Atlas Hart Ballast car trucks

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

Has anyone heard of the Atlas Hart Ballast car trucks being offered separately yet? They should fill the sizable niche, at least on this list, for a seventy-ton, 5'8" wheel base truck with a six spring package, n'est pas? (we're all going language crazy)

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Andy Carlson

It is a bit premature, but I have a very sizable order
of these trucks coming to me direct from Atlas. I will
be offering them for sale in a couple of weeks. I will
post to the STMFC when they arrive.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--- Ted Culotta <tculotta@speedwitch.com> wrote:

Has anyone heard of the Atlas Hart Ballast car
trucks being offered
separately yet? They should fill the sizable niche,
at least on this
list, for a seventy-ton, 5'8" wheel base truck with
a six spring
package, n'est pas? (we're all going language crazy)

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

70-ton,5'-8'' wheelbase, are these correct for the p2k gons?

Brian J Carlson
Cheektowaga NY

It is a bit premature, but I have a very sizable order
of these trucks coming to me direct from Atlas. I will
be offering them for sale in a couple of weeks. I will
post to the STMFC when they arrive.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--- Ted Culotta <tculotta@speedwitch.com> wrote:
> Has anyone heard of the Atlas Hart Ballast car
> trucks being offered
> separately yet? They should fill the sizable niche,
> at least on this
> list, for a seventy-ton, 5'8" wheel base truck with
> a six spring
> package, n'est pas? (we're all going language crazy)
>
> Regards,
> Ted Culotta
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Richard Hendrickson

Has anyone heard of the Atlas Hart Ballast car trucks being offered
separately yet? They should fill the sizable niche, at least on this
list, for a seventy-ton, 5'8" wheel base truck with a six spring
package, n'est pas? (we're all going language crazy)

Regards,
Ted Culotta
Ted, there should soon be a lot of these available as trades for other
trucks, as my considerable research on these cars has turned up only one
prototype for which the Atlas trucks are correct. And, by the way, what
the Atlas trucks are apparently intended to represent is a 70 ton National
C-1 (note the side frame configuration on either side of the bolster).
Only the Great Northern cars had these trucks. With the exception of the
early Erie cars, which came with Dalmans, everyone else got National B-1s,
AAR self-aligning spring-plankless, or ASF A-3 trucks on their Hart ballast
hoppers.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
as my considerable research on these cars has turned up only one
prototype for which the Atlas trucks are correct. And, by the way,
what the Atlas trucks are apparently intended to represent is a 70
ton >National C-1 (note the side frame configuration on either side of
the >bolster).
Only the Great Northern cars had these trucks. >
Richard say it's not true. I had hoped, as did Ted, that we finally
might have a model of a 70-ton truck with solid bearings and with the
correct 5'-8" wheel-base that could be used under other cars requiring
such trucks.

Bob Witt

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

And don't these trucks have the funky bolster height? Or am I thinking of someone else's product?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve Sandifer <jssand@...>

See pictures at
http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Review/AtlasHart/Index.htm

--------------------
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@swcentral.org
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Personal: http://users2.ev1.net/~jssand/index.htm
Church: http://www.swcentral.org
Railway: http://www.trainweb.org/jssand
Webmaster: http://www.ATSFRR.net

as my considerable research on these cars has turned up only one
> prototype for which the Atlas trucks are correct. And, by the way,
>what the Atlas trucks are apparently intended to represent is a 70
ton >National C-1 (note the side frame configuration on either side of
the >bolster).
> Only the Great Northern cars had these trucks. >

Richard say it's not true. I had hoped, as did Ted, that we finally
might have a model of a 70-ton truck with solid bearings and with the
correct 5'-8" wheel-base that could be used under other cars requiring
such trucks.

Bob Witt

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tony Thompson, referring to the truck on the Atlas Hart Ballast car notes:

And don't these trucks have the funky bolster height? Or am I
thinking of someone else's product?

Yes. To repeat what I wrote to Ken Edmier today:

"I lowered the upright "truck mounts" by 3". Note the 2 "shoulders" attached
to each upright. I filed the upright down to the level of these shoulders [ without removing it from the car ]
and, removing the coupler pocket, turned it over and discarded the top so
that there was now no top [ the part next to the underbody ] as you
suggested...although you may have not meant to use the Atlas part. I had to
use a slightly shorter screw to attach the pocket and the coupler height is
correct for a #5 Kadee. The car is only lowered by 3" but it helps. Took a
bit of filing...perhaps 10 minutes. Yes, I could have taken it down further
but more material would have to be removed because the shoulders would also
have to be removed and filing such things is not my idea of enjoyment. I just nipped the 2 narrow uprights which support the
truck on one end of the car. I'll have to cut a slot in the new bolster pieces so they
fit around the shoulders instead of lying on top [ as I did on the first car I did and as can be seen in the photo section ]. So...yes, it's certainly possible to file the "truck mounts" [ I wouldn't call them bolsters ] down the 6" that they are too high. That would probably allow a different truck to be used and, yes, ECW does make a 70 ton plain bearing truck [ I've been running one on a covered hopper for several yrs without misshap...ooops ].

One would hope someday that we wouldn't have to correct things that could have seemingly been easy to avoid. OTOH, the car does have individual grabs so maybe we complainith too much.

Mike

Tim O'Connor

Mike, I don't know if it's possible, but I'm going to have
to try it -- The Atlas car from the end, looks like

| |
| |
| |
`----+-----+----'
|_____|

But it really needs to look like (forgive the artwork)

| |
| |
&#92; /
&#92; /
&#92;______/

In other words, the end bulkhead forms the "bolster" and there
is a steel crosspiece that sits on top of this, forming a T-section.
In other words, a familar cross bearer type of design.

By scraping and filing the plastic and metal, I should be able to
achieve a taper from the car sides about 1/2 way to the kingpin.
Then I will file the truck mounting piece down about 3-4" as you
did, but also file away the shoulders and the stupid pins. (WHAT
IS THEIR FUNCTION? They are only at one end of the car!)

THEN... I will make a triangular piece of styrene as filler to
continue the taper to the top of the truck mount, and then glue
a rivet strip over it from side to side, to complete the "bolster".

BUT FIRST... after filing... I will toss the Atlas trucks into
the garbage, where they belong, and substitute an ASF A-3 (since
I'm modeling the NP car) and an Accurail P:HO coupler pocket. (It
is .020 lower than the Atlas pocket.) Depending on how high the
coupler is, I may have to adjust the other bits.

mgaqw

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:
Then I will file the truck mounting piece down about 3-4" as you
did, but also file away the shoulders and the stupid pins. (WHAT
IS THEIR FUNCTION? They are only at one end of the car!)
Hello Tim,
the "stupid pins" are for what I would call a three-point support: on
this end, the truck can only swivel, while on the other end (without
the pins), the truck can rock AND swivel.
Hope it's clear :-)

Best regards
Michel Guilloux
France

Tim O'Connor

the "stupid pins" are for what I would call a three-point support: on
this end, the truck can only swivel, while on the other end (without
the pins), the truck can rock AND swivel.
Hope it's clear :-)

Michel Guilloux

I see! Gosh, how could we get along all these years with our other
thousands of freight car models not having those pins! This is a
revolutionary freight car innovation!

prr6380

Sorry Tim, there is nothing new under the sun. This idea has been
used for several years under a variety of equipment, the first one I
can think of is the AHM 12-1 Pullman. Of course that's a passenger
car, but it's the first thing I thought of.

Walt Stafa