Atlas 11K Tank Cars - Second Run

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I was in M. B. Klein today in Baltimore and noticed that the second run of these cars were on the shelves. Among the roadnames was UTLX, car nos. 96266 and 92269. Both cars have dome platforms.

In Richard Hendrickson's article, RMJ, July 2003, there is a photo of UTLX 96274; it does not have dome platforms.

My question is whether these new UTLX offerings from Atlas should have the dome platforms?

Many thanks.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood, MD

Ed Hawkins

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 01:10 PM, James F. Brewer wrote:

I was in M. B. Klein today in Baltimore and noticed that the second run of these cars were on the shelves. Among the roadnames was UTLX, car nos. 96266 and 92269. Both cars have dome platforms.

In Richard Hendrickson's article, RMJ, July 2003, there is a photo of UTLX 96274; it does not have dome platforms.

My question is whether these new UTLX offerings from Atlas should have the dome platforms?

Many thanks.
Jim Brewer
Jim,
The UTLX 96266 represents a car from series 96263-96272, 10 cars built 2-48 under AC&F lot no. 3169. Cars in this series had full dome platforms. The UTLX 96274 was from series 96273-96274, 2 cars built 11-48 under AC&F lot no. 3384. These two cars had the simple side platforms, as shown in the referenced photo. Once again, Atlas proves to modelers who care about accuracy that they aren't targeting their products to that group. Do these guys have a clue to what they are doing?
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Ed,

Thanks!

Jim

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Arnold van Heyst

I will like to have a picture of the Atlas UTLX 96274,
Anyone know a retailer which is selling them?