Dates K brakes and Andrews trucks banned from interchange

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

What were the dates that K brakes and Andrews trucks were banned from
interchange?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

Richard Hendrickson

Mark Heiden asks

What were the dates that K brakes and Andrews trucks were banned from
interchange?
August 1, 1953 for K brakes. Andrews and Vulcan trucks with separate
journal boxes were still legal in the late 1950s; I'm not sure what the
exact date was when they were prohibited in interchange.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

hmeisser <h.meisser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

What were the dates that K brakes and Andrews trucks were banned
from
interchange?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden
I have some notes on various "events" which include:
1926; Type AB brake ystems begin testing.
9/1/33; Type K brakes no longer allowed on new cars.
1953; Type K brakes no longer allowed on cars in interchange
(initially 1/1/45, but set back).
1910; Bettendorf T-section trucks introduced.
1920; ARA standard for Bettendorf-style U-section trucks established.
1930; Arch bar trucks banned for new cars.
1941; Arch bar trucks banned for interchange (initially 1936, then
1939, then 1941).

Hope this helps.
Hugo Meisser

Guy Wilber

Hugo wrote:

I have some notes on various "events" which include:

1) 1926; Type AB brake sytems begin testing.

The ARA began the brake tests in 1925 at Purdue's Test Lab. The use of the
terminology "AB" was not used until the WESTINGHOUSE FC-3a design was fully
developed, tested and approved for application during 1932.

2) 1953; Type K brakes no longer allowed on cars in interchange (initially
1/1/45, but set back).

Specifically, July 1, 1953, for all cars (in interchange) other than tank
cars which received a further extension to October 1, 1953. The AAR's July 1
date included an exemption through October 1, 1953, for all cars being returned
to the owner's rails. These cars were not to be loaded. The same type of
exemption was granted to tank cars through January 1, 1954.

3) 1930; Arch bar trucks banned for new cars.

There was no specific language banning arch bar trucks for new equipment when
ARA Interchange Rule 3 was modified in 1930: Rule 3, Section T, Paragraph 3;
Trucks, with arch bars, prohibited, effective January 1, 1936, under all
cars. From Owners.

4) 1941; Arch bar trucks banned for interchange (initially 1936, then 1939,
then 1941).

Arch Bars were banned (in interchange) on July 1, 1940. There was no further
extension granted past that date.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Earthquake Faults, Nevada
Somewhere on the road tonight

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Guy Wilber wrote:
1) 1926; Type AB brake sytems begin testing.

The ARA began the brake tests in 1925 at Purdue's Test Lab. The use of the
terminology "AB" was not used until the WESTINGHOUSE FC-3a design was fully
developed, tested and approved for application during 1932. . .
Welcome "back," Guy. Long time no read, or something like that. Nice to hear from you, and Happy Holidays.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

season's greetiongs. Godd to hear from you Guy. And I'll add a question:
Wherinell is Earthquake Faults, Nevada? Not to be found on my Nevada map.
(one possible answer, of course, is that earthquake faults are to be found
everywhere in Nevada, so maybe Guy is just pulling our collective legs.)

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520