From: Howard R Garner
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 5:35 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re:lead shot

>I just got a reply from a gun collector friend. Number 8 shot is used for
>shooting skeet and should be available at Wal-Mart and any shop that sells
>reloading supplies. There is also 8.5 and 9 shot and something he refers to as
>"dust."
>All of this is cheaper in quantity than through a hobby supply. The same is
>true of the stick on weights. I buy mine at a car parts store. Much
>cheaper.

25 pounds of #9 shot was $16.99 at the local sporting goods store last fall.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Also don't forget lead wool.<
The only problem here in CA it's easier to get lead by walking certain
cities at night than it is to buy it in a store<G>.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Steven Holding <s.holding@...>

For easy sheet lead to add to floors. I get a lead vent stack flange from Home Depot and use a hobby knife to cut it up and an old bottle to roll it out flat.
Get old tire weights and use a torch to melt them down. Use modeling clay wrapped in saran wrap forced into the cavity of a car and make a plaster mold. WOrks great for casting a weight for between the bays of a hopper car.
Steve

>I just got a reply from a gun collector friend. Number 8 shot is used for
>shooting skeet and should be available at Wal-Mart and any shop that sells
>reloading supplies. There is also 8.5 and 9 shot and something he refers to as
>"dust."
>All of this is cheaper in quantity than through a hobby supply. The same is
>true of the stick on weights. I buy mine at a car parts store. Much
>cheaper.

25 pounds of #9 shot was $16.99 at the local sporting goods store last fall.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Don Valentine

Quoting Steven Holding <s.holding@...>:

For easy sheet lead to add to floors. I get a lead vent stack flange
from Home Depot and use a hobby knife to cut it up and an old bottle to
roll it out flat.

That's too much like work! Can't you get plain sheet lead flashing
material in a roll? Roll out a bit and cut off what you need. If Home
Depot is selling lead vent stack flanges instead of the aluminum and
rubber ones that everyone else has sold for nearly twenty years it
would seem they would have such flashing as well. Will try to check
with my "local" Home Depot....which is 80 miles away!

Don Valentine

Ned Carey <nedcarey@...>

get plain sheet lead flashing . . .
Roll out a bit and cut off what you need.
Whats the best way to cut lead sheet. I wanted to replace the slope sheet
weights on some hoppers with lead sheet. I found it dificult to cut to any
specific shape accurately.

Ned

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

Scissors or, if its really thick, tin snips.

Regards,

Andy Miller

Roll out a bit and cut off what you need.
Whats the best way to cut lead sheet. I wanted to replace the slope sheet
weights on some hoppers with lead sheet. I found it dificult to cut to any
specific shape accurately.

Ned

Yahoo! Groups Links

Don Valentine

Quoting Ned Carey <nedcarey@...>:

get plain sheet lead flashing . . .
Roll out a bit and cut off what you need.
Whats the best way to cut lead sheet. I wanted to replace the slope
sheet
weights on some hoppers with lead sheet. I found it dificult to cut to
any specific shape accurately.
Duck billed aviation shears will probably work as well as anything.
Any store carrying Stanley Tools should have them.

Don Valentine

Richard Hendrickson

Ned Carey asks:

Whats the best way to cut lead sheet. I wanted to replace the slope sheet
weights on some hoppers with lead sheet. I found it dificult to cut to any
specific shape accurately.
Scissors, as suggested by Andy Miller, cause the lead to curl and get all
bent out of shape. I prefer to use a straight edge and score the lead with
a stout X-Acto knife blade. Two or three strokes with the blade will cut
through the lead. Or you can make a template out of heavy styrene sheet
and score around it.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Schuyler Larrabee

weight for between the bays of a hopper car.
Steve
REBOXX sells these in several diffferent styles
for the more popular models.

SGL

Schuyler Larrabee