Western Pacific Circular No. 167-E

Shawn Beckert

Fellow Listers,

I had a good time at Winterail this past weekend - but I
had an even better time at the CSRM Library in Sacramento.
One of the large documents that Ellen so kindly copied for
me is titled thusly:

THE WESTERN PACIFIC RAILROAD COMPANY
SACRAMENTO NORTHERN RAILWAY
TIDEWATER SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY

CIRCULAR No. 167-E

Industries Located At Points Served
Team Track Facilities
Ramps And Platforms
Track Scales
Icing Stations
Interchange Points

This book is large - 170 pages plus maps - and lists EVERY
industry and rail connection served by the WP and its various
subsidiaries. Even more useful: it lists the industries located
on the tracks of other railroads (SP, ATSF, UP, CCT, etc.) that
the WP-SN-TS had reciprocal switching agreements with.

Now, here's the catch, and why I need the help of the WP gurus
on the STMFC list: There is absolutely NO DATE on this publication.
Not anywhere, which is amazing (to me, anyway). The whole thing
was done on a typewriter, which probably means it predates the
computer era, though maybe not the diesel era (hard to tell). Are
any of the WP guys here familiar with this book, and can you give
ma a ballpark idea of when it was published?

Thanks ever so,

Shawn Beckert

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

Shawn, I'd be able to help -- and keen to do so. I have WP industry
listings from the mid 50's and early 60's so we can compare your undated
list to them. FWIW, your document could be as late as 1981... If the WP
still had some typewritter ribbons left they'd have used them up first
before taking delivery on a computer. 8-)

You have my e-mail?

Dave Nelson

From: Beckert, Shawn [mailto:Shawn.Beckert@...]

Now, here's the catch, and why I need the help of the WP gurus on the STMFC
list: There is absolutely NO DATE on this publication.
Not anywhere, which is amazing (to me, anyway).

Yahoo! Groups Links

Randy Williamson <pennsy@...>

Shawn

I have a Western Pacific Industrial Guide, dated July 1974. It covers the
Western Pacific, Tidewater Southern, Sacramento Northern and industries
located on railroads in the same city.

Randy

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Shawn,

I have a copy of the list as well, and yes, it is annoyingly undated. The SN Oakland line ended service in February 1957, and it is still listed here as an active station. Unless the listing is redundant, that puts an upper limit on the list.

It is an excellent resource.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff