IC Reefers

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

In my "collection" of ancient HO Athearn metal cars and car kits are two IC reefers (identical model numbers- #402), but with two different car #'s - 50456, and 50234. Both have yellow sides and green lettering. However, the former car has black ends and a painted aluminum roof, hatches and running boards while the latter car has Oxide roof and ends.

Which scheme(s) is/are correct, or both?

To further confuse things , a Varney papersides reefer 50200 (R-16, 1942-90) has black ends and an oxide roof; a very early Varney metal reefer 51004 (R-27, 1950-51) has aluminum sides, ends, and roof, but with green lettering.

Additional Varney metal IC reefers (R-32, c. 1950-52) had MDT reporting marks AND livery.

Clear as a bell.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA

thompson@...

Denny Anspach asked (in part):
...a very early Varney metal
reefer 51004 (R-27, 1950-51) has aluminum sides, ends, and roof, but
with green lettering.
I am pretty sure this one was inspired by IC's lone aluminum reefer,
actual number 51000. Whether the prototype had green or black lettering
isn't clear from the B&W photos.

Richard Hendrickson

Denny Anspach writes:

In my "collection" of ancient HO Athearn metal cars and car kits are
two IC reefers (identical model numbers- #402), but with two
different car #'s - 50456, and 50234. Both have yellow sides and
green lettering. However, the former car has black ends and a painted
aluminum roof, hatches and running boards while the latter car has
Oxide roof and ends.

Which scheme(s) is/are correct, or both?

To further confuse things , a Varney papersides reefer 50200 (R-16,
1942-90) has black ends and an oxide roof; a very early Varney metal
reefer 51004 (R-27, 1950-51) has aluminum sides, ends, and roof, but
with green lettering.
Some, if not all, of the 1937 IC steel reefers apparently had aluminum
painted roofs; I have a photo of nearly-new 50034 at Jackson MS in 12/37
and the roof is clearly aluminum. But later b/w photos of the steel cars
show them with dark roofs, which other documentation indicates were olive
green.

The Varney all-aluminum reefer numbered 51004 represents one of a small
number of post-WW-II cars which were built of aluminum and left unpainted.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

artrich999@...

Tony;
I shot the 51000 in service in November 1967 in Jackson, MS, and, if I
remember correctly, the lettering was green on the bare aluminum sides.
Incidentally, the 51000 is preserved and on display along with a 2500
class engine and an IC caboose at trackside at the Amtrak station in McComb, MS,
where the reefer was built.
--
Regards,
Art Richardson

thompson@...

Richard Hendrickson said:
The Varney all-aluminum reefer numbered 51004 represents one of a small
number of post-WW-II cars which were built of aluminum and left unpainted.
Though I have the greatest respect for my friend Richard's roster
knowledge, I'm pretty confident that IC only built a single aluminum
reefer, numbered 51000, and that the Varney number in this case is bogus.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson said:
The Varney all-aluminum reefer numbered 51004 represents one of a small
number of post-WW-II cars which were built of aluminum and left unpainted.
Though I have the greatest respect for my friend Richard's roster
knowledge, I'm pretty confident that IC only built a single aluminum
reefer, numbered 51000, and that the Varney number in this case is bogus.
I later consulted my copy of an IC freight car diagram book and confirmed
that Tony is correct. That single car was an experiment, built at IC's
McComb shops in 1946, which closely resembled the two aluminum reefers
built by Pacific Fruit Express at about the same time. IC doubtless
concluded, as did PFE, that the advantages of aluminum construction did not
justify the added cost.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor

Re IC's aluminum reefer: The 1950 and 1953 ORER's both describe
this one reefer and list its number as 51000.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I am fascinated that apparently some of the IC steel reefers had dark green roofs and, possibly, ends. Again noting that the early Varney paper-sides cars of prewar had oxide roofs and ends, and the post war Athearn steel models had "silver" roofs/black ends, or oxide roofs and ends (all still having yellow sides, green lettering), was the dark green yet another (attractive) variation?

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA