Need help identifying boxcar

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as 1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Richard Hendrickson

Mark Heiden writes:

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as 1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!
I can't help with the gondola, as not enough of it is visible. However the
box car is unmistakably ex-Northern Pacific 14500-14999 (NP Brainerd Shops
1931-'32) or 20000-20499 (NP Laurel Shops 1931-'32). Sunshine has recently
issued resin kits for these cars.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Mark Heiden

Thanks for the identity of the boxcar, Richard. The part in my
original message about the gondola was a desparate hope that someone
might recognize the end of it. I think the WAG's gondola fleet was a
collection of one of a kinds (or a few of a kinds).

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Mark Heiden wrote:
I think the WAG's gondola fleet was a collection of one of a kinds
(or a few of a kinds).

We can say that about their entire freight car fleet, or for that
matter, the freight car fleets of all of the Salzburg roads.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Sure looks like another Missouri Pacific car to me. I
think this is one of the cars available from Westerfield.

Hello everyone,

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as 1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Don Valentine

Did the MoPac use Z bars or hat section framing? For a quick version one
can rework an Accurail car and come reasonably close to this WAG car.

Don Valentine

Quoting Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>:

Sure looks like another Missouri Pacific car to me. I
think this is one of the cars available from Westerfield.

Hello everyone,

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as 1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Yahoo! Groups Links

Mark Heiden

Hi Don,

Do you mean the 4500? Those ends are the problem (I think it's Murphy
on the Accurail). I'd want to take a closer look at it but it might
do as a "three-footer".

Mark Heiden

Quoting Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...>:

Sure looks like another Missouri Pacific car to me. I
think this is one of the cars available from Westerfield.

Hello everyone,

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as
1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Yahoo! Groups Links

Mark Heiden

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I assume you're talking about the Westerfield
1900 series kits. It looks like a close kit but the ends are different.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:

Sure looks like another Missouri Pacific car to me. I
think this is one of the cars available from Westerfield.

Hello everyone,

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

This series likely arrived in 1958, but possibly as early as 1956. Any
modeling suggestions would be welcome. Also, if anyone wants to take
a stab at that gondola behind it, I'm all ears!

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson wrote

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg
I can't help with the gondola, as not enough of it is visible. However the
box car is unmistakably ex-Northern Pacific 14500-14999 (NP Brainerd Shops
1931-'32) or 20000-20499 (NP Laurel Shops 1931-'32). Sunshine has recently
issued resin kits for these cars.
To which Tim "misteaks are my specialty" O'Connor responds:

Unmistakably?? I am looking at a builder photo of MP #93999, and every single
visible detail of the WAG box car exactly matches the Missouri Pacific car.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of any of the NP cars handy, or I would
be able to compare them. Since WAG had bought the MP rebuilds, I inferred
that it might have bought other cars too ...
Yes, unmistakably. For one thing, the car had an NP circular roof, a
design which only the NP used. Aside from that, the MP cars that
superficially resembled the WAG car in question were much taller, 9'3" vs.
8'6".

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Len Allman <allmansipe@...>

Hello
Is this one of the cars which the WAG purchased from
BM?

--- Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:
Richard Hendrickson wrote

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I
need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar,
WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg

=====
Keep Smilin'
Len Allman

"one nation under surveillance..."

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Jul 8, 2004, at 9:40 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

>>>There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
>>>identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series
7000-7020
>>>(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:
>>>
>>>http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg
>>
>>I can't help with the gondola, as not enough of it is visible.
However the
>>box car is unmistakably ex-Northern Pacific 14500-14999 (NP
Brainerd Shops
>>1931-'32) or 20000-20499 (NP Laurel Shops 1931-'32).  Sunshine has
recently
>>issued resin kits for these cars.

To which Tim "misteaks are my specialty" O'Connor responds:

>Unmistakably?? I am looking at a builder photo of MP #93999, and
every single
>visible detail of the WAG box car exactly matches the Missouri
Pacific car.
>Unfortunately I don't have a photo of any of the NP cars handy, or I
would
>be able to compare them. Since WAG had bought the MP rebuilds, I
inferred
>that it might have bought other cars too ...

