Topics

Revell PFE plug door reefer

Tim O'Connor

Has anyone ever seen this model up close enough to say
if some part of it represents a PFE R-40-26? For example
if the sides are good, I could toss the roof, ends and
floor and use Intermountain or other replacement parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5901611167

Tim O.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Has anyone ever seen this model up close enough to say
if some part of it represents a PFE R-40-26? For example
if the sides are good, I could toss the roof, ends and
floor and use Intermountain or other replacement parts.
Uh, don't go there, Tim.

Publishers of books on railroad history

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor asked:
Has anyone ever seen this model up close enough to say
if some part of it represents a PFE R-40-26? For example
if the sides are good, I could toss the roof, ends and
floor and use Intermountain or other replacement parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5901611167

I'd go along with Tony's advice on this one regarding an R-40-26.
However, Stan Rydarowicz has successfully used this model, though I
can't remember what prototype he used this for, and he hasn't written
this project up yet. At any rate, he's gotten surprisingly good
results out of several "junk" reefer models, including some URTX
reefers out of the Mantua "Heavy" reefer with Red Caboose X29 ends
and roof (Railmodel Journal, September 2001). I owe him a phone call
anyway, so I'll ask him about his Revell reefer conversions.

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

The greatest problem with these cars, besides the relatively crude detailing, is that the sides are not tall enough to accurately represent their prototype. The ends and roof are junk. One could replace the ends with the DW 4/4 end and put a new roof on, but the best you could say is this it would be a stand-in until someone brings out an accurate model.

I have used the sides from two of these cars, with a 50' overhanging roof and the 4/4 end to approximate a B&M milk car, but that's about the only use I have been able to make of them.

And don't pay $15.99 for one. They are always at Timonium and other shows for a few bucks each.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Tim O'Connor asked:
Has anyone ever seen this model up close enough to say
if some part of it represents a PFE R-40-26? For example
if the sides are good, I could toss the roof, ends and
floor and use Intermountain or other replacement parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5901611167

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.