NYC Express Box Cars (Long)

Ron Boham <spnut@...>

I need some help on a starting point to build a couple of NYC express cars which were converted from USRA steel side rebuilds.

The cars are pictured on page 24 of RPC Volume 6. Shown are numbers 100998 and 100994, from a group rebuilt 1936-1937, with ten cars pulled and converted to express box cars 100990-100999 in 1940. I don't know the original NYC numbers, but they were rebuilt from Lot 363B, built June 1917.

The cars are 40' 6" IL, 9' 2" IW, and 10' 0" IH, four panels to either side of what is probably a six-foot door, with the characteristic USRA deep fishbelly underframe, 7-7-1 reverse-indent ends. Brakes have been converted to AB retaining the vertical hand brake shaft, with steam and signal lines and high speed trucks added for express service. No ladders on either side or ends, all grab irons, and roof style/manufacturer and roof walk material is unknown.

As I said when I began, I want to build two of these, but the further I go, the further I seem to get from my objective. The ends are a real problem--I don't know of any way to have such a weird end than to carve them or cast them. I thought I could make a start from the Tichy 4028D kit for a NYC USRA rebuild, but it is a different car: height is barely ten feet overall, much less inside, and the underframe is completely different. I looked at stealing the fishbelly underframe from a different Tichy kit, or, substituting an Accurail USRA underframe, but heavy modification would be required either way--there are too many other reasons not to start with the Tichy box.

I searched the model magazine index for a drawing or construction article, but all I found were for different cars. There were a couple articles from Prototype Modeler I was unable to look at, issues I don't have, but I couldn't find much information anywhere. I checked the NYC Historical Society web site, which is not long on information, at least for a non-member like myself.

I am now to the point I would buy a kit if someone will tell me Westerfield or Sunshine make one--hell, I'd buy r-t-r from Marklin or Lionel, if it were of the correct car. Since I don't expect an affirmative answer, can anyone cite a source for a drawing, so I don't have to guess/extrapolate measurements, and to remove an excuse not to scratchbuild one? How about the paint and lettering colors, even though I'm a long way from getting ready to paint?

Any help or directions to better reference sources will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron Boham
Ralston, NE

Andy Cich <ajc5150@...>

Ron,

You are in luck. Sunshine makes this car, Kit #64.3.

Andy Cich

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Nov 7, 2004, at 9:26 PM, Ron Boham wrote:

I need some help on a starting point to build a couple of NYC express cars which were converted from USRA steel side rebuilds.
As Andy already indicated, Sunshine makes the kit. However, they were not from USRA box cars. They were rebuilds of '1916' double sheathed auto cars (Westerfield makes kits for these original cars.) They were renumbered from Lot 664-B and equipped with Symington high speed trucks. Lot 664-B was rebuilt into steel cars from the original auto cars in 1936-7 from cars in Lots 327-9, 352, 357-8, 361, 363-6.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Ron Boham <spnut@...>

Thanks, Andy and Ted. That simplifies things a lot. I found the car on Jim Haynes' master list on the STMFC web site, but not the address for Sunshine. I know from being on the list Martin has no web site, one just sends a check or money order and waits for the kits to come. What is his address, and what does he charge for shipping?

Thanks again,

Ron Boham
Ralston, NE

On Nov 8, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Ron Boham wrote:

Thanks, Andy and Ted.  That simplifies things a lot.  I found the car
on Jim Haynes' master list on the STMFC web site, but not the address
for Sunshine.  I know from being on the list Martin has no web site,
one just sends a check or money order and waits for the kits to come.
What is his address, and what does he charge for shipping?
Ron:

Try this address for more info:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/new%20products/sunshine/
rebuildsmain.html

It contains all of the info on ordering.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@...>

Andy,

What is the Sunshine part # and were can I purchase one?

John

You are in luck. Sunshine makes this car, Kit #64.3.

Andy Cich

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129n1v9fu/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1705169725:HM/EXP=1099979057/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http:/promo
tions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2376776/rand=412248144>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

John Bartolotto asked:
"What is the Sunshine part # and were can I purchase one?"

John, Andy already gave you the part number in his post - it's kit
#64.3. As Ted posted earlier, full information on this kit is at
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/new%
20products/sunshine/rebuildsmain.html

Order directly from Sunshine Models at:
Sunshine Models
PO Box 4997
Springfield MO 65808-4997
NO E-MAIL

Add $4 shipping per five kits in the US. Kits are cast and boxed to
meet your order. Rates differ for shipping overseas (I can look up
the international rate after I get home from work this evening if
you need it.) Kits are cast to order. IT MAY REQUIRE 4 TO 8 WEEKS
TO FILL YOUR ORDER.

Ben Hom

John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@...>

Thanks Ben. Must have missed that info.

#64.3. As Ted posted earlier, full information on this kit is at
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/new%
<http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/new%25>
20products/sunshine/rebuildsmain.html

Order directly from Sunshine Models at:
Sunshine Models
PO Box 4997
Springfield MO 65808-4997
NO E-MAIL

Add $4 shipping per five kits in the US. Kits are cast and boxed to
meet your order. Rates differ for shipping overseas (I can look up
the international rate after I get home from work this evening if
you need it.) Kits are cast to order. IT MAY REQUIRE 4 TO 8 WEEKS
TO FILL YOUR ORDER.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129oq0csf/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr