GN 12 panel box cars

buchwaldfam <buchwaldfam@...>

In the Ocotber '98 RMJ, there is an article by Duane Buck about the
Great Northern 12 panel 40' box cars. I finally found one of these
cars in a shop on the other side of the state yesterday and picked it
up. (My wife has come to realize that any long car trip includes, as a
matter of principle, a survey of any hobby shops along the route!)
However, it is painted in the glacier green scheme, so will have to be
stripped and repainted. No problem there.. the only question is how to
paint it to back date it to around 1955.
This leads to the question of when the various paint schemes were
used. The two in particular that I'm interested in are the original
mineral red and the first vermillion "Empire Builder" scheme. The RMJ
article is somewhat ambiguous on when these two schemes were used.
There is a photo of (model) 18555 in the vermillion scheme, and a
photo of (model) 20500 in the mineral red scheme. The roster included
in the article states that the 18500-19499 series were built in 1949
while the 20500-21499 series were built in 1952. The photo of 20500
clearly shows a "NEW 8-52", implying that the mineral red scheme was
still being applied in 1952. I can't make out from the photo what the
reweigh data on the model of 18555 is, so this model may represent a
re-painted car.
Could anyone enlighten me as to the years when each of these paint
schemes were applied?

Thank you,
Phil Buchwald

EHNBOM STAFFAN <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Phil Buchwald wrote:

the only question is how to paint it to back date it to around 1955.
This leads to the question of when the various paint schemes were
used. The two in particular that I'm interested in are the original
mineral red and the first vermillion "Empire Builder" scheme.
The mineral red scheme with small sans serif lettering and the 72" herald on the right was used until April 1956. During that month the new shemes of billboard size Empire Builder lettering on mineral red (still 72" herald on right) was introduced for repaints of older cars. New cars, starting April 1956, received vermilion red car paint with underbody and trucks mineral red, slant serif lettering, 42" herald on left side. The September 1956 Trains magazine had a picture of the 18626 in the EB scheme with a 4-56 service date(and of a new 3500 series car in slant serif lettering).

So all the GN Intermountain twelve panel cars received the mineral red with small sans serif lettering scheme as built. None would receive the Empire Builder scheme until April of 1956 and then only over mineral red. Later, I don't know when, maybe somebody else can shed some light on this, older cars were repainted vermilion too. Apparently first with the EB lettering on the left and the 72" herald on the right. Later with the EB lettering on the right and a 42" herald on the left. Glacier green was introduced in 1961.

Staffan Ehnbom

Kert Peterson <kertp@...>

Phil,

The Vermillion Red paint scheme was applied after October 1956. The
Mineral Red scheme was used on these boxcars from 1948 until the Vermillion
Red scheme. Since you could still find the Mineral Red cars in the system
well into the 1970's, I suggest that if you are painting a car for any
timeframe after 1956, that you do so from a photo of that car.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA
kertp@...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

On 9/26/2004, Phil Buchwald wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the very comprehensive information! I'm modeling 1950-55,
so it looks like the mineral red scheme is the one I need to do. The
car I bought has Youngstown doors, so I was trying to verify the as
delivered scheme for a number series which was built with these
doors.

Thanks again!

Phil wrote:

I'm modeling 1950-55,
so it looks like the mineral red scheme is the one I need to do. The
car I bought has Youngstown doors, so I was trying to verify the as
delivered scheme for a number series which was built with these
doors.
Today I was leafing through the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia no. 5 and on p. 12 there is a photo of GN 12 panel box no.19666 in Empire Builder lettering and, according to the caption, painted vermilion with a 2-58 service date. So, if the caption is correct, which I think is very likely with the RPC, these cars might be repainted vermilion at least as early as 2-58. Still too late for your 50-55 era I'm afraid.

You'd have to stretch your era to 4-56 to be able to include the first examples of three of the 12 panel cars receiveing other than mineral red paint. There were three of them in the "circus train" of new freight car colors the GN painted up in 4-56. The 18588 was vermilion red with a giant size 40' long slant serif road name laid out along the entire top of the car including the Y doors. It had a simplified herald with no GN lettering. I guess they didn't need to identify the road name in the herald since they had a 40' road name painted across the top of the entire car side! The 19038 had an identical scheme in green lettering over an orange car body and Y door. The 18007 (Sup door) was also painted orange but had another scheme with the green slant serif road name on the left side half.

Several years ago I had the great pleasure of visiting with former St. Cloud shop foreman Leo Zierden. If my memory serves me right, Leo said there was an additional car repainted for the circus train. It was painted copper. But the next morning all the copper paint lay on the ground and the car had to be excluded from the circus train. I don't know, if the copper car was a single or double door car. I realize color is a matter of taste, but personally I'm convinced that a higher power with good taste had that copper paint job eliminated.

All GN 12 panel cars with Youngstown doors had the improved door version. The early Youngstown doors provided with the Intermountain model are best used building small yard sheds like the GN did! The Superior type door should be correct, though, for some of the series.

Staffan E