Trix U.P. CA-3 caboose.

Arnold van Heyst

Where can i buy these GSI outside-swing-hanger trucks?
Walthers?

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

"mrdata1968" wrote:
Where can I buy these GSI outside-swing-hanger trucks? Walthers?

Yes.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-1062

Ben Hom

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

We need to tighten-up our terminology here.

These trucks are "outside-equalizer-trucks". The bar connecting the
journals is the equalizer. The equalizer transfers the car's weight on
the sideframes from the springs to the journal boxes and axles. On this
truck there are equalizers on both sides of each sideframe.
Inside-equalizer-trucks have the equalizer inside the sideframe
structure itself.

EMD GP and F trucks are "outside-spring-hanger-trucks" with the
spring-hanger (the separate part on Athearn trucks) holding up the
spring and thereby the bolster an the rest of the locomotive.

From: mrdata1968 <mrdata1968@...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:11:57 -0000
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Trix U.P. CA-3 caboose.

So this is the only one i need for the caboose?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/732-414

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

Overland appears to have offered this truck separately, but it now shows
being discontinued. Try contacting ³Houston Roundhouse² and ask for Wayne: I
don¹t have the number, but he¹s listed in the modeling mags. The usual
disclaimers apply.
--
Brian Ehni

From: mrdata1968 <mrdata1968@...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:11:57 -0000
To: <STMFC@...>

So this is the only one i need for the caboose?
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/732-414

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Jul 21, 2004, at 1:16 PM, Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

That’s a passenger car truck (as in 85’ long), not a caboose truck.
Wow, an 85' long truck? Must require a heck of a frog number! <VBG>

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Tim O'Connor

Brian Ehni wrote

Overland appears to have offered this truck separately, but it
now shows being discontinued.
Yes, but I think it was the roller bearing version. I think
they also imported a version with an axle generator.

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

Actually I think we have a blind men and the elephant problem here. The
walthers' truck is not outside-swinger-hanger. My comments were related
to the pictured truck only. Some comments dealt with the location of the
swing hangers. My comment dealt with what was "outside" about the truck,
not what a swing hanger is or isn't. I have a way of looking at things
tangentially. The truck in Tim's post has outside-swing-hangers and
inside-equalizers. Both have snubbers (aka shock absorbers).

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294a25oa/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
D=groups/S=1705169725:HM/EXP=1090479827/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=520367489>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Doug Brown wrote:
Actually I think we have a blind men and the elephant problem here . . .
The truck in Tim's post has outside-swing-hangers and
inside-equalizers. Both have snubbers (aka shock absorbers).
In truck language, friction snubbers, loaded by means of springs (whether in the bolster or substituted for a spring group), are usually differentiated from hydraulic snubbers. Of course, YMMV.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dick Harley <Dick.Harley@...>

Back on Mon Jul 19, 2004 Andy Sperandeo wrote:

So the Trix Q trucks are good for some cars right through the 1950s, but the
Centrailia outside-swing-hanger trucks can be used on CA-3s of the 1950s
just as well.
<<

Just to say this one more time, the Centralia OSH trucks have roller
bearings (which can be changed as several folks have said). UP cabooses did
not get roller bearing trucks until 1964, when the CA-8 class was built.

As for the CA-3 and CA-4 classes, as far as I know, only those cars upgraded
to pool service got roller bearings and/or truck mounted alternators.
Records indicate that only nine cars were so upgraded, and it was done in
1975 (long past the time frame of this list). They were: 25012, 25049,
25112, 25125, 25133, 25176, 25181, 25190 and 25193.

Regards,
Dick Harley