From: "Garth Groff" <ggg9y@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Globe Freight Car Models (was Kadee #58s)

Frank,

I owned a Globe boxcar I picked up someplace in the mid-1960s. Although
the technology was similar to the Athearn metal cars (stamped metal
parts), there were a lot of differences. The Globe car was made of
stamped aluminum over a wooden core, versus the Athearn's steel with
metal end formers. I never could get the car to stay together, since the
glues I had wouldn't hold the metal parts to the wooden core. I knew
nothing of Goo at that point. Kind of a shame too, as the car was very
attractive. It was a model of a GN aluminum-sided car (I don't know if
it was accurate, probably not), but the sides were unpainted metal with
the lettering crisply screened on, and the finish was quite realistic.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Park Varieties wrote:

From the "For What It Is Worth" Department:
To the best of my knowledge, Athearn never marketed any of the Globe
metal cars under the Athearn brand name . . .

. . . It is my understanding that the Globe tooling was never run in
production by Irv - he just saw an opportunity to eliminate a competitor.
You have to be careful about descriptions on eBay; many people do not really
know the differences between Globe and Athearn cars. Any comments or
corrections of this info. welcomed.

Frank Brua

Yahoo! Groups Links