Sergent Coupler Scale Gearbox Mod

John Degnan <RailScaler@...>

I have just finished work on fitting one of the NEW Sergent coupler into one of Kadee's scale draft gearboxes... AND... incorporated a CENTERING SPRING! And it works like a charm.

Using a (modified) 3/16" chisel-blade, I had to completely remove the "screw-post" in the Kadee gearbox, and replace it with some small, (round) plastic tube of the same or near-same diameter as the screw-post hole in the coupler's shank. I cut the tube to the right length (which is about 1/32") and glued it in the gearbox slightly farther back from where the original post had been to acquire a closer coupling effect.

After the glue dried, I drilled down through the tube through the lid of the gearbox to create a new screw-hole. I drilled through from the other direction after the lid was installed to relocate the hole in the lid. NOTE : Relocating the hole for closer coupling is an optional step that will require drilling and tapping a new hole on the model which will receive this new assembly.

Next, I had to slightly file down the sides of the coupler's shank next to where the screw-post of the gearbox goes through the shank to get it to fit into the Kadee gearbox width-wise. I also had to file away some of the thickness of the top of the Sergent's shank to keep it from getting pinched between the lid and lower section of the gearbox when it is assembled. (The thickness of the Sergent's shank is the biggest drawback I can see)

And the final step was to trim and bend a spare brass strip which I got from a LifeLike E-unit (the brass strip that is used for centering the rear coupler's mounting pad/arm) and fit it inside the Kadee gearbox behind the coupler. I bent the brass strip in a 'flat-sided crescent' shape so that there would be a flat section of it touching the flat end of the coupler, leaving the two ends of the brass strip to end (terminate) in the rear corners of the gearbox.

All-in-all, this took about an hour to complete... trial and error time included. Now I have a coupler and gearbox combination that simply cannot be beat!

Diagram of parts and steps (and maybe photos as well) coming as soon as I have time to get them done. If interested, let me know.

John Degnan
RailScaler@...
John's World on the Web :
http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/welcome.htm
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody is entitled to their own truth!

Pete Brown &#92;(YahooGroups&#92;) <YahooLists@...>

John, this sounds great!

I'm definitely interested. While I think I have a decent picture of what you
did, please feel free to share as much information as you can.

Pete

Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
(wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

_____

[...]

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

I second Pete's motion. Sounds like a heck of a good idea.
Gene Green
--- In STMFC@..., "Pete Brown &#92;(YahooGroups&#92;)"

RailScaler@c...
John's World on the Web :
http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/welcome.htm
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody is entitled
to their
own truth!

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

Very interested, John

Rob Kirkham

Lee B Singletary <LBSingletary@...>

Please Post Them!
Has anyone tried coupling a Sergents to the Accurail Scale Coupler?

Lee Singletary
Alabaster, Alabama
http://lee.rrpicturearchives.net/

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:00:39 -0500 "John Degnan" <RailScaler@...>
writes:

[...]

For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site that shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using a Servent Engineering coupler in it. You can see the diagram on the following page :

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/modeling.htm

Comments, complaints, compliments and questions welcome.

writes:

> I have just finished work on fitting one of the NEW Sergent coupler
> into one of Kadee's scale draft gearboxes... AND... incorporated a
> CENTERING SPRING! And it works like a charm.
>
> Using a (modified) 3/16" chisel-blade, I had to completely remove
> the "screw-post" in the Kadee gearbox, and replace it with some
> small, (round) plastic tube of the same or near-same diameter as the
> screw-post hole in the coupler's shank. I cut the tube to the right
> length (which is about 1/32") and glued it in the gearbox slightly
> farther back from where the original post had been to acquire a
> closer coupling effect.
>
> After the glue dried, I drilled down through the tube through the
> lid of the gearbox to create a new screw-hole. I drilled through
> from the other direction after the lid was installed to relocate the
> hole in the lid. NOTE : Relocating the hole for closer coupling is
> an optional step that will require drilling and tapping a new hole
> on the model which will receive this new assembly.
>
> Next, I had to slightly file down the sides of the coupler's shank
> next to where the screw-post of the gearbox goes through the shank
> to get it to fit into the Kadee gearbox width-wise. I also had to
> file away some of the thickness of the top of the Sergent's shank to
> keep it from getting pinched between the lid and lower section of
> the gearbox when it is assembled. (The thickness of the Sergent's
> shank is the biggest drawback I can see)
>
> And the final step was to trim and bend a spare brass strip which I
> got from a LifeLike E-unit (the brass strip that is used for
> centering the rear coupler's mounting pad/arm) and fit it inside the
> Kadee gearbox behind the coupler. I bent the brass strip in a
> 'flat-sided crescent' shape so that there would be a flat section of
> it touching the flat end of the coupler, leaving the two ends of the
> brass strip to end (terminate) in the rear corners of the gearbox.
>
> All-in-all, this took about an hour to complete... trial and error
> time included. Now I have a coupler and gearbox combination that
> simply cannot be beat!
>
> Diagram of parts and steps (and maybe photos as well) coming as soon
> as I have time to get them done. If interested, let me know.
>

> John Degnan
> RailScaler@...
> John's World on the Web :
> http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/welcome.htm
> Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody is entitled to
> their own truth!

Pete Brown &#92;(YahooGroups&#92;) <YahooLists@...>

Very nice. Thanks for posting that, John.

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "John Degnan" <RailScaler@c...> wrote:
For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site
that shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using
a Servent Engineering coupler in it.

Thanks.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

fuchst900

Could this be posted on teh STMFC site? Steve

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...> wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "John Degnan" <RailScaler@c...> wrote:
For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site
that shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using
a Servent Engineering coupler in it.

Thanks.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

John Van Buekenhout <jvanbu1347@...>

What is John Degnan's e-mail address as I would like to see his drawings for the Sergent draft gear modification? I have been on John Degnan's Seaboard Airline site so two things come to mind: 1) am I at the correct site and, 2) if I am at the correct site then what is the drawing's correct listing? Thanks.
Jack

Could this be posted on teh STMFC site? Steve

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...> wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "John Degnan" <RailScaler@c...> wrote:
For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site
that shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using
a Servent Engineering coupler in it.

Thanks.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Yahoo! Groups Links

Kert Peterson <kertp@...>

On 4/14/2005, John Degnan wrote:

For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site that
shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using a
Servent Engineering coupler in it. You can see the diagram on the
following page :

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/modeling.htm

Comments, complaints, compliments and questions welcome.
John,

Nice job. I read a post on the RPM list that included correspondence with
Frank Sergent. According to Frank, his new couplers are designed to fit
the Accurail Proto HO boxes. Have you tried on of them yet?

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Bon Vivant, Raconteur and Occasional Microferroequinologist

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Apr 15, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Kert Peterson wrote:

On 4/14/2005, John Degnan wrote:

For all who were interested, I have posted the diagram on my web site that
shows the modifications I made to a scale Kadee gearbox for using a
Servent Engineering coupler in it. You can see the diagram on the
following page :

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/modeling.htm

Comments, complaints, compliments and questions welcome.
John,

Nice job. I read a post on the RPM list that included correspondence with
Frank Sergent. According to Frank, his new couplers are designed to fit
the Accurail Proto HO boxes. Have you tried on of them yet?
Kert:

I read the same message and I think someone misinterpreted Frank's comments. What he said to me, via email, after I suggested that he do another version that would be a "drop in" for the current Protomate draft gear, was the following:

"I'm sitting on a design that will fit the Accurail box right now. It was a bit of a toss up as to what shank to initially introduce the coupler with. I couldn't do both -- too many $$$ for tooling. I did ensure that only one casting would have to change to allow the more narrow shank. I guessed that the "compatible" shank would generate more sales dollars initially to fund the narrow shank and other variations on the design. Time will tell whether or not that was the right move."

FWIW, I agree with his approach, while lamenting it at the same time.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

John Degnan <RailScaler@...>

John,
Nice job. I read a post on the RPM list that
included correspondence with Frank Sergent.
According to Frank, his new couplers are designed
to fit the Accurail Proto HO boxes. Have you
tried on of them yet?
Nope, I haven't. I had no plans to buy a pair of those. Guess I'll have to buy at least one now to see if the Sergent Coupler will work with the gearbox.

On 4/15/2005, Ted Culotta wrote:

... I think someone misinterpreted Frank's
comments. What he said to me, via email, after I suggested that he do
another version that would be a "drop in" for the current Protomate
draft gear, was the following:

"I'm sitting on a design that will fit the Accurail box right now. It
was a bit of a toss up as to what shank to initially introduce the
coupler with. I couldn't do both -- too many $$$ for tooling. I did
ensure that only one casting would have to change to allow the more
narrow shank. I guessed that the "compatible" shank would generate more
sales dollars initially to fund the narrow shank and other variations
on the design. Time will tell whether or not that was the right move."

FWIW, I agree with his approach, while lamenting it at the same time.
Ted,

I, too, lament Frank's approach. I wrote him a year or so ago and told him
that if I could get his couplers to work in the pilot coupler box on my
brass steam locomotives, that I would start the switch process to his
couplers. I guess he hasn't changed his mind about getting the coupler to
be more prototypical that just a nice knuckle.