UTLX X-3

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

I'm looking at a drawing of a UTLX 10k tank car as drawn in the 3/85 issue
of Mainline Moderler. I assume it's probably close enough to being correct
to be useful (correct?).... Anyway, my question to the list is this: what
happens to the X-3 design when the tank is smaller, say 8k for instance?
Does the underframe get shorter or is it simply a smaller radius tank? Same
question for 6k tank.

Thanks,

Dave Nelson

Steve and Barb Hile

The answer is that it depends. The MM drawing is not perfect, but pretty close. The X-3 design did evolve over time and much of the details of how and why seem to have faded into the mist. It certainly appears that in the early design the 8000 and 10000 gallon cars seem to have shared a common underframe while the 6500 gallon car was "shorter" (truck centers closer together.) So the tank diameter for the 8000 gallon car was less than the 10000 gallon car.

In later incarnations (i.e. the 1937 build by ACF, which included both 6500 and 8000 gallon cars) the truck centers were identical and the tank diameters varied. So with this build (car numbers 17000-17799) the tank diameter of the 8000 gallon tank was virtually the same as typical 10000 gallon cars.

Hence the Sunshine kits have two basic truck center arrangements and 4 different tanks - 6500, long 8000, squat 8000 and 10000 gallons. Note also that the later incarnations did not have the full wood porches that the earlier cars had. There are some photos of a 17xxx car on the Steam Era Freight Cars website.

I hope this helps.

Steve Hile

I'm looking at a drawing of a UTLX 10k tank car as drawn in the 3/85 issue
of Mainline Moderler. I assume it's probably close enough to being correct
to be useful (correct?).... Anyway, my question to the list is this: what
happens to the X-3 design when the tank is smaller, say 8k for instance?
Does the underframe get shorter or is it simply a smaller radius tank? Same
question for 6k tank.

Thanks,

Dave Nelson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

Yes, thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

Uhh, different question, I think you'll know this one too: Were pre WWII RI
boxcars about the same paint color as post war?

Dave Nelson