-----Original Message-----
From: Clark Propst [mailto:cepropst@...]
Here's what I know about the new Intermountain M&StL box
car kits. Marty at IM my not totally agree, but this is my
story and I'm sticking to it.
Marty asked me for numbers for the upcoming models. I
suggested the 54000 series (w/Superior doors) for the bcr
model. The 53000 series cars in bcr had been done by RC a few
years ago. I gave him a group of numbers from the Landmesser
list, from which he picked two.
I didn't want anything to do with the green cars because
the CNWHS had just done a fine model thanks to Gene Green.
Marty said the ends and roof were already painted black.
Because he mistakenly thought his model was the same as the
4000 series box cars. I finally gave him number 53402 because
I have a poor quality image of that car. The car ends are
definitely black, I can't tell if the roof is or not. 53070
is a number of a car Gene once told me he had a color slide
of. I have no idea if there's any black on that car or not. I
do have a slide of a 1000 series aluminum car repainted green
after wreck repairs. That car does have black ends and roof.
Hope this helps,
OK, so, Clark, you're saying here that the green cars are maybe right, could be,
might be and you're certain about that? Is that right? Or are you not quite
sure?

8^)

SGL

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

OK, so, Clark, you're saying here that the green cars are maybe
right, could be,
might be and you're certain about that? Is that right? Or are you
not quite
sure?
SGL
Like I said, I tried to stay out of the repainted green car business.
I only have one, not so good image 53402, I just looked at it again
and zoned in as close as I could. It has black ends, the roof looks
green. You need to paint the metal running board, might as well paint
the roof green while you're at it!
Clark 'too little info' Propst
PS BLT has a green car numbered in the 53000s also, but they used the
blt date ?44, instead of a repaint date ?52. They also have a "Fire
engine red" car with one white stripe to the right of the door. First
time this has been done.

Tim O'Connor

They also have a "Fire engine red" car with one white stripe to
the right of the door. First time this has been done.
IMWX did the bright red cars -- I have numbers 54454, 54616.

Mark Vaughan does lettering for all three M&StL paint schemes -
box car red with white lettering, or yellow lettering, and the
bright red cars. (Sets BB, and T respectively.)

Tim O.

Brett Whelan

Hi Tim and Group

Does Mark Vaughan make decals? and if so, does he do
these in O scale?

Thanks,

Brett Whelan
Australia

Mark Vaughan does lettering for all three M&StL paint
schemes -
box car red with white lettering, or yellow lettering,
and the
bright red cars. (Sets BB, and T respectively.)

http://my.yahoo.com

gene48@...

Nyet. Only HO but you can buy the lettering for this car from CDS and possibly Greg Komar.
Gene Deimling

Hi Tim and Group

Does Mark Vaughan make decals? and if so, does he do
these in O scale?

Thanks,

Brett Whelan
Australia

Mark Vaughan does lettering for all three M&StL paint
schemes -
box car red with white lettering, or yellow lettering,
and the
bright red cars. (Sets BB, and T respectively.)

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

They also have a "Fire engine red" car with one white stripe to
the right of the door. First time this has been done.
I meant the single stripe had not been done before.

IMWX did the bright red cars -- I have numbers 54454, 54616.
Mark Vaughan does lettering for all three M&StL paint schemes -
box car red with white lettering, or yellow lettering,
I'm sure Tim knows that the yellow lettering is for a green car, or
black car with green sides.
Clark Propst

and the
bright red cars. (Sets BB, and T respectively.)

Tim O.

Tim O'Connor

Gene Deimling wrote

... you can buy the lettering for this car from CDS and
possibly Greg Komar.

Greg Komar produces white lettering set for the 1937 AAR
car, and a yellow lettering set for the postwar AAR cars
with 10' inside height (series 4000-5298).

CDS produces a set with yellow lettering circa 1952, but
I don't know whether the data corresponds to the prewar,
or postwar, designs.

Tim O'Connor

Brett Whelan

Thanks Gene Green, Tim, & Gene Deimling,

For your help on this

Brett Whelan
Australia.

--- cf5250 <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Gene Deimling wrote

... you can buy the lettering for this car from
CDS and
possibly Greg Komar.

Greg Komar produces white lettering set for the 1937
AAR
car, and a yellow lettering set for the postwar AAR
cars
with 10' inside height (series 4000-5298).

CDS produces a set with yellow lettering circa 1952,
but
I don't know whether the data corresponds to the
prewar,
or postwar, designs.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Paul Lyons

Bill, I just picked my two kits up at the Whistle Stop this weekend. What are
your thoughts on the "red" color?
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Bill Darnaby

I just got back from Cocoa Beach and have been quickly going through the pile of emails that accumulated so I may have missed something...but I don't think so. I don't believe that I have seen a definitive opinion on whether the BCR paint on the new IM car is correct. Or have I?

Bill Darnaby

Bill Darnaby

By no means am I am expert on the M&StL but the paint is very red and only a shade lighter than the red used on the post 56 ball and stripe scheme. I wouldn't call it BCR or even light oxide red per the B&O and WM. It is much redder than that. But, if the Louie guys say it's right...

Bill Darnaby

Bill, I just picked my two kits up at the Whistle Stop this weekend. What are
your thoughts on the "red" color?
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

Bill,
I picked up two 54s at the local shop, I also visited the shop in Cedar Falls IA this weekend. I would say most opinions are the same as yours..."What's up with the color?" Maybe the IM people found a long lost paint chip? I will be over spraying mine with a bcr color as part of weathering.
When I was emailing Intermountain Marty he kept referring to the cars as red, not bcr as I was referring to them. The local shop guy even referred to them as red. This gets real confusing considering the cars were painted red after 56!
The lettering also looks too large. I will have to get out a stencil drawing and check it out. I do remember that the words in 'The Peoria Gateway' slogan were all different size letters.
Thanks to everyone for patronizing the M&StL.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Bill Darnaby

Thanks for the input. You're correct...heavy weathering is an option.

Bill Darnaby