Cocoa Beach

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Another wonderful meeting with a bunch of pretty
fine and generous people- in my mind an
extraordinary aggregation of some of most refined
and knowledgeable modelers in the field.

I even got my good and loyal wife to attend one
clinic (Jim Singer's great collection on the
"Oddities and the Unexpected"), and her
interested response was "I NEVER knew that!".

Mike Brock gives a great deal of himself to this
program, and how he does it all is beyond me. My
good neighbor, and Clinic Major Domo, Jeff Aley
was always "just around the corner" with a good
handle on the needs of the clinics (i.e.
unexpected digital projector failure, or an
instant scheduling of a repeat performance for an
oversubscribed clinic). I often wonder how many
of the clinics HE actually gets to see and listen
to.

The great plus that this meeting has is that it
seems to attract only immensely friendly and
serious modelers who are willing to "leave their
egos at the door" (Mike's good phrase), and
critically think about our hobby. That the meet attracts repeat personal attendance by some of
our very best suppliers speaks volumes. I observe
them they carefully listening to the comments of
some of the most critical modelers that I know.

Debauchery was not up to standard.

A leisurely Sunday morning couples breakfast with
the Mont Switzers, the Chet Frenchs, and the John
Greenes was a personal highlight. This was
despite the ribald catcalls of a group from this
list at the next table, who because the requisite
number of them refused to don dresses or be in
drag, were denied joining our company.

A suggestion that I have made to Mike for the
future is that the model table displays be
somehow elevated to a higher elevation so that
the large number of us present (of a certain age)
can more easily and effectively inspect the large
number of incredible models on display at
something approaching eye level. Not easy. If
others have ideas how this can simply and
inexpensively be done with standard tables, I am
sure Mike would like to hear from you.

In return for my good wife tolerating letting me
go whole hog for two days dawn to midnite (while
she relaxed with a book poolside in the 80ยบ
sun), I gave her my undivided attention in New
Orleans the following week, during which time not
a word was uttered about railroads or modeling
(except for the necessary conversations leading
up to multiple streetcar rides!).

Anyway, wonderful meeting. Fine company. Learned a lot.

Denny

The Clinics were almost all excellent.

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California

jaley <jaley@...>

On Jan 16, 1:21pm, Denny Anspach wrote:
Subject: [STMFC] Cocoa Beach

My
good neighbor, and Clinic Major Domo, Jeff Aley
was always "just around the corner" with a good
handle on the needs of the clinics (i.e.
unexpected digital projector failure, or an
instant scheduling of a repeat performance for an
oversubscribed clinic). I often wonder how many
of the clinics HE actually gets to see and listen
to.
Denny,

Thanks for your kind words. In answer to your question, I did
manage to get to a few clinics, though a few were so popular that I
couldn't get in.

I saw (and learned from) Andy Harman's clinic on building
Branchline passenger cars, Joe Oates' clinic on passenger car underbody
details, and Stan Rydarowicz's clinic on passenger car detailing and
kitbashing.
I also learned a lot at Bill Darnaby's clinic on Timetable /
Train-Order operations and at Mont Switzer's clinic on kit-building tips.
I tried to attend Steve Funaro's clinic on resin kits, but it was already
Standing Room Only 5 minutes before it started!

As Clinic Chairman, I was able to get a copy of Scott Chatfield's
excellent and humorous "Bad Bridges and the Modelers Who Love Them", which
showed common mistakes we make on model bridges, and how to do it RIGHT.

Of course, the best part of the meet was MEETING people. In
addition to seeing some old friends, I met some new folks and learned a
lot from them.

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
Debauchery was not up to standard.
Quite true. The extremely lame temporary bar arrangement was doubtless partly responsible for our collective failure in this area.

A suggestion that I have made to Mike for the
future is that the model table displays be
somehow elevated to a higher elevation so that
the large number of us present (of a certain age)
can more easily and effectively inspect the large
number of incredible models on display at
something approaching eye level. Not easy. If
others have ideas how this can simply and
inexpensively be done with standard tables, I am
sure Mike would like to hear from you.
As I've said before, most hotels have "dais" platforms which are table size and shape, and are grouped to provide a raised "head table" at banquets. These are great for model tables, as they are around a foot to 18 inches high--just put one under each table. The only problem is to persuade the hotel that you really want this arrangement, which understandably they regard as demented.

