New Haven Boxcar Paint & Lettering

Shawn Beckert

List,

Looking over the available Accu-cal sets today, I came across
this set for "McGinnis Era" paint and lettering:

http://www.smp-ind.com/7032.html

Note that the number series for the oxide-brown and "New Haven
Red" cars is the same, 33500-35999. A couple of questions:

1) The New Haven's PS-1's are from the 1947-1948 era. AFAIK
Kadee's PS-1 car models the later version produced in the
1950's. Would the Intermountain PS-1 have the correct carbody
to model the New Haven cars?

2) Was there any pattern or system as far as which cars were
painted "oxide" and which were "New Haven Red", or was it
totally random, depending on the paint shop or whatever?

Thanks for the help,

Shawn Beckert

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Beckert, Shawn wrote:

1) The New Haven's PS-1's are from the 1947-1948 era. AFAIK
Kadee's PS-1 car models the later version produced in the
1950's. Would the Intermountain PS-1 have the correct carbody
to model the New Haven cars.
The Intermountain PS-1 has "zits" in the apex of ends of the cars. Those "zits" I believe were first stamped on the PS-1's in 1950-1951. PS-1's built prior to that date had no "zits."

Tim Gilbert

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@d...> wrote:

The New Haven's PS-1's are from the 1947-1948 era. AFAIK
Kadee's PS-1 car models the later version produced in the
1950's. Would the Intermountain PS-1 have the correct carbody
to model the New Haven cars?
Possibly neither. The New Haven 40-foot PS-1's were 10-0 IH, IIRC, as were the
Lackawanna's.

Walt Lankenau

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@d...> wrote:

The New Haven's PS-1's are from the 1947-1948 era. AFAIK
Kadee's PS-1 car models the later version produced in the
1950's. Would the Intermountain PS-1 have the correct carbody
to model the New Haven cars?
Possibly not. The New Haven 40-foot PS-1's were 10-0 IH, IIRC, as were the
Lackawanna's.

Walt Lankenau

Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>

Shawn Beckert asked:
"Note that the number series for the oxide-brown and "New Haven
Red" cars is the same, 33500-35999. A couple of questions:

1) The New Haven's PS-1's are from the 1947-1948 era. AFAIK
Kadee's PS-1 car models the later version produced in the
1950's. Would the Intermountain PS-1 have the correct carbody
to model the New Haven cars?"

Tim Gilbert responded:
"The Intermountain PS-1 has "zits" in the apex of ends of the cars. Those
"zits" I believe were first stamped on the PS-1's in 1950-1951. PS-1's
built prior to that date had no "zits.""

and Walt Lankenau added:
"Possibly neither. The New Haven 40-foot PS-1's were 10-0 IH, IIRC, as were
the
Lackawanna's."

Not all NH PS-1s were 10 ft IH:
NH 33500-33999, 500 cars, 1947, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft 6 in
NH 34000-34999, 1000 cars, 1947, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft 6 in
NH 35000-35999, 1000 cars, 1948, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh35237ajs.jpg

The "zits" that Tim refers to are six small rectangles at the peak of the
end, which the NH cars do indeed lack. You can use the Kadee or
Intermountain car for the 10 ft 6 in cars if you remove these rectangles
along with the "bowtie" stampings in the roof panels closest to the ends.
FWIW, the 10 ft IH cars are also missing the narrow top rib. The Morning
Sun NH color guide has 4 pages of 40 ft PS-1 photos in both script and
McGinnis schemes.

Ben Hom

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Mar 1, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Not all NH PS-1s were 10 ft IH:
NH 33500-33999, 500 cars, 1947, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft 6 in
NH 34000-34999, 1000 cars, 1947, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft 6 in
NH 35000-35999, 1000 cars, 1948, 7 ft 7 panel Superior door, IH 10 ft
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh35237ajs.jpg
For those interested, Southwest Scale Production made a 7-panel Superior door for a 7' door opening that works just great to model the 10'6" IH cars.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

charmantas

Regarding 7' Superior doors, Accurail part #114 also works nicely on
an Intermountain PS-1.

Charles Harmantas

Andy Miller <asmiller@...>

Ben,
Are these anything like the "PS-0" cars offered by Funero & Camerlengo?
See:
http://www.fandckits.com/
Item#6352

regards,

Andy Miller

[...]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Give
the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/9MtolB/TM

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Mar 2, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Andy Miller wrote:

Ben,
Are these anything like the "PS-0" cars offered by Funero & Camerlengo?
See:
http://www.fandckits.com/
Item#6352
Andy:

No, they are PS-1s, just 6" inches shorter. Ben mentioned it, but it probably bears repeating that the NH cars had 7-foot door openings, meaning Kadee is not an option, but Intermountain is. Black doors as delivered, too.

By the way, while we're on this topic, does anyone know what number series was used on the CNW when they purchased secondhand NH PS-1s and when this occurred?

On Mar 2, 2005, at 5:58 AM, Ted Culotta wrote:

No, they are PS-1s, just 6" inches shorter. Ben mentioned it, but it
probably bears repeating that the NH cars had 7-foot door openings,
meaning Kadee is not an option, but Intermountain is. Black doors as
delivered, too.
Whoops! My apologies to Ben. I did not know that Kadee had released a PS-1 with a 7' door opening. Apologies to Intermountain, but Kadee is definitely the way to go. Ignore my previous post and use the Kadee car!

Ted Culotta wrote:

For those interested, Southwest Scale Production made a
7-panel Superior door for a 7' door opening that works
just great to model the 10'6" IH cars.
I tried calling Dan Hall a week or two ago at the number
listed on his price sheet, and got a recorded message saying
the number was no longer in service. I hope Dan hasn't gone
out of business, since he was the only source for certain
versions of Superior doors. Does anyone have current info on
Dan and Southwest Scale Productions?

Thanks,

Shawn Beckert

Paul Gehrett

--- "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@disney.com> wrote:

I tried calling Dan Hall a week or two ago at the
number
listed on his price sheet, and got a recorded
message
Try this:

(479) 646-9592

Paul Gehrett

pieter_roos <pieter.roos@...>

Since nobody has mentioned the following points (which may be obvious
to NH fans but possibly not others):

1. All McGinnis (or "New Image" as some prefer) paint schemes on 40
foot boxcars were repaints done in 1954 or later. The PS-1s were
delivered in "Carhide Brown" with black doors and "NYNH&H" script
heralds - as reported by Ed Hawkins some time ago on this list. Any
repaints before 1954 would have had the same scheme, but with the
doors brown instead of black. While the McGinnis cars fall within the
scope of steam-era, none ever ran behind NH steam (which was gone by
1952-53).

2. While I don't have sources handy, I think the red-orange (or "NH
red) and especially the black with orange door schemes were only
applied to AAR standard cars originally built between 1941 and 1944.
The black scheme was part of a 'sell and lease back' idea of Pat
McGinnis' witht he different paint as one indicator of the leased
status. The brown "NH" scheme would be reasonable for a post-1954
repaint of a NH PS-1.

Pieter Roos