From the list that I am working on to be posted to the STMFC files and Ted Culotta's web site, DI is the symbol for Owosso, WI used before 1960. This is based on extensive information supplied by Richard Hendrickson. It is the only Ann Arbor symbol that I know about.

There are still a few gaps in this list; however, it is about as complete as we are going to get for now. I plan to upload the file after speaking with Mike Brock.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

----- Original Message -----
From: "parkvarieties" <parkvarieties@provide.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 10:09 AM
Subject: [STMFC] AA Weight Station Symbols

Can any listmember advise me of the weigh station symbols used by
the Ann Arbor Railroad during the 1950's? Thanks.
Frank Brua

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tim O'Connor

Other post-steam-era symbols on AA box cars: BS SF? CW JK?

Frank,

From the list that I am working on to be posted to the STMFC files and Ted
Culotta's web site, DI is the symbol for Owosso, WI used before 1960. This
is based on extensive information supplied by Richard Hendrickson. It is
the only Ann Arbor symbol that I know about.

There are still a few gaps in this list; however, it is about as complete as
we are going to get for now. I plan to upload the file after speaking with
Mike Brock.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Rob Adams

Frank;

Ann Arbor RR cars during that time would almost universally have worn the "DI" reweigh stencil. On the Ann Arbor, "DI" was the telegraph station symbol for Owosso, Michigan, the site of the road's main shops. Occasionally you might have seen a car with an "XD" reweigh, which would probably indicate that the car had been shopped and rebuilt on the Wabash at Decatur, IL. The Wabash was the AA's parent road from 1925 through 1963. I have heard that cars may also have been re-weighed at Toledo in earlier years, but I have never seen any photographic evidence that this was occuring during the 1940's-50's. If you have questions about specific cars, I may be able to supply you with more info or a scanned photo from the era.

Kind regards, Rob Adams

parkvarieties wrote:

Can any listmember advise me of the weigh station symbols used by
the Ann Arbor Railroad during the 1950's? Thanks.
Frank Brua

Rob Adams

Tim;

The appearance of those would have been way after 1960, and to my knowledge, none of those represent locations on the 292 mile Ann Arbor RR. Perhaps one of you DT&I guys will recognize them, for control of the AA passed to the DT&I in 1963/64. I have seen "OW" used for Owosso in later years, maybe late 70's early 80's during operation by the Michigan Interstate.

Kind regards, Rob Adams

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Other post-steam-era symbols on AA box cars: BS SF? CW JK?

Frank,

From the list that I am working on to be posted to the STMFC files
and Ted