New N&W Boxcar kits

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Pocahontas Models LLC has two new HO scale kits of the N&W Class B-4/4A 50', double door, boxcars. The kits feature a one-piece polyurethane body and underframe. Most of the detail parts have been custom etched. Some additional Tichy detail parts are included, as are trucks. Custom decals were created from prototype photos and N&W Stenciling Diagrams and printed by Rail Graphics. No wheels or couplers are included to allow for modeler's preference on these items. Detailed instructions and data sheet are provided.

Kit No. 105 models N&W Class B-4/4A in number series 52300-52449. It has the rounded inside seam cap roof, 4-5 Dreadnaught ends, and Morton running board and brake step.

Kit No. 110 models N&W Class B-4 in number series 52450-52649. It has the improved Murphy Panel roof, 1-4-5 Dreadnaught ends, and Apex Tri-Lok running board and brake step.

Each kit is $44.95. MD residents add 5% sales tax. Add $5.00 to total order for shipping costs.

Please visit the web site, www.pocahontasmodels.com to see photographs of each kit, as well as the instructions.

I hope to produce additional models of N&W rolling stock; I'd appreciate your constructive criticism and comments regarding these kits. Please feel free to respond to me off list.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
pocahontasmodels@...

Brian Carlson

Jim, I am not too familar with N&W rolling stock. can you point me to a picture of the prototype on the internet. What time frame do the cars model based on the details and decals.

Brian carlson

"James F. Brewer" <jfbrewer@...> wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

James D Thompson <jaydeet@...>

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3244.JPG
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3243.JPG
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3242.JPG

Kit No. 110 models N&W Class B-4 in number series 52450-52649. It has the
improved Murphy Panel roof, 1-4-5 Dreadnaught ends, and Apex Tri-Lok
running board and brake step.
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3245.JPG

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Thanks for the interest in these kits. I have received several inquiries about prototype info (I should have included this in the announcement....live and learn!). And David Thompson graciously identified links to N&W Company photos at Virginia Tech.

As far as I have been able to determine, they were in general service, except for the Class B-4A which were equipped with DF loaders for auto parts.

These cars were built in 1940-41 by Greenville Steel Car Company. The first group, 52300-52349 and the third group, 52400-52449 were Class B-4. The second group built by Greenville, 52350-52399 were equipped with the loaders and designated Class B-4A. All of these cars had the rounded inside seam cap roof with recessed corners for the lateral walkways, Morton "Open Grip" metal running boards, latitudinal extensions and brake step, and 4-5 Dreadnaught Ends. The first group of B-4 and the entire group of B-4A had 7 rung side ladders and 6 rung end ladders. The third group of B-4 had 10 rung side ladders and 9 rung end ladders.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3244.JPG

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3243.JPG

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3242.JPG

The fourth group of these cars was built in 1941 by Greenville and were number series 52450-52649, and designated N&W Class B-4 also. This group featured the improved Murphy Panel Roof, Apex Tri-Lok metal running boards, latitudinal extensions and brake step, and 1-4-5 Dreadnaught ends. This entire group had 10 rung side ladders and 9 rund end ladders.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3245.JPG

Both kits have the custom etched parts that provide the different ladders and other details for the cars.

The entire B-4A class was leased to the DT&I in the 1950's and according to ORER listings, retained their N&W number series. However, I was unable to find a photo of these cars in service on the DT&I and thus do not know if they were simply stenciled with a designation that they were leased, or if they were actually painted in DT&I livery.

Most of these cars lasted past the 1964 merger of Wabash, NKP, AC&Y, PW&V into N&W.

The decal set covers all variations of the steam era stenciling practices of N&W. It includes the as delivered scheme of 7-inch high roadname (Norfolk & Western), the 1947 scheme of 7-inch high roadname (Norfolk and Western), as well as the 1952 scheme of 9-inch high roadname (Norfolk and Western). The different size reporting marks and road numbers are also included.

All of this information is included in the "Shop Bulletin" that is included in the kit. I hope to get it into pdf format and post it on the web site.

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
www.pocahontasmodels.com

Shawn Beckert

Jim,

I'm interested in both your kits, especially the B-4A since
automobile boxcars are much needed on my railroad, but I do
have a concern.

The photos of your assembled B-4A seem to show the car sitting
rather high off the trucks:

http://www.pocahontasmodels.com/images/gallery/kit%20105/pages/105_B_4A_jpg.htm

Is this just an illusion, or maybe the car was just "perched"
on the trucks for the photo? It could be just my old eyes, but
the car looks way too high for comfort. Your thoughts?

Shawn Beckert

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Shawn,

It might be a combination of things. First, my digital camera is a point
and click type; need to get a better camera (or a friend with a better
camera! :-)) to get some good pics. The photo of the B-4 is the same "model" as the B-4A. I simply decaled each side differently.

That being said you do have to file down the bolster mounting a bit to get
the correct height. This is covered in the instructions. The finished models in the pics match my Kadee coupler
gauge.

Thanks.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD