From: Garth Groff
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:54 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Intermountain shake-up?

Friends,

I was sad to see Marty leave Intermountain, and hope that wherever he
goes, he rejoins our group. Does anyone know if he is moving out of
Colorado, and what he will be doing?

I picked up tidbits here the other day that Marty was not the only one
to leave Intermountain. Does anyone know what is happening there, and
how it is likely to affect us?

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Beckert, Shawn wrote:

>It may be too late to ask this since Marty no longer works
>for Intermountain . . . .

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 7, 2005, at 4:54 AM, Garth Groff wrote:

Friends,

I was sad to see Marty leave Intermountain, and hope that wherever he
goes, he rejoins our group. Does anyone know if he is moving out of
Colorado, and what he will be doing?

I picked up tidbits here the other day that Marty was not the only one
to leave Intermountain. Does anyone know what is happening there, and
how it is likely to affect us?
For Marty personally, this may be good news if it means that he'll finally have time for his own modeling.

For the rest of us, it's almost certain to be bad news. Intermountain recently issued a press release announcing that Matt Gaudynski has been appointed vice-president of engineering and research. They describe him as being knowledgeable and highly qualified in prototype research, but I'd be surprised if anyone on this list has ever heard of him, and that's not a good sign.

Richard Hendrickson

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

For Marty personally, this may be good news if it means that he'll
finally have time for his own modeling.

For the rest of us, it's almost certain to be bad news.
Intermountain
recently issued a press release announcing that Matt Gaudynski has
been
appointed vice-president of engineering and research. They describe
him as being knowledgeable and highly qualified in prototype
research,
but I'd be surprised if anyone on this list has ever heard of him,
and
that's not a good sign.

Richard Hendrickson
Matt used to work with/for Ron Sebastian and seems like a good man
from the few contacts I've had with him. I doubt he has Marty's
energy, drive or contacts, but then few humans do.

Tom Madden

armprem

I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders "is over
and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the distributor's".Our gold
in their pockets.Distributors do not produce or develop products.Armand
Premo

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

branchline@...

I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders "is over
and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the distributor's".Our gold
in their pockets.Distributors do not produce or develop products.Armand
Premo
Beggin' to differ here Armand, but there are at least a few exceptions - Walthers, Bowser and Branchline come to mind....

As far as where the gold goes, where do you think all the LHS's have been buying most of their stuff all these years?

Bill Schneider

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:33 AM, pullmanboss wrote:

Matt [Gaudynski] used to work with/for Ron Sebastian and seems like a good man
from the few contacts I've had with him. I doubt he has Marty's
energy, drive or contacts, but then few humans do.

Tom Madden
Tom, I'm relieved to learn that IM's new R&D guy has some background in the hobby. IM has a number of freight car projects that are in process or are/were in the planning stages which are of great interest to many subscribers on this list, and it would be unfortunate if they failed to materialize.

Richard Hendrickson

Dave Nelson <muskoka@...>

armand premo wrote:
I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders
"is over and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the
distributor's".Our gold in their pockets.Distributors do not produce
or develop products.
Armand Premo
I think it's rather obvious that the market is mature and will not support
as many manufacturers as it has in the past, hence the consolidation.
Whether it's because there is a fixed number of consumers and too many
products or the right number of products and fewer consumers, well, I dunno.
But there isn't enough $$ in the market anymore to keep all boats afloat.
Now whatever profit that used to be split 2 ways now is kept entirely by
just one. We'll just have to see if that means more products or meerly
survival, at least for a while. My hunch is on the later.

What I'm most curious about tho is whether the move to RTR at premium prices
was cause or effect.

Dave Nelson

branchline@...

I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders "is over
and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the distributor's".Our gold
in their pockets.Distributors do not produce or develop products.Armand
Premo
Beggin' to differ here Armand, but there are at least a few exceptions -
Walthers, Bowser and Branchline come to mind....

As far as where the gold goes, where do you think all the LHS's have been
buying most of their stuff all these years?

Bill Schneider

George Hollwedel <georgeloop1338@...>

I have dealt with Matt in producing two prototype Steam Era special run N Scale freight cars. He is a knowledgeable person, I wouldn't worry on that aspect.

Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com> wrote:
[...]

George Hollwedel
Prototype N Scale Models
georgeloop@austin.rr.com
310 Loma Verde Street
Buda, TX 78610-9785
512-796-6883

Greg Martin

Tom, Richard and all,

I have not had any direct conversation with Matt as of yet but a few brief exchanges in the PRRT&HS Modeling Committee in the past with Marty included regrding their F unit program. I have heard from some freinds in the Chicago area that Matt worked with or for Ron as Tom mentioned as well as has work for KATO in the past they used the words, "well respected". I believe that he is personally more focused on N Scale than HO but that shouldn't hinder our expectations. I look forward to working with him in the near future and believe it is a good move for him and a he will work with the us as he gets his feet on the ground. I am not sure that I would call the changes a "shake-up" just a change. I for the momment with arrest my spectualtion... There's much to do with IM and the PRRT&HS as far as the F unit program goes.

Greg Martin

On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:33 AM, pullmanboss wrote:

Matt [Gaudynski] used to work with/for Ron Sebastian and seems like a
good man
from the few contacts I've had with him. I doubt he has Marty's
energy, drive or contacts, but then few humans do.

Tom Madden
Tom, I'm relieved to learn that IM's new R&D guy has some background in
the hobby. IM has a number of freight car projects that are in process
or are/were in the planning stages which are of great interest to many
subscribers on this list, and it would be unfortunate if they failed to
materialize.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups Links

fuchst900

I think it is good to let these manufactures know that we appreciate the "kits". I took a Bowser ACF covered hopper and applied all the extra detail and was very pleased with the way it came out. I told them so and told them the cost of the extra ( ladders, hoses braking etc). I dont want them to go the China route, but without feed back they may make decisions based on the dollar and the "way all others are going". Steve Fuchs

branchline@sbcglobal.net wrote:> I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders "is
over
and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the distributor's".Our
gold
in their pockets.Distributors do not produce or develop products.Armand
Premo
Beggin' to differ here Armand, but there are at least a few exceptions -
Walthers, Bowser and Branchline come to mind....

As far as where the gold goes, where do you think all the LHS's have been
buying most of their stuff all these years?

Bill Schneider

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

In regard to what Dave has said about too many manufacturers and the
lack of customers is coming true, at least here in the Delaware Valley.
The number of Hobby Shops has dwindled to only about five or six (none
close together) and most are not what we knew as full service hobby
stores. Several of the remaining larger shops are large scale
(Lionel/MTH/K Line/etc.) and do not carry the smaller scales.

In addition, one of the larger shops, Mitchell's in Wilmington, De. has
now stopped carrying kits altogether. This was a decision that was made
in the last two months. They had a big 40% off sale and blew out almost
all of the kits on the shelves. They will only carry assembled models
from now on. For them, this was new, as they discontinued detail parts
and decals four or five years ago and in the last two years their policy
on new brass is that they will only order it if a buyer orders it and
places an deposit. They continue to buy and sell collections.

This seems to be a trend with a lot of the stores in this area as there
are not enough people who want kits because they no longer have the time
to build them. It seems that the more advanced we become, the less
time we have to devote to leisure. Americans work longer and have less
time off to to do other things outside of work than people in other
countries.

Fortunately, many of the new toys in our hobby that have come on the
market have been so well done, that there is little to do to improve
them. Either way, I sometimes wish that we had some of this stuff
twenty years ago.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

Dave Nelson wrote:

armand premo wrote:

[...]

Bill,My humble apologies.I never considered Branchline nor Bowser
distributors.Let us look at the hobby today;MDC gone,Athearn gone .While the
brand name still exists smaller hobby shops are finding it difficult to buy
in large enough quantities to satisfy the megadistributor's
minimums.Again,let me apologize .I feel that both Branchline and Bowser ,if

they are distributors,exceptions.Armand Premo---- Original Message -----
I suspect that the so called "Golden Age for model railroaders "is
over
and is now being replaced by the "Golden age for the distributor's".Our
gold
in their pockets.Distributors do not produce or develop products.Armand
Premo
Beggin' to differ here Armand, but there are at least a few exceptions -
Walthers, Bowser and Branchline come to mind....

As far as where the gold goes, where do you think all the LHS's have been
buying most of their stuff all these years?

Bill Schneider

Yahoo! Groups Links

branchline@...

No insult taken Armand, don't worry.

As far as MDC and Athearn being "gone", I suspect that the folks at Horizon
would question that as well. Both companies (now under one umbrella)
continue to make new product. However, I'm not sure what the effect of the
Horizon deal is on new product development (remembering that it takes a year
or two at least to get to market on a new product). There certainly are
stores that have issues with the Horizon business model, but let's not get
into that here.

Branchline is the manufacturing arm of Hobby Stores Distributing, and Bowser
distributes lines other than its own as well. Walthers, of course, also has
a distribution side, or so I hear... :>)

Without a doubt, the market today is much different than when I got my first
job in a hobby shop some 20+ years ago, but in my mind the "Golden Age for
model railroaders" is right here, right now. There has never been such a
great variety of products at the level of quality offered today. Be careful
what you wish for, I suspect that a return to the "good old days" would
disappoint many on this list!

Bill

[...]

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Tom Richard and all,

Adding a little fuel to this fire (or water depending on how you
approach it), we are putting the finishing touches on a Monon Society
Car project that Matt has handled all the way. There have been two
revisions to get the amount of lettering detail desired with no problem
with attention to detail and levels of cooperation. I expect our
project to be completed on schedule even with the transition at
InterMountain. I think we call that a seamless transition.

The car project? 50 ft. PS-1's built for the Monon in 1957 at the tail
end of the steam era.

Mont Switzer

On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:33 AM, pullmanboss wrote:

Matt [Gaudynski] used to work with/for Ron Sebastian and seems like a
good man
from the few contacts I've had with him. I doubt he has Marty's
energy, drive or contacts, but then few humans do.

Tom Madden
Tom, I'm relieved to learn that IM's new R&D guy has some background in
the hobby. IM has a number of freight car projects that are in process
or are/were in the planning stages which are of great interest to many
subscribers on this list, and it would be unfortunate if they failed to
materialize.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

dphobbies

For the rest of us, it's almost certain to be bad news.
Intermountain
recently issued a press release announcing that Matt Gaudynski has
been
appointed vice-president of engineering and research. They describe
him as being knowledgeable and highly qualified in prototype
research,
but I'd be surprised if anyone on this list has ever heard of him,
and
that's not a good sign.

Richard Hendrickson
Not to worry about Matt Gaudinski. His main drawback is his age, and
I'm sure that will improve with time. When he first joined us, he was
less than half our age, but he is getting better now. Otherwise, you
will find him well suited to his position at Intermountain. Marty
found him well qualified when he hired him as his eventual replacement
two and a half years ago. I've been trying to get him back ever since
then.

Few folks here would be familiar with Matt's modelling as it is N
Scale, however seen in photos it looks like HO

There was no shakeup at Intermountain as far as I know, just Marty
finding a job a lot closer to home and his sons.

I suspect some of you will get to know Matt, but most won't. Just
think of him as the Quiet Giant if you meet him at a show. Some may
have already met him, but didn't know it. He was the quiet guy.

Ron Sebastian
Des Plaines

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

Friends,

I was sad to see Marty leave Intermountain, and hope that wherever he
goes, he rejoins our group. Does anyone know if he is moving out of
Colorado, and what he will be doing?

I picked up tidbits here the other day that Marty was not the only one
to leave Intermountain. Does anyone know what is happening there, and
how it is likely to affect us?

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff
Garth,

I don't think it was a shakeup.

I've known Marty for quite a few years, so on his announcement, I asked him
if the news indicated a good move for him. His response;

"Not good news, but to me great news.

I'm heading back to Washington to work for a company that does work for the
DoD and DHS (Homeland Security -- certainly a growth industry!)"

Marty will be back on the list when things get settled down again, but his
comments to me certainly seemed to indicate he thought Matt would be an
excellent replacement for him at Intermountain.

Nothing in his comments indicated his move was anything more than personal
advancement, not a "shakeup" at Intermountain.

Dick

Robert Welsh <bobwelsh32971@...>

As my father says many times.....

"Things aren't like they used to be... and they never
were"

[...]

http://personals.yahoo.com

Matt Gaudynski

For the rest of us, it's almost certain to be bad news. Intermountain
recently issued a press release announcing that Matt Gaudynski has been
appointed vice-president of engineering and research. They describe
him as being knowledgeable and highly qualified in prototype research,
but I'd be surprised if anyone on this list has ever heard of him, and
that's not a good sign.
Hello Everyone,

It's me, the guy you never heard of. I figured since my name came up so often, I
might as well chime in. The doom and gloom coment above is really interesting. At
first I brushed it off since stuff like this really has no impact on me. But the more I
saw it repeated in replys, the more I realized it is uncalled for. A simple question of
who I was may have worked well. Making a judgement based on no knowledge is an
interesting way to communicate. It would appear that if you do not have an
incredible love to hear yourself talk or have marquee name, you simply don't rate in
this arena. That's OK. It's not me nor will it be.

For those that spoke up on my behalf, a sincere "Thank You" to you all. That is the
type of attitude that I really enjoy about the people in this hobby. Almost everyone
I've dealt with is very eager and willing to help. Also, there are many that view this
transition with great prospects. I tend to be on their side. Nothing against Marty, I
wish him the best and consider him a friend ( I spoke with him yesterday by the way
and he is doing well back east.)

For those that don't know me, my brief history is as follows: I've been in the
business end of model trains for the better part of 17 years (Geez Ron, you're right, I
am getting older=) That's longer than my predecessor or even the company. I've
been playing with and watching trains longer than that. My experience has been with
hobby shops, distributors and manufacturing. My personal layout is indeed N scale,
but I have built in all major scales. In fact, I can almost guarantee that everyone has
seen my work in a variety of magazines and even a catalog cover, but you'll never
see my name by it. Am I an expert on all aspects of this hobby? Not by a long shot.
But over the years I've picked up a little and certainly use the help of others who
know a particular subject rather well. Everyone has a specific interest and that
information is valuable. I look forward to the challenges of making IRC an even
better place over the next few years.

Again, Thank you gentlemen for the support and Hello to everyone else. I look
forward to working with and meeting many of you.

Sincerely,

Matt Gaudynski