1942-42 color Yard photos (Jack Delano)

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

Folks,

Many of you are probably aware of this resource, but I was reminded
just this week of how wonderful it is. That is the collection of Jack
Delano photos in the Library of Congress. In particular, there are a
series of color photos from the WWII era that are wonderful examples of
the color and weathering patterns of cars of this era. The sea of
brown/red, with a few yellow/orange reefers, and just a couple of white
cars is a remarkable confirmation of what we expect in this era.

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34800/1a34810v.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34800/1a34811v.jpg
C. M. St. P. & P. R.R., general view of part of the yard, Bensenville,
Ill., 1943 May

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34600/1a34660v.jpg
General view of part of the Proviso yard of the Chicago and
Northwestern railroad, Chicago, Ill., 1943 April or May - note the C&NW
explosives cars with the "X" on the doors in the second row, and the
PRR X29 a number of rows back coupled to the NP SS autocar.

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34700/1a34787v.jpg
llinois Central R.R., freight cars at the South Water Street freight
terminal, Chicago, Ill., 1943 April - note car in front (B&O M-26?)

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34600/1a34632v.jpg -
WEOX (red?) 2 dome tank car
Proviso (?) yard, C & N RR., Chicago, Ill., 1942 Dec.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
Many of you are probably aware of this resource, but I was reminded
just this week of how wonderful it is. That is the collection of Jack
Delano photos in the Library of Congress. In particular, there are a
series of color photos from the WWII era that are wonderful examples of
the color and weathering patterns of cars of this era. The sea of
brown/red, with a few yellow/orange reefers, and just a couple of white
cars is a remarkable confirmation of what we expect in this era.
These photos also give the lie to those modelers who complain that heavily weathered freight car models from the steam era, such as the excellent ones Richard Hendrickson produces, are "overdone."

Publishers of books on railroad history

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@v...> directed us
to some fantastic Jack Delano photos.

Bruce, Thanks for the leads. I've floundered around that web site
for hours without finding anything. What seach method did you use?

Ed

Richard Hendrickson

Great stuff, Bruce.

And yes, WEOX 264 was painted red under all that grime; cleaning and
repainting qualified as deferred maintenance during WW II. It's a GATC 6K
gal. two compartment car.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

We are most fortunate that Jack Delano took the photos Bruce references in addition to many more...some that were published in The Iron Horse At War and The Decade Of The Trains The 1940s.,

The second reference:

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/fsac/1a34000/1a34600/1a34660v.jpg

is, perhaps, my favorite RR yard photo and it appeared on the cover of the May 1992 MM. This photo reveals so much color and weathering info that a complete course on the subject could be produced using it alone. Note the differences in color variations produced by dirt and weathering on cars painted with the same paint. Note that the roof of 15334 and the cars on the same track are very similar but the side and end of 15334 is very much cleaner looking. Newly painted or washed? They didn't paint or wash the roof? Or did the roof get dirtier more quickly. Note also that these are insulated box cars...not done in resin yet AFAIK.

Although the book, The Decade Of The Trains, also indicates that the "X" means explosives, that appears to be in error. Apparently the "X" meant that cars so lettered were allowed to service the Merchandise Mart in Chicago because of their low height [ see the associated article in the '92 MM by Keith Jordan ].

Anyhow...neat shots. Wouldn't you love to be able to walk through the picture frame and look around?...assuming it was a two way frame.

Mike Brock

Bruce Smith <smithbf@...>

On Dec 17, 2004, at 2:11 PM, ed_mines wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@v...> directed us
to some fantastic Jack Delano photos.

Bruce, Thanks for the leads. I've floundered around that web site
for hours without finding anything. What seach method did you use?
Hi Ed,

I went to http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html and searched Delano in
the Creator field. I then clicked at Preview Images, and scanned them
all <G> It helps to have a T1 line!

-Bruce

Andy Laurent <arlaurent@...>

I searched for > Jack Delano railroad < at http://memory.loc.gov and
came up with about 2200 b&w and color images.

Search > Wellington, Kansas gun < for images of a huge naval gun
moving through Kansas. I think this topic was discussed a few months
back...There are three photos of the gun straddling 3 flats, one
PRR, one D&H.

