Water for steam

poodles53218

Many logging lines and shortlines simply drafted water right out of
the nearest creek, carrying a long length of suction hose for this
purpose.

The only road I can think of using tank cars (obligatory STMFC
content) to carry water was the Santa Fe, but perhaps there were
others.

Lance Burton

Charles Morrill <badlands@...>

The SP also used MOW tank cars of water behind steam locos sometimes. On both the standard gauge and narrow gauge lines.
Charlie

Subject: [STMFC] RE: Water for steam

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charles Morrill wrote:
The SP also used MOW tank cars of water behind steam locos sometimes. On
both the standard gauge and narrow gauge lines.
But I think those were auxiliary tenders, not shipments to distant water tanks.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Charles Morrill <badlands@...>

Auxiliary tenders is what I meant. Sorry I wasn't more clear. However, the tank cars were also used to ship water on SP trackage for whatever reason (probably to MOW crew locations, etc.). However, my wife relates how one year around 1950 or so the ATSF had to bring in water in tank cars to this town where we now live because of a prolonged severe drought. As a point of non-comfort, the tracks were pulled up a few years ago.
Charlie