Yes, unmistakably.  For one thing, the car had an NP circular roof, a
design which only the NP used.  Aside from that, the MP cars that
superficially resembled the WAG car in question were much taller,
9'3" vs.
8'6".
I have to go with Tim on this one. The car in question has top hung
doors. The NP cars referenced had Camel No. 50 door fixtures which the
WAG car does not. In addition, the top of the ends on the NP cars are
straight across with the roof sitting on top of this straight line.
The MP cars had radial roofs that had the typical radial roof end eaves
that were like two crescent shapes, as on this WAG car. The
Dreadnaught ends on the NP cars were clearly typical Dreadnaught ends
with the main corrugations extending outward. The MP cars' ends were
somewhat recessed, like those on the WAG car. Finally, the NP cars had
Miner Ideal hand brakes. The MP cars had Ajax, like the one shown in
the picture. I concur with Tim and think it's an ex-MP 93000-93999,
which had Ajax hand brakes. It could be MP 90500-91249 or 94000-95249
with a replacement Ajax hand brake, but that's less likely.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson wrote

There is a Wellsville, Addison & Galeton boxcar I need help to
identify. It's a single sheathed wooden boxcar, WAG series 7000-7020
(or higher). There is a photo of 7019 at:

http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg
I can't help with the gondola, as not enough of it is visible. However the
box car is unmistakably ex-Northern Pacific 14500-14999 (NP Brainerd Shops
1931-'32) or 20000-20499 (NP Laurel Shops 1931-'32). Sunshine has recently
issued resin kits for these cars.

Unmistakably?? I am looking at a builder photo of MP #93999, and every single
visible detail of the WAG box car exactly matches the Missouri Pacific car.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of any of the NP cars handy, or I would
be able to compare them. Since WAG had bought the MP rebuilds, I inferred
that it might have bought other cars too ...

Tim "Mistakes are my specialty" O.

Tim O'Connor

Richard,

I looked up the WAG car in the 1965 ORER, and you are right:
the MP cars must have been 9'3" tall, because that also is
the inside height of the WAG cars in series 7000-7024. The
WAG bought at least 23 of the cars.

Perhaps you was confused because the MP cars in question had
a radial roof.

[...]

The MP cars had Z bars, but the ends were very different than the
Accurail car.

Don Valentine

Quoting Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

[...]

No arguement on the height issue, Richard, but are you certain that
is a circular roof??? Given the view provided I would not state for
certain that it is or is not. Perhaps Mark knows for certain.

Don Valentine

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

May be my eyes, but the end of that roof does not look like a radial roof
line.
--
Brian Ehni

From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:24 -0700
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Need help identifying boxcar

Richard Hendrickson wrote
http://www.s363.com/images/wag/wagobbox.jpg
Yes, unmistakably. For one thing, the car had an NP circular roof, a
design which only the NP used. Aside from that, the MP cars that
superficially resembled the WAG car in question were much taller, 9'3" vs.
8'6".

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

I've uploaded a side by side of the WAG photo and a builders photo of
MP 94209. For further comparison, a broadside shot of NP 20031 is at

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Box-cars/40-foot-single-
sheathed/NP-Bettendorf-xm-Rail-Data.jpg

Ben Hom

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Len Allman asked:
Is this one of the cars which the WAG purchased from BM?

Negative.
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/bm71785main.html

Ben Hom

Mark Heiden

The cars the WAG bought from the B&M were XM-1s. The WAG started
buying these cars in 1958, and eventually acquired several hundred of
them. Don't know about that door though. All the XM-1s on the WAG
that I have seen had Youngstown doors versus the door on BM 71785. Is
the difference in doors a result of different orders? There also
appeared to be a difference in roofs on the XM-1s the WAG purchased.
Some cars had a roof that looked completely flat while others had a
roof with very prominent ribs at the panel joints.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@w...> wrote:
Len Allman asked:
Is this one of the cars which the WAG purchased from BM?

Negative.
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/bm71785main.html

Ben Hom

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., newrail@s... wrote:
Quoting Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

[...]

Unfortunately I can't say I know one way or another. I found more
photos of what I think is 7000 series (it's two cars back in a train)
but the end is obscured. Oddly enough, I found a photo of 7019 in a
book, but again the end is partially obscured by a caboose, and there
is only a little of 7019 in the frame.

Mark Heiden