Walthers 50-foot Express Reefer

Ed Hawkins

On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 05:29 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

A quick question directed to Ed Hawkins (and anyone else who might know)-

Main Line models produced for many years a Milwaukee Road URTX
General American Express refrigerator car #48330 that was decorated
with silk screened orange sides, a maroon fascia board lettered THE
MILWAUKEE ROAD , and ??black roof and underframe. The car is
actually pretty handsome , and the decoration, real or bogus looks
quick appropriate.

Athearn apparently copied Main Line and brought out an identical car
in molded plastic.

Ed, in your GARX research, did you find any hint that a car such as
this actually existed? No one yet in the Milwaukee historical fold
has yet been able to substantiate it.
Denny,
I guess I haven't been lucky enough to run across a photo of this car yet. I don't know what year the car was supposed to be "valid" but I checked the 1/52 ORER and there are a grand total of two cars listed in the series 40950-50699 and they are 40' reefers. While I can't say with absolute certainty, I'd guess the model is something that the manufacturer thought would sell.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Richard Hendrickson

On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 05:29 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

A quick question directed to Ed Hawkins (and anyone else who might
know)-

Main Line models produced for many years a Milwaukee Road URTX
General American Express refrigerator car #48330 that was decorated
with silk screened orange sides, a maroon fascia board lettered THE
MILWAUKEE ROAD , and ??black roof and underframe. The car is
actually pretty handsome , and the decoration, real or bogus looks
quick appropriate.

Athearn apparently copied Main Line and brought out an identical car
in molded plastic.

Ed, in your GARX research, did you find any hint that a car such as
this actually existed? No one yet in the Milwaukee historical fold
has yet been able to substantiate it.
To which Ed Hawkins replied:

I guess I haven't been lucky enough to run across a photo of this car
yet. I don't know what year the car was supposed to be "valid" but I
checked the 1/52 ORER and there are a grand total of two cars listed in
the series 40950-50699 and they are 40' reefers. While I can't say with
absolute certainty, I'd guess the model is something that the
manufacturer thought would sell.
I have two photos of URTX General-American-built 50' wood sheathed express
reefers with yellow-orange sides but they are numbered 3356 and 3371 and do
not have maroon letterboards or Milwaukee Road emblems or lettering. I
assume they were intended to be operated on the MILW, however, as one of
the photos (a color slide) shows the car under catenary on the MILW's
electrified district. FWIW the color of the sides was slightly lighter
than PFE Daylight Orange, as a part of a recently repainted PFE freight
reefer is also visible in the photo.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California

Tim O'Connor

Ed Hawkins wrote

Sorry if I confused the question. The Walthers express reefers of an
all steel car represents riveted-side cars built by GATC in 1955 and
1957 for REX only. Any other schemes put on this car are bogus.
The San Luis Central, a shortline in central Colorado, leased (or bought)
hundreds of ex-REA reefers in the late 1960's and 1970's for transporting
potatoes. I know it's beyond the scope of the STMFC but Walthers has done
the SLC paint scheme and it is accurate.

Regarding the trucks on the 1950s GATC cars, I haven't studied their
use to the extent that I could offer any useful information about them
on other applications.
I haven't made a close comparison, but some 1950's mail & express cars
built for SP, Rock Island and I think MP had similar looking trucks.

Denis F. Blake <dblake2996@...>

The cars that Branchline has done and will be releasing soon were done from ACL drawings...from my collection. They will be good for ACL cars as well and last I heard will be offered in ACL's royal purple scheme as well.

Denis F. Blake
NS Conductor
Columbus, OH
TTHOTS