PCC&Stl Rwy.

Richard Hendrickson

Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of? TIA.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Benjamin Frank Hom <b.hom@...>

Richard Hendrickson asked:
Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of?

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis, a part of Pennsy Lines West.

Ben Hom

ELDEN GATWOOD <ELDEN.GATWOOD@...>

Richard;
I think that may be the Pittsburgh, Columbus, (forgot which, maybe
Cincinnati?) and St. Louis (sorry I do not have the references in front of
me), which I am pretty certain became the "panhandle" Division of the PRR;
first as part of "Lines West" of the Pennsylvania Lines, and then of the
parent PRR after they consolidated. If this is important, I will look the
details up for you, or is this close enough?

Elden Gatwood

Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of? TIA.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

Old Sourdough <pmeaton@...>

At 03:06 PM 2/16/2004 -0800, Richard wrote:
Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of? TIA.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard,

That would most likely be the

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Rwy., later known as

Pennsylvania Lines West and later still, Panhandle Division of the
PRR. This information courtesy of the following web page:

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Documentation/struct.html

Paul Eaton
The Old Sourdough
Ruksakinmakiak, Alaska

rgs4550 <rgsfan@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of? TIA.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520
Hi Richard, I believe it is the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago &
St.Louis. It is part of the Pennsylvania. Regards, Don Smith

Justin Kahn

I believe this was what was known as the "Panhandle."
Jace Kahn
Mostly Fairbanks

wrote:
Guys, help me out here. I have a photo of a Santa Fe tank car at
Indianapolis, IN in 1919 on the P.C.C.& St.L. Rwy., a rail line whose
identity is unknown to me. Can someone tell me what the initials stand
for, and what larger railroad it later became a part of? TIA.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520
Hi Richard, I believe it is the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago &
St.Louis. It is part of the Pennsylvania. Regards, Don Smith
Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200365ave/direct/01/

Thomas Olsen <tmolsen@...>

List;

The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railway Company was the successor
to a series of railroads that were under the control of the Pennsylvania
Railroad. These lines were: The Panhandle Railway Company, The
Steubenville and Indiana, and the Holliday's Cove Railroad. The
combined company was known colloquially as the "Panhandle."

The Panhandle Railway Company was the original line built between
Pittsburgh and Columbus (with joint operation over the B&O Railroad's
C&N Division between Newark and Columbus Ohio. The Pittsburgh,
Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway Company was a combination of the
PC&STL with the Columbus, Chicago & Indiana Central whose major route
linked Columbus with Chicago via Bradford, Indianapolis and Chicago.

To make this short as it is off topic, the line between between
Pittsburgh and Columbus which later became the Panhandle Division, got
it's name because it's route, which went through the narrow neck of West
Virginia, was shaped like a panhandle. This nickname was still in use
up through the abandonment of most of the line by Conrail in the
mid-1980's. The other lines referred to as the "Panhandle" were the
PCC&STL lines which were leased to the PRR west of Columbus. These
lines became known as the "Greater Panhandle."

In the early 1900s, there were a great number of PRR subsidiary
companies whose freight cars were lettered for these lines. A good
listing of these lines can be found in Al Westerfield's PRR kit history
sheets found in his early GL hoppers, XL box cars, and GR gondolas. For
the steam era modeler in the early twentieth century, Al's freight car
kits are just about the last word.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479