Publishers of books on railroad history

jaley <jaley@...>

On Jan 17, 3:49pm, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Cocoa Beach

Denny Anspach wrote:
Debauchery was not up to standard.
Quite true. The extremely lame temporary bar arrangement was
doubtless partly responsible for our collective failure in this area.
While this is true, I hasten to point out that the bar was
sub-standard because it was a temporary set-up caused by the hurricanes
that damaged the hotel last year. By the time we return for Prototype
Rails '06, we will have a REAL bar available. I call upon Drs. Anspach
and Thompson to take the inititive to exceed our previous standards for
debauchery.

As I've said before, most hotels have "dais" platforms which are
table size and shape, and are grouped to provide a raised "head table"
at banquets. These are great for model tables, as they are around a
foot to 18 inches high--just put one under each table. The only problem
is to persuade the hotel that you really want this arrangement, which
understandably they regard as demented.
This is a good suggestion. This year, however, the hotel had trouble
coming up with the dais platform that we used for the panel discussion (on
operations). I hope Marty McGreggian (sp?), the Prototype Rails Ballroom
Boss, will take note of this suggestion for next year.

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering
Intel Corporation, Folsom, CA
(916) 356-3533

Schuyler Larrabee

Denny Anspach:

that the model
table displays be somehow elevated to a higher elevation so
that the
large number of us present (of a certain age) can more easily and
effectively inspect the large number of incredible models
on display
at something approaching eye level.
The Western Prototype Modelers meeting had the problem solved with some plastic
pipe extensions, which fit over the bottom of the folding legs of the tables. I
will find out more.

SGL

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Schuyler Larrabee says:

"The Western Prototype Modelers meeting had the problem solved with some plastic
pipe extensions, which fit over the bottom of the folding legs of the tables. I
will find out more."

I did note that Bethlehem Car Works used such devices to elevate their display this yr. It IS something we should consider. The problem is...there are literally hundreds of other things to consider during preparations for the meet.
I have to laugh. Mike Rose asked me about a manufacturer that was here last yr. I said, "Well, I've never met him." Mike responded..."Odd, I have a photo of you talking with him in your house." That should give you some idea of the state of my mental health during a meet and why we may let something fall through the "crack".

Incidentally, I just signed the contract for next yr. It includes two newly built clinic rooms giving us 5 legitimate rooms...all on the ground floor. Yes, the new bar will be ready as well as completely new restaurant facilities.

Now all we need are the 60 ft Harriman baggage cars from SC&F and the 2 new frt cars he has promised. Heelllooooo Jon. Actually, for those that missed this yr's event, a preproduction Harriman car was there for viewing. Looked quite nice. I want 5.

Mike Brock

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jeff Aley wrote:
While this is true, I hasten to point out that the bar was
sub-standard because it was a temporary set-up caused by the hurricanes
that damaged the hotel last year. By the time we return for Prototype
Rails '06, we will have a REAL bar available. I call upon Drs. Anspach
and Thompson to take the inititive to exceed our previous standards for
debauchery.
Challenge accepted. I did not mean to imply other than the facts as stated by Jeff, namely the ongoing reconstruction and repair of the hotel. I hope, in fact, that the NEW bar will be far superior to the OLD bar, which was, let us be tactful, lame also.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Tony Thompson says, with regard to the bar where many important steam era frt car [ frt car content, of course ] issues are commonly settled:

I hope, in fact, that the NEW bar will be far superior to the
OLD bar, which was, let us be tactful, lame also."

Ah ha. Tony no doubt refers to the absence of multitudes of folk appearing even more unsavory than Pennsy [ or other unnamed northeastern railroads ] modelers who for no known reason suddenly come to their feet bellowing out..."War Eagle!!!" or "Roll Tide!!!" Certainly we will not allow such behavior at such a class gathering as Prototype Rails. Instead...hopefully next yr...I'll have many of my own tribe jump to THEIR feet upon command and ring out with several versions of "Rocky Top" as in..."How bout them Vols!!"
Mike Brock

Richard Hendrickson

Mike Brock sez:

Ah ha. Tony no doubt refers to the absence of multitudes of folk
appearing even more unsavory than Pennsy [ or other unnamed northeastern
railroads ] modelers who for no known reason suddenly come to their feet
bellowing out..."War Eagle!!!" or "Roll Tide!!!" Certainly we will not
allow such behavior at such a class gathering as Prototype Rails.
Instead...hopefully next yr...I'll have many of my own tribe jump to THEIR
feet upon command and ring out with several versions of "Rocky Top" as
in..."How bout them Vols!!"
Please, Mike, let's not go there. The sports bar scene is an American male
tribal ritual we can well do without. Forget football and bring on the
dancing girls.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

George A. Walls

I don't think Richard has ever been in attendance at the "World's
Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" sometimes refered to as the Gator
Bowl. All entertainment included.

George A. Walls
"How 'Bout Them Dogs"

In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson .."How bout them