C&EI Caboose

Paul Hillman

Hello all,

I'm new to this group, (thank you all for being here!), but NOT new
to railroads and model-railroading and model-building. (About 40+
years now!)

I have a long-sought for question though, about a C&EI, (Chicago &
Eastern Illinois) caboose, that even the C&EI Historical Society
couldn't answer.

In the late 50's, early 60's, the C&EI, out of Dolton,Illinois, just
south of Chicago, ran their, "Clearing-freight", into north Chicago,
to the Clearing-Yard, daily.

The train always pulled a wooden, center-cupola caboose. Does anyone
know about this caboose and/or have pictures of it?

I didn't ever photograph this caboose, but I did another C&EI caboose
which was cupola-less, and had a side-door, which was used on their
way-freight service. (I was 15 at the time.)

Actually the C&EI was using C&WI (Chicago & Western Indiana) trackage
from Chicago down south to Dolton, were the C&EI actually began.

Anyone have info?

Paul Hillman

Tim O'Connor

C&EI had some steel center cupola cabooses, but I don't
think I've ever seen a wooden one. A Google search on
"C&EI caboose" turned up this link --

http://bensonrailphotos.com.seanic11.net/cars.shtml

[...]

Jim Ogden <sjogden@...>

You may want to find a copy of Morning Sun's C&EI In Color. Photos of the C&EI standard wood and wood side door LCL caboose are featured, as are the steel cabooses such as ACF Center Cupola versions, the streamlined cupola cabooses, and the ex EJ&E's cabooses. Also, Jerry Michel's book Cabooses of the Missouri Pacific Lines goes into some discussion on the C&EI's cabooses that were around at the time of the MoPac takeover.

Jim Ogden

The train always pulled a wooden, center-cupola caboose. Does anyone
know about this caboose and/or have pictures of it?

Anyone have info?

Paul Hillman

Paul Hillman

Thanks Jim, !!!

Hadn't heard of Morning Sun's book, but researched it and will be getting a copy. May be just what I've been seeking.

"Cabooses of the MP", is also desirable, but so far found to be only available through the MPHS and rather expensive to non-members.

Paul Hillman

Paul Hillman

Tim,

Thanks for the link to the steel C&EI caboose. I remember seeing the steel-versions always on freights, and only the wood-caboose on the Clearing-Freight. Guess it was the last one left-over from the wood-caboose days.

Paul Hillman