From: "armprem1" <armprem@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:31 PM
Subject: [STMFC] X29 NYC USRA Box Cars

IMHO There are far too Few Pennsy steel Box Cars other than the
X29s.For what it's worth.Armand Premo

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Feb 15, 2005, at 1:31 PM, armprem1 wrote:

IMHO There are far too Few Pennsy steel Box Cars other than the
X29s.For what it's worth.Armand Premo
X25 - Westerfield
X26c - coming from Sunshine
X31 family - Sunshine, West Shore Line and Bowser
X37 - Sunshine
X41 - Sunshine

These cover a LOT of cars in addition to the X29 family. An X38 would be nice, but we're hardly starving!

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Doug Brown <brown194@...>

Don't forget Bowser's X32 family.

The different subclasses of X37 would be really great to have. Different
subclasses had different IH by having different height transitions from
the side sheets to the roof. All had 9'-7 1/2" high door openings with a
4" range of overall height. Look at the corner caps of the different
subclasses. Almost everything else used a Z-bar to connect the two. The
X38 and X41 had the same transition as the X37B. The X37 and X38 are
also unusual in that the sides were made with one steel sheet spanning
two panels. There are no lap seams between the first and second panels,
third and fourth panels, etc. The diagram sheets also show this. The X38
diagram shows two sheets on the left and three on the right. Most of the
roof sheets also spanned two panels. Only the end roof sheets and the
center one on the X38 spanned only one panel.

Doug Brown

On Feb 15, 2005, at 1:31 PM, armprem1 wrote:

IMHO There are far too Few Pennsy steel Box Cars other than the
X29s.For what it's worth.Armand Premo
X25 - Westerfield
X26c - coming from Sunshine
X31 family - Sunshine, West Shore Line and Bowser
X37 - Sunshine
X41 - Sunshine

These cover a LOT of cars in addition to the X29 family. An X38 would
be nice, but we're hardly starving!

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Richard Hendrickson

IMHO There are far too Few Pennsy steel Box Cars other than the
X29s.For what it's worth.Armand Premo
Well, Armand, the round roof cars have been pretty well covered if you're
willing to repaint and re-letter Bowser's models. As for other PRR steel
box cars, one reason they have so seldom been modeled except in resin is
that the Pennsy was too perverse to buy freight cars of the same designs
that almost all other RRs used. Instead of AAR box cars, they got X37s
with obsolete underframes, weird roof eaves, and riveted roofs adapted from
the X29 design that, their experience should surely have told them by that
time, were guaranteed to leak sooner rather than later. And they put the
same roofs and eaves on their 50' cars as well. What was up with that?
Acting as though your in-house engineering is superior to everyone else's
is only justified if it actually IS superior, not twenty-plus years out of
date. Actually, the sheer quantity of freight cars the PRR owned is the
only reason you guys have ANY models of Pennsy freight cars. Then, of
course, we could talk about Pennsy steam locomotive design, compared with
which the sinking of the Titanic was a trivial event, but Mike and Jeff
would get after me for wandering off-topic, so let's not go there.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Greg Martin

Ricahrd writes...

"Instead of AAR box cars, they got X37s with obsolete underframes, weird roof eaves, and riveted roofs adapted from
the X29 design that, their experience should surely have told them by that time, were guaranteed to leak sooner rather than later. And they put the same roofs and eaves on their 50' cars as well."

Yea, but Richard they were so good looking you just ignore them and so many of them as well... And Damn the shipper plug that hole with chewing gum and quit whinning... ! #^)

Greg Martin

Richard Hendrickson

Greg Martin writes, about Pennsy roofs:

Yea, but Richard they were so good looking you just ignore them and so
many of them as well... And Damn the shipper plug that hole with chewing
gum and quit whinning... ! #^)
"Damn the shipper and quit whining." Wasn't that the slogan that replaced
"Standard Railroad of the World" in later years?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Greg Martin

Richard Ask...

"Damn the shipper and quit whining." Wasn't that the slogan that replaced "Standard Railroad of the World" in later years?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520"

Yes, it was as mattter of fact and now it is the favorite saying of every Union Pacific Employee... 3^)

Greg Martin

Charles Morrill <badlands@...>

Along with the UP now stands for the Usually Parked railroad.
Charlie

"Damn the shipper and quit whining." Wasn't that the slogan that replaced "Standard Railroad of the World" in later years?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520"

Yes, it was as mattter of fact and now it is the favorite saying of every Union Pacific Employee... 3^)

Greg Martin

Yahoo! Groups Links

Brian Termunde

In a message dated 2/16/2005 1:54:10 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tgregmrtn@... writes:
Yes, it was as mattter of fact and now it is the favorite saying of every
Union Pacific Employee... 3^)

Greg Martin

---> Actually I think it is UP management's (and I use the term loosely! <G>)
slogan -- it replaced "We will deliver...eventually!" UP could use some of
the managers from the Steam Era, I bet they'd set things right!

Take Care!

Brian R. Termunde
West Jordan, Utah
"Ship and Travel the Grand Canyon Line!"
Grand Canyon Railway
Utah District