Railroad ID help, please, GF&A Ry

Schuyler Larrabee

Help please.

I just went to look at a house in my neighborhood
which is on the market. Curious about that house,
so took the opportunity to see what was there.
Old house, only two families in it since 1885.

It's still furnished, and on the wall in a study
was a panorama photo, probably 10" high by 60" or
more wide. It shows a harbor off to the left, an
urban scene mid-right, with a new power plant at
the extreme right. The harbor is full of sailing
ships, no steamers that I could find, though the
room was not the best lit I've seen (which has
probably been good for the photo over the years).

It is annotated with GF&A features, "Marine
Terminal, Clssification Yard, Passenger and
Freight Station."

Several businesses have their names painted on the
facades, which will help:

Uneeda Biscuit (fairly common, I'd guess)
West Florida Grocery Company (probably locally
specific)
The Lewis Bear Company, Wholesale Groceries (also
locally specific, maybe)
W A Ray Hardware Company
Gautensen & Morrill, Riggers and Sailmakers

This New England mind thought: "Gainesville,
(mumble) and Atlanta?" Well, don't laugh,
Floridians, I already found out that Gainesville's
not on the coast, and this place is. So that's
not it. Unless the "A" is the coastal city, or
the "F" is.

I checked out my 1984 copy of Edson's "Railroad
Names" which lists
Georgia, Florida & Alabama, and
Gulf, Florida & Alabama,
So those are possibilities. But what port would I
be looking at?

SGL

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <smokeandsteam@...>

Georgia, Florida and Alabama was leased by SAL in the late 20s and
eventually merged. The road was one of those that bought the standard
Baldwin decapods in the twenties.

The port was probably Carabelle, Fla on the Gulf coast

Obligatory STMFC content - Hopper and SS boxcar pictures on Taplines
http://taplines.net/

HTH

Aidrian

---

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton"
wrote "....Hopper and SS boxcar pictures on Taplines
http://taplines.net/"

Under what headings?

Ed

Lee B Singletary <LBSingletary@...>

This is the Gulf, Florida & Alabama in Pensacola, Florida. The giveaway
is the The Lewis Bear Company. They are a local distributor in
Pensacola. Still there in in 1997 before we moved away. The GF&A wound
up under St. Louis-San Fransisco.

Lee Singletary
Former Pensacola resident

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:25:26 -0400 "Schuyler Larrabee"
<schuyler.larrabee@...> writes:
[...]

Alabaster, Alabama

Get your name as your email address.

Schuyler,

Galveston was an important port back then...

The GF&A was a Southern subsidiary, but I don't recall
any port city names beginning with a "G". Nahlins, Mobil,
Jacksonville, Savana, Chalstin...

Tim

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Lee. It's a neato photo. Wish there was
some way to scan that image, but at 60" long or
so, not likely to happen.

SGL

<schuyler.larrabee@...> writes:
[...]

______________
Get your name as your email address.
Includes spam protection, 1GB storage, no ads
and more Only
$1.99/ month - visit http://www.mysite.com/name
today!

--------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of
pop-up ads.
Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9Mt
olB/TM

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Lee B Singletary wrote:

This is the Gulf, Florida & Alabama in Pensacola, Florida. The giveaway
is the The Lewis Bear Company. They are a local distributor in
Pensacola. Still there in in 1997 before we moved away. The GF&A wound
up under St. Louis-San Fransisco.

Lee Singletary
Former Pensacola resident
Au contraire, according to pages 1694-1695 of the 1930 MOODY's STEAM RAILROADS. The Seaboard Air Line leased the properties of the Georgia, Florida & Alabama Railroad Company for 99 years effective January 1st, 1928. The GF&A owned 192.13 miles of track between Carrabelle FL through Tallahassee and Richland GA (180.90 miles), and between Havana and Quincy FL (11.23 miles). The company discontinued its steamship on January 1st, 1923 between Carrabelle & Apalachicola FL.

Tim Gilbert

Lee B Singletary <LBSingletary@...>

Tim,
It is the GULF, Florida and Alabama we're talking about, not the Georgia,
Florida & Alabama. The Gulf ran from Pensacola to Kimbrough Alabama.
I'd have to dig my records up with the dates if anyone is interested.

Lee Singletary