PFE R-30-9

Brian Carlson

I'm working on one of the Red Caboose kits for these cars in the
1950's paint scheme. The kit comes with T-section trucks. I realize
these trucks are not appropriate for my 1957 era layout. What would
be the most typical truck applied to the R-30-9's in the late
1950's. If it would help I could post the actual car numbers.

Brian J Carlson

Richard Hendrickson

I'm working on one of the Red Caboose kits for these cars in the
1950's paint scheme. The kit comes with T-section trucks. I realize
these trucks are not appropriate for my 1957 era layout. What would
be the most typical truck applied to the R-30-9's in the late
1950's. If it would help I could post the actual car numbers.

Brian J Carlson
Brian, in all of the photos I have of R-30-9s after the T-section trucks
were replaced, the trucks that replaced them were AAR with spring planks
and Barber lateral motion bolsters. No one makes that truck in HO scale
but the closest thing to it is Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" truck.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tim O'Connor

Richard Hendrickson wrote

Brian, in all of the photos I have of R-30-9s after the T-section trucks
were replaced, the trucks that replaced them were AAR with spring planks
and Barber lateral motion bolsters. No one makes that truck in HO scale
but the closest thing to it is Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" truck.
"AAR" covers a broad spectrum, eh? A 1954 photo of PFE #93151 shows two
different trucks. Both have spring planks as you say. One resembles the
'Type Y' (2DF8) sideframe. An earlier photo of PFE #85210 clearly shows
this sideframe, and it does not appear to have the friction wedges which
(I think) identifies the Barber bolsters (or not?).

Tim O.

Brian Carlson

Thanks Richard I happen to have a few of these laying around.

Does anyone want 6 pair of Red Caboose T-Section trucks? Make me an offer.

Brian J Carlson

Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:
I'm working on one of the Red Caboose kits for these cars in the
1950's paint scheme. The kit comes with T-section trucks. I realize
these trucks are not appropriate for my 1957 era layout. What would
be the most typical truck applied to the R-30-9's in the late
1950's. If it would help I could post the actual car numbers.

Brian J Carlson
Brian, in all of the photos I have of R-30-9s after the T-section trucks
were replaced, the trucks that replaced them were AAR with spring planks
and Barber lateral motion bolsters. No one makes that truck in HO scale
but the closest thing to it is Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" truck.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

http://mail.yahoo.com

Richard Hendrickson

From Tim O'Connor:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

Brian, in all of the photos I have of R-30-9s after the T-section trucks
were replaced, the trucks that replaced them were AAR with spring planks
and Barber lateral motion bolsters. No one makes that truck in HO scale
but the closest thing to it is Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" truck.
"AAR" covers a broad spectrum, eh? A 1954 photo of PFE #93151 shows two
different trucks. Both have spring planks as you say. One resembles the
'Type Y' (2DF8) sideframe. An earlier photo of PFE #85210 clearly shows
this sideframe, and it does not appear to have the friction wedges which
(I think) identifies the Barber bolsters (or not?).
The truck with sideframes resembling the ARA Type Y was retrofitted to
numerous PFE cars replacing the original Bettendorf T-section trucks, but
not to any of the R-30-9s I have photos of, and it did not have lateral
motion devices. The Bowser PRR truck would model it fairly well. The
Barber lateral motion bolster was developed in the 1920s, years before the
Barber Stabilized design with friction wedges, and had small longitudinal
rollers between the bolster and a bearing plate on top of the spring
package so that there was limited lateral motion between the bolster and
side frames.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

Tim,

I think you are confusing the Barber lateral motion device with their
S-2 friction device (wedges). The lateral motion device went between the
truck bolster and the spring group to allow the car to move sideways
(lateral) relative to the trucks, lessening damage from shocks due to
rapid changes of direction from switches and other track conditions. The
wedges acted as shock absorbers for vertical motion such as rocking from
side to side due to poorly supported track joints.

Doug Brown