Sylvan Gondola Ends

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dear friends,

The Sylvan web sites lists the following part: Mill Gondola Ends DP-0059: $3.95 CDN, $3.25 US. HO-Scale

The listing is found at: http://www.isp.ca/Sylvan/detail.htm

Has anyone here ever used these parts? I am wondering if they might be useful for replacing the PRR style ends that come with Eastern Car Works' 65' AAR mill gondola.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

Detail Associates also makes a styrene gon end which I have used to upgrade
a lot of my stand in gondolas to get interior corrugations. And don't
forget that the P2K gon kits come with two sets of ends, leaving you with a
spare set. The RTR crowd is out of luck, but they probably don't care.

Regards,

Andy Miller

The Sylvan web sites lists the following part: Mill Gondola Ends DP-0059:
$3.95 CDN, $3.25 US. HO-Scale

The listing is found at: http://www.isp.ca/Sylvan/detail.htm

Has anyone here ever used these parts? I am wondering if they might be
useful for replacing the PRR style ends that come with Eastern Car Works'
65' AAR mill gondola.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ian Cranstone

On 1-Jun-04, at 12:04 PM, Garth Groff wrote:

Dear friends,

The Sylvan web sites lists the following part: Mill Gondola Ends DP-0059: $3.95 CDN, $3.25 US. HO-Scale

The listing is found at: http://www.isp.ca/Sylvan/detail.htm

Has anyone here ever used these parts? I am wondering if they might be useful for replacing the PRR style ends that come with Eastern Car Works' 65' AAR mill gondola.
I haven't used them, but I believe these are probably a re-release of the old Dan Kirlin parts (originally released under the Canadian Model Railway Parts Guild name?). Some years ago, Clare Gilbert (Sylvan) purchased the patterns and rights from Dan Kirlin for his various ends/roofs/doors etc., intended to convert U.S. prototype cars to those built by various Canadian builders which had their own unique ideas in terms of these parts.

If so, these gondola ends were intended to replace the PRR ends that you mention on the ECW gon to make it a better replica of cars built by Canadian Car & Foundry in 1958 for CNR.

Ian & Katherina Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Jun 1, 2004, at 9:18 AM, Andy Miller wrote:

Detail Associates also makes a styrene gon end which I have used to
upgrade
a lot of my stand in gondolas to get interior corrugations.  And don't
forget that the P2K gon kits come with two sets of ends, leaving you
with a
spare set.  The RTR crowd is out of luck, but they probably don't
care.
Tichy also sells the ends of their Dreadnaught drop ends as separate
parts.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Andy,

Good idea, except that the ECW 65' gon is MUCH narrower than the P2K 52' car. And we're not just talking about the drop doors here, but also the end posts and sill.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Andy Miller wrote:

Detail Associates also makes a styrene gon end which I have used to upgrade
a lot of my stand in gondolas to get interior corrugations. And don't
forget that the P2K gon kits come with two sets of ends, leaving you with a
spare set. The RTR crowd is out of luck, but they probably don't care.

Regards,

Andy Miller

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ian,

I'm not familiar with the CC&F cars you mention, but I gather from your
comments that they were considerably different from the AAR long
gondolas. Right? This would make the Sylvan end no better than retaining
the ECW PRR castings.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

On 1-Jun-04, at 3:21 PM, Garth Groff wrote:

I'm not familiar with the CC&F cars you mention, but I gather from your
comments that they were considerably different from the AAR long
gondolas. Right? This would make the Sylvan end no better than retaining
the ECW PRR castings.
In this case I think CC&F just copied an American design, given that this was the first order ever for 65' cars in Canada (200 cars for CN in 1958, and two smaller groups of 50 cars for CP in 1957 & 1958). Existing Canadian-style gondola ends probably weren't sized for the narrower longer car, and for only 300 cars over two years CC&F may well have opted to buy parts off the shelf. I don't have data on the AAR cars handy, so can't compare them very well.

I wish I could offer more conclusive info -- perhaps you could try emailing Sylvan and see if a photo is available?

Ian & Katherina Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...