"Limited Runs" and the STMFC Membership

Shawn Beckert

Jon Miller sez, regarding the IM AT&SF stock car:

...we need to get those orders in quickly as they
are limited runs <VBG>.
A fuzzy, cloudy (some would say gaseous) thought is
forming here. The thing about "limited runs" is that
they may hit dealer shelves (if they even get that far)
and be gone before many of us know about them, or have
the wherewithal to act on the information. A perfect
example is the so-far-unseen Red Caboose SP flatcar.

There are 877 people on this list. We may be the only
"kit builders" left in the world, for all we know. Do
we as a group have any clout with the manufacturers?
Is there some way we can contract, as a group, with
a manufacturer to secure for ourselves the kits we want
before they hit the hobby dealers?

Example: Marty needs so many orders in hand before he will
commit to doing a particular kit, say the AT&SF stock car.
If we could each commit to buying a certain number of kits
directly from Intermountain, and pool our order into one
large purchase, could we exhibit enough "good faith" to the
manufacturer to a) guarantee him the sale to us as a group,
b) guarantee for ourselves the number of kits that each of
the group wants to own, and c) maybe get ourselves a price
break as well. A win-win situation.

I envision this as a sort of "kit-of-the-month" club, though
it would probably be more like "kit-of-the-year". Obviously
a lot of details would have to be worked out, like who would
take custody of the shipment of kits, who would collect the
money, and how would the kits be distributed to the buyers.
But it might be a solution to the phenomenon called "The
Vanishing Era of Kit Building".

What do you guys think - are there any possibilities here?

Shawn Beckert

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

Count me in!

Regards,

Andy Miller

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

I¹m in!
--
Brian Ehni

From: Andy Miller <asmiller@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:09:52 -0400
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] "Limited Runs" and the STMFC Membership

Count me in!

Regards,

Andy Miller

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bdlfms/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=g
roups/S=1705169725:HM/EXP=1090674696/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://com
panion.yahoo.com>

Yahoo! Groups Links
*
*
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

I think any entepreneur could handle the whole thing but I suspect doing the
shipping would get "old" very, very quickly. And of course, "overstock" to
eBay.

Hey, a question to Marty: You said anything over 90 days is dead inventory.
Ever try and move it on eBay?

Dave Nelson

I envision this as a sort of "kit-of-the-month" club, though it would
probably be more like "kit-of-the-year". Obviously a lot of details would
have to be worked out, like who would take custody of the shipment of kits,
who would collect the money, and how would the kits be distributed to the
buyers.
But it might be a solution to the phenomenon called "The Vanishing Era of
Kit Building".

armprem

Where does one go to get a list of available IM and RC kits?Surely
not Walthers.Armand premo

I envision this as a sort of "kit-of-the-month" club, though it would
probably be more like "kit-of-the-year". Obviously a lot of details would
have to be worked out, like who would take custody of the shipment of
kits,
who would collect the money, and how would the kits be distributed to the
buyers.
But it might be a solution to the phenomenon called "The Vanishing Era of
Kit Building".

Yahoo! Groups Links

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Armand,

Try the IM and RC web sites. They both list what is currently in stock. RC generally lists their whole catalog, though IM only seems to show what is currently available, or has just gone out of stock.

http://www.red-caboose.com/

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/

Of course, what is on dealers' shelves or at train shows is an entirely different matter.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Clyde Williams <billdgoat@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "armand premo" <armprem@s...> wrote:
Where does one go to get a list of available IM and RC kits?
Surely
not Walthers.Armand premo
They all have websites, usually listed in their ads in MR, RMC, etc.
Bill Williams

Justin Kahn

Just a caution (again): although probably the vast majority of the membership is in HO, not all of us are. I'd guess it safe to estimate that at least ten per cent are in other scales, perhaps the largest number in O scale, where all the attention to prototype detail results in the greatest dividends, but N scale is also a possibility.
So any limited production run based on the number of STMFC subscribers would need to take that into account. Even if every member were in HO, as well as factoring in serious modellers who don't know about the list or don't choose to participate, it would be shaky to mass-produce cars based on that projection using expensive injection dies. The current resin kits--primarily in HO--probably are the best that can be expected for high-fidelity conformity to prototype, and the runs of several hundred are apparently what the market can absorb. Assuming that the usual producers do have runs of that number, which I am not sure I have seen anyone state.

Jace Kahn
Mostly Fairbanks

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/