From: <yardcoolieyahoo@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:18 AM
Subject: [STMFC] SOU PS-2 Covered Hoppers

Now that Kadee has released the undec PS-2s, which would be appropriate
for one or more of the SOU fleet? According to the KD site:

8201 has build dates from 57-58 and has notched roof hatch covers, hat rib
sides, and box defect card holder.

8601 has build dates from 54-56 and has strap roof hatch covers, channeled
sides, and box defect card holder.

The earlier car fits my modeling period better. I have stared at several
photos and am baffled. TIA.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

PS: Then we get to the required changes... :)

Yahoo! Groups Links

yardcoolieyahoo@...

Now that Kadee has released the undec PS-2s, which would be appropriate for one or more of the SOU fleet? According to the KD site:

8201 has build dates from 57-58 and has notched roof hatch covers, hat rib sides, and box defect card holder.

8601 has build dates from 54-56 and has strap roof hatch covers, channeled sides, and box defect card holder.

The earlier car fits my modeling period better. I have stared at several photos and am baffled. TIA.

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC

PS: Then we get to the required changes... :)

yardcoolieyahoo@...

Mr. Clarke,

Wow. I did not expect a reply from Kadee on this list. Now the hunt begins for a "good" photo or several. Thank you.

Mike

From: <mail@...>
Date: 2005/02/16 Wed PM 06:47:50 GMT
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] SOU PS-2 Covered Hoppers

Hello Mr. Turner,

Unfortunately, neither of our undec PS-2s would be a direct suitable
match for the SOU PS-2s. The Southern had 3 Pullman lots of these hopper
cars and all of them have the much less common "narrow" hatch spacing.
If someone can find a good photo of the Central of Georgia PS-2s
repainted in the Southern scheme then we could produce a SOU hopper or you
could use either of our undecs for a repainted C of G hopper in the SOU
scheme, since the C of G had a series of PS-2s in both the channel and rib
side body styles.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products

Brian Termunde

In a message dated 2/16/2005 1:21:23 PM Mountain Standard Time,
yardcoolieyahoo@... writes:
Mr. Clarke,

Wow. I did not expect a reply from Kadee on this list. Now the hunt begins
for a "good" photo or several. Thank you.

---> Especially one that basically said "Neither one of our products is
correct for what you want." That is commendable for a manufacturer to do. Thanks
Sam!

Take Care!

Brian R. Termunde
West Jordan, Utah
"Ship and Travel the Grand Canyon Line!"
Grand Canyon Railway
Utah District

mike turner <yardcoolieyahoo@...>

Yes. Kadee is building a good reputation building accurate models and giving correct information. At least with me.

If Kadee is not going to do the narrow spaced hatches (and they did not say either way), does anyone know a source of Kadee roofs and/or hatches? I scanned their parts lists and did not see a candiate. Cutting and transplanting a few hatches should occupy a few hours. :)

Mike Turner
Simpsonville, SC