Topics

Kadee #4s (was: Kadee #58s) #4s

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
"Who continues to use Kadee #4s today? Well those of us who delight
in restoring to new use old cars from the '50s; and an unknown number
of you out there who love the springy slack action that results from
the actions of a string of these cars. However, attempting to insert
a tiny filler piece inside one of the tiny coupler shank springs (to
reduce run-out), and then inserting these springs in place for and
aft of the coupler box post while holding the whole assembly together
is a balancing act not for the faint hearted- and I avoid these
couplers whenever I can do so."

From an operational standpoint, I really liked the old #4s. This
spring design gave it a reliable centering action superior than that
provided by the stamped leaf spring of the #5.

FWIW, my $.02 on the #58 - I think it's wasted when you mount it in
the "Athearn standard" #5 coupler pocket, because now it really draws
attention to the fact that the draft gear is too wide and shallow. I
feel that the net improvement in appearance is zero.

Ben Hom

Joe Binish <joebinish@...>

Ben et al,
I have to agree that the 58 in the wide/shallow dg looks silly, but the
closer to correct 58 looks good when coupled to another in a freight train.
We have not noticed any operational problems on my buddy Rich Remiarz's GN
layout, although we haven't opped lately, as Rich keeps tearing up the track
work to make it "better!"
Joe Binish

Don Valentine

Quoting benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>:

FWIW, my $.02 on the #58 - I think it's wasted when you mount it in
the "Athearn standard" #5 coupler pocket, because now it really draws
attention to the fact that the draft gear is too wide and shallow. I
feel that the net improvement in appearance is zero.

How aboiut whejn you view a single car from the side, Ben, or the cars
of a train as we usually see them. The effect then is considerably different,
though I cannot dispute your point when a car is viewed only from an end.

Don Valentine

Andy Harman <andy10@...>

At 01:06 PM 7/15/2004 -0400, you wrote:
How aboiut whejn you view a single car from the side, Ben, or the cars
of a train as we usually see them. The effect then is considerably different,
though I cannot dispute your point when a car is viewed only from an end.
The same can be said about code 88 or other narrow tread wheels. They go to waste tucked under the sill of a modern box car, but in an end view of a hopper car, they make a world of difference.

Andy

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Don Valentine wrote:
"How about when you view a single car from the side, Ben, or the cars
of a train as we usually see them. The effect then is considerably
different, though I cannot dispute your point when a car is viewed
only from an end."

That is true - my point is that using just the #58 coupler isn't
going to solve all of your appearance woes. You need to consider the
appearance of the draft gear, or the entire model for that matter. I
get a kick out of watching people slap #58s into unmodified Athearn
40 ft boxcars and then declare the job done.

Ben Hom