A-50-4 Reporting Marks was:Trix cars

Michael Aufderheide

Hello Group,

The discussion of the A-50's reminded me of a question
I've been meaning to ask. I've built a Westerfield
A-50-4 which I had intended to letter for GTW. The
excellent data sheet pointed out that GTW leased these
cars from UP subsidary OSL during WWII, but it was
unclear when, if ever these went back to OSL or UP.
The cars did not appear in ORER data for GTW. Given
that this kit and its data sheet have been out a
while, I thought it would be prudent to ask if any
more information had come to light on these cars. The
date is important because I model '47-48.

Thanks

Mike Aufderheide

http://my.yahoo.com

Ian Cranstone

On 16-Dec-04, at 1:02 PM, Mike Aufderheide wrote:

The discussion of the A-50's reminded me of a question
I've been meaning to ask. I've built a Westerfield
A-50-4 which I had intended to letter for GTW. The
excellent data sheet pointed out that GTW leased these
cars from UP subsidary OSL during WWII, but it was
unclear when, if ever these went back to OSL or UP.
The cars did not appear in ORER data for GTW. Given
that this kit and its data sheet have been out a
while, I thought it would be prudent to ask if any
more information had come to light on these cars. The
date is important because I model '47-48.
If these are the cars I think you're referring to (former UP 160001-160600 & LA&SL 14001-14200), they did appear in GTW listings.

384 cars from the UP 160001-160600 became GTW 160001-160600 in 1937-38, and a few more followed in 1940-41 to make a total of 427. By 1947-48 their numbers were down to less than 100 cars with the final cars disappearing in mid-1949.

At the same time, 109 cars from the LA&SL 14001-14200 series became GTW 169000-169198, again with additional cars following in 1940-41 for a total of 156. By the beginning of 1947 65 cars remained in service, with the final cars disappearing in mid-1949.

Given that there was a gradual disappearance of cars from both series (rather than an abrupt disappearance), I'm inclined to think that these cars were simply retired and not returned.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

Michael Aufderheide

Ian,

Thank you for the information. That is a lot of
"light" to shed.

Regards,

Mike

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com