Working on the ends

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Thank you all for the plethora of good ideas and workarounds on this common problem. Although I am vowing to actually make a clamp much as Jon Miller describes, the china mug idea is so dirt simple obvious that I have already put it to work!

Marty McG's inverted cone is intriguing.

That I should watch my words and syntax when Tony Thompson is reading is a lesson that I relearn too often. Can I indeed crawl and type on the internet at the same time? No, but I can alternate (;-).

Good tweezers: a hot topic. The errant retainer valve was the direct result of being held in inadequate tweezers in one hand, while holding the car in the second, and simultaneous applying ACC with the third.

Jack Burgess's Swiss-made Vigor tweezers are among the best. DuMont is the another good name.

My best tweezers were acquired when I was a young medical intern some 40 years ago. A bad habit common to high strung surgeons of the day was to take out operative frustrations on the nearest object not the patient- the instruments at hand. More instruments would go flying across the room accompanied by imprecations and "bad language", always with a comment that whatever was not going right was the fault of "that lousy scalpel. clamp, tweezers, etc. (fill in the blanks)". Well, these instruments, once thrown, could never be used again, and,,,,, there was almost ever nothing wrong with them! Well, yours truly, impecunious , promptly swept these tools up at the end of the surgery into my modeling toolbox; and yet today, although now a little worse for wear, they still form the center of my most reliable modeling tools.

BTW, throwing operative instruments today would result in a suspension- as it should have years ago as well.

Denny

Schuyler Larrabee

But Denny, you've left out the most important bit
of information:

Did you find the retainer valve?

SGL

[...]

--------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register
anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9Mt
olB/TM

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

SGL inquires whether or not I ever found the retainer valve-

No. I ended up stealing one from another kit.

Kindred to Bill Darnaby's annual summer porch resin kit construction program, I too reserve my resin kit building for the balmy summer evenings on the porch of our summer cottage some 1600 miles away from home (and I have no idea where I might find the nearest hobby shop). To do this, I have assembled the world's largest collection of 3rd and 4th rate 3rd world tools and geejaws, one of which propelled the retainer valve to------ where?? The car that I was finishing is a gorgeous Sunshine Sand Springs Rwy. rebuilt single sheathed car (an appropriate car inasmuch as an uncle was the railway's long standing general counsel).

My next car is a Sunshine vinegar car. I have Bill Darnaby's excellent writeup on hand, and already his superb notes have saved me much grief. Challenging car. I thank Tim O'C for his timely color photo of the prototype.

Mont Switzer is a truly great modeler, but working on the ends upside down has to be sheer legerdemain. Mont, do you lie on your back?

SGLs exclusive use of self closing forceps for fine work, and Mike Brock's exclusive use of pliers for the same thing commands my utter respect. The former would seem so anti-intuitive for most of us that I would be afraid to try, and the latter would seem to only compound one's inherent clumsiness. That both gentlemen are extremely fine modelers of course belies this conventional wisdom.

The workers in the fine Japanese model making shops that produced the best of Tenshodo, United, and lot of other pretty fine brass models were often depicted using soldering irons the size of small baseball bats, the design of which forced them to hold them about 6-10" from the tip. Yet, the skills of these people was such that the solderwork of the time often surpasses by wide margins the quality and fine-ness current production using miniature resistance soldering tweezers.

Denny