Library of Congress ORER Holdings

artrich999@...

Richard;
The ORER began sometimes in the late 1800s. Westerfield has some
editions going back at least to the turn of the last century on CDs. I have purchased
copies of his CDs for 1900 and 1905 and they have been very helpful.

---
Art Richardson
Clinton, MS

Richard Townsend

Last time I was at the Library of Congress I was looking for early ORERs. The catalog said they only went back to 1948. Was it know by some other name, or is the LOC holding incomplete?
--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Schuyler Larrabee

It's incomplete. My earliest one, and I know it's not the first, is 1901.

SGL

Last time I was at the Library of Congress I was looking for
early ORERs. The catalog said they only went back to 1948.
Was it know by some other name, or is the LOC holding incomplete?
--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

CBarkan@...

The LOC ORER collection is incomplete and 1948 sounds about right for their
collection. A virtually complete collection was in the ICC library.
Unfortunately, their entire collection (which includes other materials dating back to
the 1830s) sits outside in a container somewhere near Denver. No telling what
condition it will be in if and when the U of Denver ever decides to actually
add it to their library which was the agreement by which they received the
collection in the first place. I recall others in the past saying there were
pretty good holdings of ORERs in the New York Public library (on-line catalogue I
think) and a few other libraries and museums around the country. Since you
are in Oregon, perhaps someone can chime in regarding left coast locations (Cal.
Rwy Museum?).

Chris

In a message dated 1/22/05 8:54:39 PM, richtownsend@... writes:

<< Last time I was at the Library of Congress I was looking for early ORERs.
The catalog said they only went back to 1948. Was it know by some other
name, or is the LOC holding incomplete?

--

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, Oregon>>

Jeff English

--- In STMFC@..., CBarkan@a... wrote:

<snip>
I recall others in the past saying there were
pretty good holdings of ORERs in the New York Public library (on-
line catalogue I
think)
<snip>

Last I knew the NYPL holdings were <not> catalogued on-line, other
than a single reference to the fact that they have an ORER
collection.

The NYPL's ORER collection is all on microfilm, and of the select
issues I have viewed, the reproduction leaves a lot to be desired.
At least 1% of the data is lost.

The first ORER was c.1885 (it had a somewhat different name then),
but those early editions did not have any where near the amount of
dimensional data found by the early 20th century. NYPL is missing a
couple of dozen early issues, but their collection does have a large
number of 19th century editions. It was published monthly in those
days.

Jeff English
Troy, New York

Richard Hendrickson

Chris BCarkan writes:

I recall others in the past saying there were
pretty good holdings of ORERs in the New York Public library (on-line
catalogue >I think and a few other libraries and museums around the
country. Since you
are in Oregon, perhaps someone can chime in regarding left coast locations
(Cal.Rwy Museum?).
CSRM has extensive, though not complete, ORER holdings, including some
issues before the turn of the 20th C. Stanford has a more complete
collection, which will presumably become readily available on-line if
Goggle's ambitious scheme to digitize the entire Stanford library
materializes.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Townsend

While I am located on the west coast, I get to Washington, DC several times a year (coincidentally around the time of the Timonium swap meets) and almost never get anywhere near Sacramento or Palo Alto. I don't suppose UVA has any old ORERs?

Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

Chris BCarkan writes:

[...]

C J Wyatt

Another ORER collection (not complete, but they have some old ones)
is the Kalmbach Library of the NMRA:

http://www.nmra.org/library/ORER.html

I believe that for a fee they will make copies of pages that you are
interested in and mail them to you.

Jack Wyatt

Ian Cranstone

On 23-Jan-05, at 8:51 AM, englishintroy wrote:

Last I knew the NYPL holdings were <not> catalogued on-line, other
than a single reference to the fact that they have an ORER
collection.
They've obviously updated things, as I was able to find reference to the ORERs (I think their web-based search engine is called CAT-NYP). They're held at their Science & Business branch in Manhattan.

The NYPL's ORER collection is all on microfilm, and of the select
issues I have viewed, the reproduction leaves a lot to be desired.
At least 1% of the data is lost.
Issues up through 1960 are on microfilm -- more recent issues are still extant. I spent some time this past September looking through 1924-1957 issues on microfilm, and came back with a small ream of paper. There will have to be a return trip sometime to finish my work on CN entries from 1918 through 1923. I had hoped to look at some issues post 1960 as well, but just ran out of time.

The microfilm that I saw seemed to be of good quality, but I couldn't say the same thing about the microfilm readers & printers. Some were highly temperamental, and not all worked. Worse, the library staff didn't seem all that knowledgeable about the equipment -- although in fairness I should note that the people at the circulation desk were quite helpful, and their advance reservation service allowed me to reserve a lot more material than they are apparently supposed to.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

Rupert and Maureen <gamlenz@...>

The Strahorn Library - part of IRM at Union - has quite an extensive
collection of ORER's as well as model magazines, railroad books, etc. I
spent a very pleasant day there last year researching CB&Q material.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

In a word, "No." UVA is not very good for train materials. About ten years back we had two ORERS, 1953 and 1957, which I was regularly checking out. Then they were discarded, inspite of their obvious circulation. I found about about two weeks too late to save them.

UVA has a pretty good run of old C&O magazines, a near-complete collection of the COHS magazine, a collection of OFFICIAL GUIDES from the 1930s to the 1950s, a good selection of POOR'S and MOODY'S manuals, 1953 and 1957 CBCs, plus a smattering of miscellaneous books. Some issues of a railway mechanical journal are in deep storage. Boosk and journals are found in both Alderman Library and the Science Library. The rare books library has about 100 pieces of miscellanious correspondence from the Nelson & Albemarle Ry.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff
Alderman Library
Cataloging Dept.