Search for > Dahinda < to see a series of 5 images showing two
helium tank cars. They appeared to seperate on a train, thus worthy
of the photos.

There are some great shots of cars in the b&w images, but they are
of lower resolution than the color shots. BAR truss rod boxcar, lots
of herald closups...

Andy

I went to http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html and searched Delano
in
the Creator field. I then clicked at Preview Images, and scanned
them
all <G> It helps to have a T1 line!

-Bruce

Thomas Baker

I had no idea that Delano got all over Chicago, or so the variety of shots would suggest. Are all Delano's subjects railroad locations? Whoever remarked about the weathering hit the proverbial nail on the head. I was quite interested in the Milwaukee Road refrigerator cars leased from URTX. The cars appear to be wood-sheathed cars, and some appear to have metal roofs. The color of the sides appears to be a yellowish orange, but the roofs--even on what appear to be repainted cars--are black, not oxide red. The lettering on the left side of the refrigerator cars gives the full name of the leasor, Union Refrigerator Transit Lines. Wonder when the full name was dropped and URTX went to straight gothic lettering for the reporting marks rather than the serif lettering on the cars in the shot.

Tom

Richard Hendrickson

Tom Baker writes:

...I was quite interested in the Milwaukee Road refrigerator cars leased
from URTX. The cars appear to be wood-sheathed cars, and some appear to
have metal roofs. The color of the sides appears to be a yellowish
orange, but the roofs--even on what appear to be repainted cars--are
black, not oxide red.
An interesting observation, Tom. They certainly look black in Delano's
photos, but the documentation I have - including other color photos - shows
them to be mineral red. Maybe they're just dirty; roofs got grimy very
quickly in the steam era.

The lettering on the left side of the refrigerator cars gives the full
name of the leasor, Union Refrigerator Transit Lines. Wonder when the
full name was dropped and URTX went to straight gothic lettering for the
reporting marks rather than the serif lettering on the cars in the shot.
ca. 1945.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

My information on the cars is that after the take-over of URT by GAT, cars when repainted were done in GAT colors, orange sides and black roof and ends. Certainly the MILW leased cars in the 1940s were those colors. - Al Westerfield

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Tom Baker wrote:
"I had no idea that Delano got all over Chicago, or so the variety of shots
would suggest. Are all Delano's subjects railroad locations?"

No, but fortunately for rail historians, the work of Jack Delano and the
other photographers working for the Farm Security Administration and Office
of War Information did document quite a bit of the railroad scene during the
1930s and 1940s. For the full story behind the Library of Congress FSA-OWI
collection, go to
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsowhome.html

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

My information on the cars is that after the take-over of URT by GAT, cars
when repainted were done in GAT colors, orange sides and black roof and
ends. Certainly the MILW leased cars in the 1940s were those colors. - Al
Westerfield
Al, that's interesting, and makes sense, and seems to be validated by the
Delano photos. However, I have one color shot of a URTX Milw. wood reefer
(with wood roof) dated 1946 with postwar lettering in which the roof and
ends are unmistakably mineral red. I wonder if the change coincided with
the adoption of the new, simpler sans-serif lettering scheme?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Richard - When I visited GAT years ago they gave me the name of an retired employee who actually painted the cars. I called him. That's the source of my info. Of course, we all know how good memory is plus how rigorously painting specs are followed. - Al Westerfield
Al, that's interesting, and makes sense, and seems to be validated by the
Delano photos. However, I have one color shot of a URTX Milw. wood reefer
(with wood roof) dated 1946 with postwar lettering in which the roof and
ends are unmistakably mineral red. I wonder if the change coincided with
the adoption of the new, simpler sans-serif lettering scheme?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Al Westerfield reports-

My information on the cars is that after the take-over of URT by GAT, cars when repainted were done in GAT colors, orange sides and black roof and ends. Certainly the MILW leased cars in the 1940s were those colors.
This seems to be correct.

John Greedy, the ranking expert on the Milwaukee reefers, monitors this list when he can. Perhaps he will chime in.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California