Too rich for me

Larry Smith

I just saw the notice for the new N&W boxcars. They are too expensive for me to even look at. At $45 for an unassemble kit has the resin market gone too far. This is $10 more then Westerfield and Sunshine. I know what is involved with getting a resin kit to market and the costs involved because I'm working with a company right now and doing the patterns for a new kit. Sorry guys but it is narrow gauge, which has an even more limited market then the N&W cars, and it won't be sold for anywhere near $45.

Sorry but this kit straps my budget so I won't be getting any of them.

Larry Smith

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Oct 21, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Larry Smith wrote:

I just saw the notice for the new N&W boxcars.  They are too expensive
for me to even look at.  At $45 for an unassemble kit has the resin
market gone too far. This is $10 more then Westerfield and Sunshine.
know what is involved with getting a resin kit to market and the costs
involved because I'm working with a company right now and doing the
patterns for a new kit.  Sorry guys but it is narrow gauge, which has
an
even more limited market then the N&W cars, and it won't be sold for
anywhere near $45.

Sorry but this kit straps my budget so I won't be getting any of them.
Larry:

No offense intended to Al & Martin, but with their kits, I always find
that I substitiute brake parts or sill steps or other things that make
the kit cost more than the list price anyway. This kit has all of
those things in it already. And, having seen the castings, they are
beautiful to boot. It's not really all that much more expensive all
things considered. Trucks are included with these, too.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

armprem

I How do you feel about the Milwaukee rib side cars?Too me,they are
on a par with Accurail and Bowser.Has anyone seen the "Dominion car yet?

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

mcindoefalls

Which, and whose, N&W boxcars?

Walt Lankenau

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

[...]

Would your opinion have been different if these particular cars were
on your "must have" list, or are you just commenting that $45 is too
much for a resin freight car, regardless? Al and Martin have
multiple offerings at all times, plus a pretty good feel for what
their markets are. Their production runs are "hundreds" and up.
Don't know what this new company intends regarding quantity, but I'd
certainly take it slow until I found out what the demand was - and
price the product so the break-even point was around 100 kits and I
could stay in business.

Personally, I think it's great that there's a market for more
expensive, limited run resin kits like these N&W offerings and Jon
Cagle's SC&F Harriman head end cars.

Tom Madden

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Walt Lankenau asked:
Which, and whose, N&W boxcars?

Pocahontas Models LLC HO scale kits of N&W Class B-4/4A 50' double
door boxcars. See Post #35068, October 20, 6:21 PM.

Ben Hom

BuyGone Treasures <buygone@...>

All:

I think that both Ted and Tom responded to this subject very nicely and I
wholeheartedly agree with them. I guess my point is this If you feel that a
given kit is over your budget that's fine, but we don't need to hear about.
There are more that a few of us that are delighted to get kits like this at
this price.

Lets keep the discussion to the kit not the price. The market will
determine if it is to high or in the ball park.

Paul C. Koehler

[...]

Tim O'Connor

I just saw the notice for the new N&W boxcars ... too expensive
for me to even look at. At $45 for [a kit] the resin market gone
too far. This is $10 more then Westerfield and Sunshine.
As Tom Madden said, it depends on the production volume, and as Ted
implied, if etchings are included the value of the kit increases. The
resin market makes unique models available to us that we'd probably
never get from mass production. As far as I know Al Westerfield is
the only person who actually earns enough to live on! Martin has his
military retirement, and the smaller vendors all have other careers
and produce kits on the side. Ain't nobody getting rich from kits!
I will definitely get one of the N&W cars because they are distinctly
different looking than other freight cars. But then I put a high
value on variety.

Tim O'Connor
Sterling Massachusetts

P.S. Ok I'm calmer now... THE BAMBINO IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE SOX!

armprem

Where Can I get a list of all of their offerings?A.Premo

--- In STMFC@..., "cf5250" <timboconnor@c...> wrote:
As far as I know Al Westerfield is
the only person who actually earns enough to live on! Martin has
his
military retirement, and the smaller vendors all have other careers
and produce kits on the side. Ain't nobody getting rich from kits!
That's for sure! That's why I respect any manufacturer who
approaches resin kit production as a business, and not as merely an
extension of their hobby. We need the latter, but the charm of resin
pouring fades away along about the 45th casting, and you need a
business focus to keep with it.

P.S. Ok I'm calmer now... THE BAMBINO IS DEAD!
Yes. August 16, 1948. I remember that day very well - it was the
first time I saw my father, 44 years old and a life-long Yankee fan,
cry.

LONG LIVE THE SOX!
Where were you when Harry Aggannis died, Tim? June '55, and all of
Boston mourned. I was taking summer courses at BU and going to as
many games at Fenway as I could. (I was staying at the BU "dorm" on
Kenmore Square and could see the back of the Green Monster from my
window.)

Sorry for the enthusiasm, Mike. Can't imagine how you must feel,
living in a state with no professional sports teams this year! :-)

Tom Madden

BuyGone Treasures <buygone@...>

Tom:

That last statement was cold very cold, but true.

Paul C. Koehler

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9MtolB/TM

Bob Webber <zephyr1@...>

Sorry for the enthusiasm, Mike. Can't imagine how you must feel, living in a
state with no professional sports teams this year! :-)
Tom Madden
Aren't the Hurricanes still playing football?

re: Resin casting & costs, I wonder really if anyone has thought about the actual costs inherent in a short run of cars - the time spent in research, the construction of the master and the molds, etc. I would bet that the actual per hour wage is extremely low - and, it is obviously more expedient for "you" to purchase the kit than to scratchbuild the car your self. So, I suppose by saying something is too rich, what must be said is that the kit has reached the point of either you don't want the prototype at all or you now think that the cost of your time to create the car as a scratchbuilt project is worthwhile. Which is what the free market is all about. But I can't help thinking that it is still a bargain at the price considering the costs involved...