BUILDING CRAFTSMAN KITS

tyesac@...

In a message dated 1/8/2005 10:01:55 AM Central Standard Time,
cjwyatt@... writes:
<<Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank>>

Frank,

A good place to start would be to go to Westerfield's site,
http://www.westerfield.biz , and order a one-piece body kit, along with a
"how-to" video at a discounted price with the kit.

Jack Wyatt
Frank,

Jack's suggestion is an excellent one, to which I might add consider
something as simple as a flat car kit, Sunshine has several different varieties. They
are simple cars but sill involve getting used to the common elements of
building one of these type of cars.

Tom C

ponef0 <fje63@...>

Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank

C J Wyatt

<<Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank>>

Frank,

A good place to start would be to go to Westerfield's site,
http://www.westerfield.biz , and order a one-piece body kit, along with a
"how-to" video at a discounted price with the kit.

Jack Wyatt

Brian Carlson

Frank, as a followup to Jack's message, a good Westerfield one piece body kit to start with is a model of the PRR G22 gondola car. It was the first one I built and went together real easy.

Brian Carlson

Jack Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
<<Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank>>

Frank,

A good place to start would be to go to Westerfield's site,
http://www.westerfield.biz , and order a one-piece body kit, along with a
"how-to" video at a discounted price with the kit.

Jack Wyatt

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

C J Wyatt

<<Frank,

Jack's suggestion is an excellent one, to which I might add consider
something as simple as a flat car kit, Sunshine has several different
varieties. They
are simple cars but sill involve getting used to the common elements of
building one of these type of cars.

Tom C>>

Unfortunately it takes about 4 months to receive a mail order kit from
Sunshine. You definitely have to plan ahead with your Sunshine projects
unless you are fortunate enough to catch Martin at a show.

Jack Wyatt

Paul Lyons

A hair dryer on low heat and a little patience twisting and turning with ones
fingers.
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

I have a one-piece G22 with a warped body (longitudinal twist - about
3/16" end to end). I know how to straighten flat parts; how does one
straighten bodies without flattening them?

Doug Brown

Jack Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
<<Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank>>

Frank,

A good place to start would be to go to Westerfield's site,
http://www.westerfield.biz , and order a one-piece body kit, along with
"how-to" video at a discounted price with the kit.

Jack Wyatt

Tim O'Connor

I have a one-piece G22 with a warped body (longitudinal twist - about
3/16" end to end). I know how to straighten flat parts; how does one
straighten bodies without flattening them?
Doug Brown
I straightened out an F&C gondola body by placing it on a flat piece
of glass with heavy weights on top and heating it to 150 degrees in
the oven and then letting it cool slowly. I was told you can heat the
bodies in water and get good results but I've never tried it. The F&C
castings were thick and I don't know if this will work with thinner,
closer to scale gondola bodies.

Tim O.

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

If you've built wooden kits, you're in good shape for building a
resin kit. Just substitute ACC for "Goo" and throw away your bottle
of sanding sealer!

Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@..., "ponef0" <fje63@e...> wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good primer on building the newer resin or
urethane kits? Any suggestions for an easy first kit? I haven't
built anything for quite a while and am more familiar with the
older
wood ones.

Thanks,

Frank

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Sorry for the delayed reply. You may be able to just twist the body in the opposite direction; that's what I always try first. Never put weights on it in the oven - it will collapse. Just put it upside down on a sheet of glass in the oven. The body should sag flat. Take it out and place it on a col, flat surface, holding it in position until it is no longer soft. - Al Westerfield

>I have a one-piece G22 with a warped body (longitudinal twist - about
>3/16" end to end). I know how to straighten flat parts; how does one
>straighten bodies without flattening them?
>Doug Brown

John Van Buekenhout <jvanbu1347@...>

Approximately how long? I recognize that there are many different microwaves so what is the time, say for a 700W or a 1,000W unit? Many thanks for you have solved a major problem.
Jack
jvanbu1347@...

Sorry for the delayed reply. You may be able to just twist the body in the opposite direction; that's what I always try first. Never put weights on it in the oven - it will collapse. Just put it upside down on a sheet of glass in the oven. The body should sag flat. Take it out and place it on a col, flat surface, holding it in position until it is no longer soft. - Al Westerfield
>I have a one-piece G22 with a warped body (longitudinal twist - about
>3/16" end to end). I know how to straighten flat parts; how does one
>straighten bodies without flattening them?
>Doug Brown

Paul Lyons

Al, I agree with you! We are trying to make this way to complicated. Getting
control of an ordnary kitchen oven so you have an accuracte 150 degree reading
is not exactly rocket science. I bake almost ALL my flat resin kit pieces
before assembly because very few are TOTALLY flat. It makes assembly a lot easier
and if you have control of the oven it is not a big deal.
Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

I have an oven that I use to cure the castings that never gets above about 150 degrees, so I just leave the casting in until I remember it's there. Normally about 15 minutes is right. I wouldn't microwave it. - Al

Approximately how long? I recognize that there are many different microwaves so what is the time, say for a 700W or a 1,000W unit? Many thanks for you have solved a major problem.
Jack

John Van Buekenhout <jvanbu1347@...>

Thank you these sage words. I can program our oven to hold 150 degrees for 15 minutes. I assume that one places the twisted piece on a piece of plate glass in the oven. Once again, many thanks.
Jack

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Jan 15, 2005, at 8:09 AM, John Van Buekenhout wrote:

Thank you these sage words.  I can program our oven to hold 150
degrees for 15 minutes.  I assume that one places the twisted piece on
a piece of plate glass in the oven.  Once again, many thanks.
Jack:

You need to use a thermometer to verify that 150 degrees on your oven
is actually 150 degrees. Others have assumed and suffered deformed
castings because "150" was actually something higher.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402