From: Jerry [mailto:jrs060@msn.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 12:21 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Wabash to the B&O at Decatur

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:
"Chet French wrote:
While looking for something else, which I did not find, I came upon
list of perishable loads delivered to the B&O from the Wabash at
Decatur, IL, between April 13th and 23rd, 1951 destined to
Indianapolis. Hope it will be of interest to some.

That would make a nice train to model! Most of the cars can
be
done one way or another. The only "ringer" is the canned goods,
since
the NWX car is obviously in use as an insulated box car and would
not
have been iced."

Tony, you are of course correct here about the the NWX car
being used as an "insulated box car", but I wonder if many
people know that it would not have been necessary to use a
refrigerator car for this type of service at the time this
was being done. "Carriers Protective Service" on canned
goods was in force from October 1st. thru April 1st. of any
given year. This of course was done to prevent the freezing
of the goods in temperature swings the car might be subjected
to in transit. Unless the shipper requested a refrigerator
car be supplied for this movement specifically, and the
shipment was made prior to April 1st., he could have used
an ordinary box car. I put this out for everyone as it
may be of help for billing cars on our model railroads.

Regards,

Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.

Yahoo! Groups Links

rberry634 <rberry634@...>

During the summers of 1964, 1965 I worked for the Milwaukee Road in their
freighthouse at Galewood (Chicago). Most of the operation was devoted to
distribution of Montgomery Wards merchandise from railcar to railcar and
railcar to truck trailer.

A couple of college kids got to work the "candy house" which was a separate
operation at the west end of the loading docks. Once the supervisors figured
out you could read and were responsible you became a candidate for that
operation. It was a great job which consisted of loading candy into
westbound refrigerator cars being used as RB insulated cars. They weren't
iced to my knowledge. Points west on the Milwaukee Road and Union Pacific as
well as candy destined for overseas in the Pacific were common. In June and
July, Halloween and Christmas candy for the Phillipines and Viet Nam were
what we loaded for those destinations. US cities were getting anything
Chicago candy makers produced.

URTX reefers, cleaned after bringing produce to the city, were sent back
west with loads of candy. Model a wholesale grocer and spot a load of candy.
Then send the car on to a produce terminal for its trip back east.

Richard H. Berry
Warsaw, Indiana

mcindoefalls

URTX reefers, cleaned after bringing produce to the city, were sent back
west with loads of candy. Model a wholesale grocer and spot a load of candy.
Then send the car on to a produce terminal for its trip back east.
Was this sort of an lcl deal, with several candy makers' products combined on one car for a
consignee, or were they solid loads of one manufacturer's products? Or a little of both?
What candy makers were located in Chicago? (Baby Ruth comes to mind.)

Walt Lankenau

Jerry <jrs060@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@y...>
wrote:

"URTX reefers, cleaned after bringing produce to the city, were
sent back
west with loads of candy. Model a wholesale grocer and spot a load
of candy.
Then send the car on to a produce terminal for its trip back east.

Was this sort of an lcl deal, with several candy makers' products
combined on one car for a
consignee, or were they solid loads of one manufacturer's
products? Or a little of both?
What candy makers were located in Chicago? (Baby Ruth comes to
mind.)"

To answer your questions here Walt, both LCL and car load
traffic could be used to answer the shippers needs. What ever
he had to ship, the railroad and it's freight house where
there to answer the needs.
As to the candy makers in Chicago, there are many, but the
big one that certainly comes to mind it Mars Candy Co., just
West of the Galewood city yard of the CMStP&P in Chicago
proper, and yes they did make the "Baby Ruth" bar.

Regards,

Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.

Bill Hirt <whirt@...>

Jerry wrote:

there to answer the needs. As to the candy makers in Chicago, there are many, but the
big one that certainly comes to mind it Mars Candy Co., just West of the Galewood city yard of the CMStP&P in Chicago
proper, and yes they did make the "Baby Ruth" bar.
Curtiss Candy Co was the Baby Ruth bar maker in Chicago. They also made Butterfingers. Mars Candy made M&Ms, Milky Way, Snickers and 3 Musketeers.

Bill Hirt

Jerry <jrs060@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Hirt <whirt@s...> wrote:
Curtiss Candy Co was the Baby Ruth bar maker in Chicago. They also
made
Butterfingers. Mars Candy made M&Ms, Milky Way, Snickers and 3
Musketeers.

Bill, my mistake on the candy bar, you are correct. You
must have had a bigger sweet tooth than I as a kid!

Regards,

Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.

William Hirt <whirt@...>

wrote:
Bill, my mistake on the candy bar, you are
correct. You
must have had a bigger sweet tooth than I as a
kid!
Jerry,

I've always liked Milky Way and 3 Musketeers better,
that's how I knew (plus growing up in west suburbs!).

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, Curtiss
Candy Co was along I-294 south of O'Hare. Do you know
if they use to be closer to the Galewood loading
point?

Bill Hirt

Jerry <jrs060@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, William Hirt <whirt@s...> wrote:
"I've always liked Milky Way and 3 Musketeers better,
that's how I knew (plus growing up in west suburbs!).

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, Curtiss
Candy Co was along I-294 south of O'Hare. Do you know
if they use to be closer to the Galewood loading
point?"

Bill, the only candy company at Galewood, Oak Park Ave.
in Chicago, at the West end of the yard on the CMStP&P
that I know of was Mars Candy Company.
I might add that Mr. Thompson is correct about PFE
working hard to make sure that empties went back West
promptly. It was common practice on the CMStP&P to use
an empty PFE reefer to load candy from Mars to a West
Coast destination, the PFE cars were always in better
condition than most other reefers, but you had to get
the OK from the PFE office in Chicago to do so. They
were a great bunch of people to work with, and it was
never a trouble if the SP, for example, was to get a
line haul to Los Angeles.

Regards,

Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.