time I paint a model, and save
them to use after weathering or as contrasting patches for a
different model. I also used this method using larger pieces of
decal paper to represent repaired panels on a weathered NYC USRA
hopper to match a photo in the NYC Color Guide.

Ben Hom

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Ben,

I spoke with Connie at Champ yesterday (tuesday) and she remarked that
they were not selling decal paper to the distributors anymore. Whether
this means that the modeler can get it direct, I am not sure. An
inquiry directly to Champ would resolve this question.

Connie stated that she was going to continue printing until their stock
of decal paper was exhausted, but the printing was to accumulate stock
to continue to sell decals as they had originally planned prior to
Rich's death. The ALPS reprints are done. Kim is no longer accepting
any reprint work as she is concentrating on her primary business as a
professional photographer and assisting Connie in the decal business
when she is needed.

Nonetheless, both of these ladies are in shock over Rich's passing as it
was a tremendous loss.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479