Brake appliances on PMcK&Y USRA rebuilds, circa 1935

Rob Adams

I'm getting ready to build a couple of the Tichy #4028 USRA SS box car steel side rebuilds to model cars from PMcK&Y series 83400-83499. Based on an excellent picture in Train Shed Cyc No. 75, several detail changes will be warranted.

One question I can't answer from the photo is whether the cars received AB brakes as part of the re-building in late 1934. AB brakes were required on newly constructed cars by that time, but my understanding is that the requirement wasn't extended to rebuilds until Jan 1, 1937.

Can any of you provide some guidance here? I'm trying to model the cars as they would have been at rebuilding Circa 1935. Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Rob Adams

Richard Hendrickson

Rob Adams asks:

I'm getting ready to build a couple of the Tichy #4028 USRA SS box car
steel side rebuilds to model cars from PMcK&Y series 83400-83499. Based
on an excellent picture in Train Shed Cyc No. 75, several detail changes
will be warranted.

One question I can't answer from the photo is whether the cars received
AB brakes as part of the re-building in late 1934. AB brakes were
required on newly constructed cars by that time, but my understanding is
that the requirement wasn't extended to rebuilds until Jan 1, 1937.

Can any of you provide some guidance here? I'm trying to model the cars
as they would have been at rebuilding Circa 1935. Thanks in advance.
I carefully studied the same photo in the 1937 Car Builders' Cyc, where its
reproduction was somewhat less dark and muddy than in the Train Shed Cyc,
and I can just make out the outline of the brake cylinder/reservoir and
dirt collector. That confirms that these cars retained their original KC
air brakes when rebuilt.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Rob Adams

Thanks Richard! I appreciated it. All I see below the side sill on my copy is darkness.

Can you confirm from the photo in the Car Builder's Cyc whether the NYC Lines herald has a black background? It doesn't look like it in the photo I have, but my understanding is that it should have.

Thanks again.

Rob Adams

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Rob Adams asks:

>I'm getting ready to build a couple of the Tichy #4028 USRA SS box car
>steel side rebuilds to model cars from PMcK&Y series 83400-83499. Based
>on an excellent picture in Train Shed Cyc No. 75, several detail changes
>will be warranted.
>
>One question I can't answer from the photo is whether the cars received
>AB brakes as part of the re-building in late 1934. AB brakes were
>required on newly constructed cars by that time, but my understanding is
>that the requirement wasn't extended to rebuilds until Jan 1, 1937.
>
>Can any of you provide some guidance here? I'm trying to model the cars
>as they would have been at rebuilding Circa 1935. Thanks in advance.
I carefully studied the same photo in the 1937 Car Builders' Cyc, where its
reproduction was somewhat less dark and muddy than in the Train Shed Cyc,
and I can just make out the outline of the brake cylinder/reservoir and
dirt collector. That confirms that these cars retained their original KC
air brakes when rebuilt.
Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Hendrickson

Can you confirm from the photo in the Car Builder's Cyc whether the NYC
Lines herald has a black background? It doesn't look like it in the
photo I have, but my understanding is that it should have.
Yes, it does.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520