NKP/MDT reefer

enobiko <deanpayne@...>

Walthers has a decal set for the NKP/MDT reefer, part #72440. Any
photos of this car? The description says "white", does that mean
white reefer or white lettering? I have the NKP Historical magazine
Spring 2000 issue that covers the NKP reefers, but no photo of the
MDT reefers there. The only MDT reefers I turn up are NYC, which I
would prefer not to have on my NKP layout.
Dean Payne

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

I have seen this decal and also an older Athearn car with a similar scheme showing a white MDT M4(wood car) with NKP leasing marks. I have never
seen a photo to verify this either.

However, NKP did buy a series of 400 of these cars from MDT new in the 1920s that were numbered NKP 60000-60399; at least two of these were converted to milk service later in their careers, NKP 700-701

So if you want to be safe, you put an MDT reefer on your layout and letter it for NKP. I do not know the proper paint scheme for NKP cars, perhaps that is mentioned in the article you referenced.

Roger Hinman

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 08:02 PM, enobiko wrote:

Walthers has a decal set for the NKP/MDT reefer, part #72440. Any
photos of this car? The description says "white", does that mean
white reefer or white lettering? I have the NKP Historical magazine
Spring 2000 issue that covers the NKP reefers, but no photo of the
MDT reefers there. The only MDT reefers I turn up are NYC, which I
would prefer not to have on my NKP layout.
Dean Payne

Yahoo! Groups Links

Len Allman <allmansipe@...>

Hello,
Atlas O has reoleased an MDT reefer in NKP/LACKAWANNA
DAIRY SERVICE in yellow w/ black lettering. Is this
scheme correct? Comments please.

Thanks,
Len Allman

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

lrkdbn

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Roger Hinman <rhinman@r...> wrote:
I have seen this decal and also an older Athearn car with a similar
scheme showing a white MDT M4(wood car) with NKP leasing marks. I
have
never
seen a photo to verify this either.

However, NKP did buy a series of 400 of these cars from MDT new in
the
1920s that were numbered NKP 60000-60399; at least two of these
were
converted to milk service later in their careers, NKP 700-701

So if you want to be safe, you put an MDT reefer on your layout and
letter it for NKP. I do not know the proper paint scheme for NKP
cars,
perhaps that is mentioned in the article you referenced.

Roger Hinman

I recall an old (ca.1978) issue of the NKP Society's magazine showing
a NKP lettering drawing for some MDT built (based on details of car
body) cars with GARX marks and a NKP herald. Possibly these were the
same cars.

LR King <lrkdbn@aol.com>

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 08:02 PM, enobiko wrote:

Walthers has a decal set for the NKP/MDT reefer, part #72440. Any
photos of this car? The description says "white", does that mean
white reefer or white lettering? I have the NKP Historical
magazine
Spring 2000 issue that covers the NKP reefers, but no photo of the
MDT reefers there. The only MDT reefers I turn up are NYC, which
would prefer not to have on my NKP layout.
Dean Payne

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ray Breyer <rbreyer@...>

Atlas is releasing this car in HO as well. No one in the NKPHTS has any
information on this car's lettering or paint, so we NKP'ers have no idea if
the car is right or not (we looked into this issue last week, and Atlas
ain't sayin' where they got the lettering specs from). We like the car
though, and there will be lots of them sold to happy NKP modelers.

Ray Breyer

Atlas O has reoleased an MDT reefer in NKP/LACKAWANNA
DAIRY SERVICE in yellow w/ black lettering. Is this
scheme correct? Comments please.

Thanks,
Len Allman

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

I recall an old (ca.1978) issue of the NKP Society's magazine showing
a NKP lettering drawing for some MDT built (based on details of car
body) cars with GARX marks and a NKP herald. Possibly these were the
same cars.

LR King <lrkdbn@aol.com>
It wouldn't be the first time cars were sold to GA and leased back;
Now I'll have to add that issue to my search list

Roger Hinman