Trix Double Door, 40' box car

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

My dealer recently got in a selection of Trix freight cars. In the mix was a
40' double door car. Does anyone know the prototype for this model, and how
well does the model match the prototype.

Also I finally say the Trix Reefer, and I agree the hatches are small.

Brian J Carlson
Cheektowaga NY

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Brian J Carlson writes:

"My dealer recently got in a selection of Trix freight cars. In the mix was a
40' double door car. Does anyone know the prototype for this model, and how
well does the model match the prototype."
It is apparently a reasonable model of a UP A-50-16 although lettered for an A-50-19. I don't, however, have one.

Mike Brock

Tim O'Connor

Brian, there is a much better HO scale A-50-16 available in
resin from Sunshine Models. And it comes with accurate decals.

Brian J Carlson writes:

"My dealer recently got in a selection of Trix freight cars. In
the mix was a 40' double door car. Does anyone know the prototype
for this model...
It is apparently a reasonable model of a UP A-50-16 although
lettered for an A-50-19. I don't, however, have one.

Mike Brock

Richard Hendrickson

Brian J Carlson writes:

"My dealer recently got in a selection of Trix freight cars. In the mix
was a
40' double door car. Does anyone know the prototype for this model, and how
well does the model match the prototype."
To which Mike Brock replies:

It is apparently a reasonable model of a UP A-50-16 although lettered for
an A-50-19.

Exactly. It's actually a very good model of an A-50-16 built in 1940,
complete with ACR rivets on the sides, but the Germans screwed up (as
usual) and lettered it as an A-50-19. Sandblast, repaint oxide red,
reletter, and voila! It could also be used to model some other 40' double
door automobile box cars of similar vintage by scraping off the ACR rivets
- e.g., Southern and Norfolk Southern had 'em with round-cornered 4/5 ends
like those on the UP cars, as did Pere Marquette (later C&O) with wider
doors.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

Richard, Mike and Tim, Thanks for the info on the car one follow-up question. In 1957 would class A-50-19 still be hauling Auto's or Autoparts? If not, is it possible these cars may have hauled lumber?

Finally, who makes the correct decals for this car? Ok I guess that is 3 questions.

Brian J Carlson
Cheektowaga NY

> "My dealer recently got in a selection of Trix freight cars. In the mix
>was a
> 40' double door car. Does anyone know the prototype for this model, and how
> well does the model match the prototype."

To which Mike Brock replies:

It is apparently a reasonable model of a UP A-50-16 although lettered for
an A-50-19.

Exactly. It's actually a very good model of an A-50-16 built in 1940,
complete with ACR rivets on the sides, but the Germans screwed up (as
usual) and lettered it as an A-50-19. Sandblast, repaint oxide red,
reletter, and voila! It could also be used to model some other 40' double
door automobile box cars of similar vintage by scraping off the ACR rivets
- e.g., Southern and Norfolk Southern had 'em with round-cornered 4/5 ends
like those on the UP cars, as did Pere Marquette (later C&O) with wider
doors.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Richard Hendrickson

Brian Carlson writes:

In 1957 would class A-50-19 still be hauling Auto's or Autoparts? If not,
is it possible these cars may have hauled lumber?

Finally, who makes the correct decals for this car? Ok I guess that is 3
questions.
These cars were originally equipped with Evans auto racks, but the racks
were removed in 1955 and the cars renumbered 175000-175499. After that,
they were in the UP's general merchandise box car pool and could well have
carried lumber.

These cars would certainly have been repainted at least once before 1957,
so they would have hAD all yellow lettering with either the 'Streamliners"
and "Be Specific" slogans or (after 1956) 20" Union Pacific and "Be
Specific" on both sides. Terry Metcalfe's UP freight car book, now
regrettably out of print, provides photos of both, plus all the details on
UP lettering changes over the years.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Scott Pitzer

At one point I was working toward this using the Metcalfe book and the Champ catalog. I seem to recall it looked promising, although I don't know if Champ had 100% accuracy and completeness. Of course this research should have been a waste of time... if Trix hadn't crossed up what class the models match!
Maybe a Trix "repaint version" would only need a few items changed?
Scott Pitzer

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Richard Hendrickson

At one point I was working toward this using the Metcalfe book and the
Champ catalog. I seem to recall it looked promising, although I don't
know if Champ had 100% accuracy and completeness. Of course this research
should have been a waste of time... if Trix hadn't crossed up what class
the models match!
Maybe a Trix "repaint version" would only need a few items changed?
Scott Pitzer
Car number, class number, and built date would have to be changed, of course.
Dimesnional data wouldn't be the same, but then the Champ decal sets don't
include the exact dimensional data for the A-50-16s either. But it would
be simpler than repainting and relettering the entire model.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520