DL&W reefers

DRGW482@...

The question about the Atlas DL&W/NKP reefer brought another question for me
back to the forefront:
An older comment on the EL net list suggested the Branchline ACF reefer may
be a reasonable stand-in for a DL&W wood reefer.
I have not had too much luck locating information these, but I would like one
or two for a ...hmmm... 1945-55 time frame.

Thank you very much,

Martin Goller

BillyDee53@...

Microscale makes set # 87-890 (in HO), Merchants Dispatch 40' Refrigerator
Cars (1930-1973) that includes lettering for Lackawanna. It includes the words
'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line' and the rectangular logo with 'Lackawanna
Railroad' in it.
The diagram shows a car numbered 12091, with the logo and the word
'Refrigerator' on an orange car with boxcar red roof and black underframe . There is no
diagram for a car with 'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line'. HTH Bill

Richard Hendrickson

Martin Goller writes:

The question about the Atlas DL&W/NKP reefer brought another question for me
back to the forefront:
An older comment on the EL net list suggested the Branchline ACF reefer may
be a reasonable stand-in for a DL&W wood reefer.
I have not had too much luck locating information these, but I would like one
or two for a ...hmmm... 1945-55 time frame.
In 1945 the Lackawanna had a small number of company-owned reefers in
on-line ice service, but the LRX cars were operated for them by Merchants
Despatch Transportation and were standard MDT cars numbered LRX 7000-7299.
By 10/50 these cars had apparently been either purchased or (if oringally
Lackawanna-owned) reclaimed from MDT and were in the process of being
re-stenciled DL&W, though they retained their original numbers.

Dimensions and basic construction were very similar to the AC&F cars
modeled by Branchline, though there were a number of detail differences. I
have photos of these cars both before and after the change in ownership.I'm
not aware of any source for decal or dry transdfer lettering.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

gene48@...

I believe that Microscale has a set which contains lettering for the Lackawanna cars. I am on vacation and can't check my set but I do remember the LRX reporting marks on set.

Gene Deimling

Martin Goller writes:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

DRGW482@...

thank you for the answers! Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin

Richard Hendrickson

Microscale makes set # 87-890 (in HO), Merchants Dispatch 40' Refrigerator
Cars (1930-1973) that includes lettering for Lackawanna. It includes the
words
'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line' and the rectangular logo with 'Lackawanna
Railroad' in it.
The diagram shows a car numbered 12091, with the logo and the word
'Refrigerator' on an orange car with boxcar red roof and black underframe
. There is no
diagram for a car with 'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line'. HTH Bill
Well, thanks to my sieve-like memory, I'd forgotten all about that set -
and Jerry Stewart and I provided the prototype data for it. Of course,
that was in the previous century....

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jedalberg

About two score years ago I was walking around Johnson City, Tenn and came
upon a Lackawanna steel reefer on a siding, and because it was something DL&W, I
took a picture. Actually, it was an MDT car,with the rectangular Lackawanna
Railroad herald on the right side.As soon as I got home I did up an Athearn
reefer, ordered a decal set from Walthers and put the car in service. It still
is. Of course I took the easy way and the number is 12345, which of course, I
would never do that way today!
Jim Dalberg
Paoli, Pa

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

These decals are appropriate for MDT steel cars leased to Lackawanna.

I can't find my reference but I have seen reference to Lackawanna Ref Line in either the teens
or twenties but no info it was ever lettered onto cars

Roger H.

On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 04:58 AM, BillyDee53@aol.com wrote:

Microscale makes set # 87-890 (in HO), Merchants Dispatch 40' Refrigerator
Cars (1930-1973) that includes lettering for Lackawanna. It includes the words
'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line' and the rectangular logo with 'Lackawanna
Railroad' in it.
The diagram shows a car numbered 12091, with the logo and the word
'Refrigerator' on an orange car with boxcar red roof and black underframe . There is no
diagram for a car with 'Lackawanna Refrigerator Line'. HTH Bill

Yahoo! Groups Links

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

I'm not familiar with the Branchline car but if it is the same prototype as the
Westerfield car it represents a fishbelly underframe car; the DLW had wood reefers built
by ACF in the 20s but they had a straight centersill. Plans for this car were in one of the Car Cycs of the period

Roger Hinman

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 10:31 PM, DRGW482@aol.com wrote:

The question about the Atlas DL&W/NKP reefer brought another question for me
back to the forefront:
An older comment on the EL net list suggested the Branchline ACF reefer may
be a reasonable stand-in for a DL&W wood reefer.
I have not had too much luck locating information these, but I would like one
or two for a ...hmmm... 1945-55 time frame.

Thank you very much,

Martin Goller

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/9MtolB/TM

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The LRX cars were not standard MDT cars but were in fact cars built for the Lackawanna that were transferred to MDT then leased back under the LRX reporting marks.
As I mentioned in another post, there is a plan for these cars. I believe they reverted back to DLW ownership late in their careers and ended up in Ice Service as did many other reefers. There is a photo of one of these cars in an old Equipco ad in RME Jul 1926

Roger H.